Talk

Advanced search

To want a tumble drier again [its the autumn]

(47 Posts)
pushchair Sun 07-Sep-08 15:07:23

I know I felt like this last year. Its the thought of months of that merry go round of hanging on racks or the radiator, turning it all over to dry the damper side the next day, taking most off but not all the day after that because some still isnt dry and the laundry pile meanwhile growing higher and higher.
My house is small.
It would not fit in the kitchen.
DP is against the idea.
I cant really afford it.
BUT I want one. I have read other threads on the eternal laundry conundrum but basically I want you all to say yes go and get one.

policywonk Sun 07-Sep-08 15:14:18

Try joining Freecycle if you haven't already - they occasionally come up on there.

They really do eat money and energy, that's the downside (I have one myself and use it in the winter, and I know what you mean about drying stuff on radiators).

Could you get one but try to compensate by reducing your energy use in other ways - use the central heating less, have showers instead of baths, use energy-saving lightbulbs and so on?

Someone on here once posted that they do their laundry, leave it to get semi-dry overnight on those big airers, and then finish it off in the tumble dryer the next day (or, if it's a dry day, you might even be able to finish it off outside). At least then you're using it as little as possible.

BCNS Sun 07-Sep-08 15:24:34

Go get one.... absolute godsend.

(mine is out in the shed)

I only use it when the weather has been bad for days, and the radiators are full. Or when something has to be dry right now!. I also rotate the radiator stuff, into the tumble so not running it so much if it is a really wet week.

Using it like this isn't actually that expensive.. but I have the peace of mind that I can get stuff dry.

Anna8888 Sun 07-Sep-08 15:26:54

Where are you going to put it? Can you not stack it on top of your washing machine? I have stacked machines and it saves a lot of space.

A tumble dryer is a complete and absolute necessity in my life.

traceybath Sun 07-Sep-08 15:28:29

I've just ordered one today as sick to death of trying to get washing dry at the moment.

As others have said am going to continue to dry as much as possible outside and just finish off in the drier.

SmugColditz Sun 07-Sep-08 15:28:34

Put it in your bedroom next to the window.

Not having a tumble drier is utter drudgery I can do without. And they aren't as expensive to run as people think.

twoluvlykids Sun 07-Sep-08 15:33:47

i found with washing drying on the radiators, all the corners in the rooms went black and yucky, so i use the tumble drier a lot more now, as it's easier than constantly cleaning corners! it just makes life easier.

expatinscotland Sun 07-Sep-08 15:35:40

also, depending on your supplier, it may be more expensive to dry things on your radiators (as someone here put it best, it's never free to evaporate water) than to run a dryer.

RubyRioja Sun 07-Sep-08 15:36:15

go buy one - tis insane to fill house with unnecessary humidity.

Make the most of good drying days, save on ironing.

Only someone who did not have to worry about the laundry would say not very useful

expatinscotland Sun 07-Sep-08 15:37:55

i love doing laundry, but i won't lie, i also love our tumble dryer.

Anna8888 Sun 07-Sep-08 15:38:08

Actually, it would be "free" to me to evaporate water because our central heating is communal to the block.

But since we only have six teensy-weensy radiators that have radiator covers and are hence totally inaccessible for clothes drying, the tumble drier is vitally important.

RubyRioja Sun 07-Sep-08 15:39:34

Expat - come and visit me and have a ball with our laundry wink

expatinscotland Sun 07-Sep-08 15:40:49

this house is riddled with damp, runs on LPG (which costs a bomb) and we had 263.2mm of rain in the last month.

i dry things on racks in winter when the heat's on - not on radiators, though - but truly the dryer does come in handy, especially in this summer, which has been extraordinarily wet and chilly.

Sassafrass Sun 07-Sep-08 15:40:52

We have a combined washer/dryer, saves space and is a lifesaver in the winter.

MrsWeasley Sun 07-Sep-08 15:41:05

pushchair, I know how you feel, we used to have a washer/dryer but when we moved we intended on getting seperate washier and tumble dryer but it never happened.

On holiday we went to the laundrette and used the dryer and it was bliss. We agreed to go home and order a dryer but it still hasn't happened My DH had a day off in the week we decied on a dryer, checked it was in stock all he had to do was pick it up but he never got around to it hmm (in fact he didnt get around to doing anything angry )

He has 1 last chance this week! wink

I am fed up of constantly looking a clothes all over my house trying to get them dry (I dont even have a washing line as he took the posts down. I feel like I live in a laundry.

Sorry, Rant over blush

ilovemydog Sun 07-Sep-08 15:41:25

I hate having to have one, but only use when absolutely necessary.

Anna8888 Sun 07-Sep-08 15:43:11

The best thing about a tumble drier is that you can iron your clothes straight out of it ie still slightly damp - they are much quicker to iron and you get to put it all straight back in the clothes cupboards - no washing hanging around all over the place.

pushchair Sun 07-Sep-08 15:54:11

I used the tumble drier in holiday cotage 2 years ago [ah happy memories] and all of our washing was dry in 1 hour. It was very efficient and I think I would put stuff on racks overnight and finish in TD. I think the only place I could fit it unfortunatly would be next to DPs side of the bed in rather cramped bedroom so literally in his face. Thank you ladies I am thinking of ways to Do It!

expatinscotland Sun 07-Sep-08 15:55:34

in our flat we had the dryer as a bedside table on my side of the bed.

penona Sun 07-Sep-08 15:56:50

I had just come on here to start a post about how do people cope without a tumble dryer in this weather. We don't have one and it is driving me insane. Was fine before the DTs came along as not alot of washing.

So, the consensus is, I do need one?! No other tips?

supercollider Sun 07-Sep-08 15:58:15

I think you can get diddy ones - they might be more expensive though.

You have to think about where you're going to put the outlet pipe, if you're going to have one. Either that or you need to buy a condensing one.

Anna8888 Sun 07-Sep-08 16:00:11

I have a condensing drier stacked above my washing machine. Very space efficient.

expatinscotland Sun 07-Sep-08 16:16:14

i put jeans and towels in for about 20 mins. before pegging on the line and they don't go all crunchy or wrinkly.

Shoshe Sun 07-Sep-08 16:27:52

I take things out when still hot shake and hang as well, so don't iron anything grin

bloomingfedup Sun 07-Sep-08 17:27:23

If possible get one. I have one and I could'nt live without it. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now