Talk

Advanced search

Or, am I worrying unnecessarily?

(11 Posts)
bigTillyMint Sun 07-Sep-08 14:07:57

My DC have been doing swimming lessons for a while and love swimming. Because they are now at or near the end of the levels taught in the lessons, I looked into them joining a club, but there are none conveniently near angry. So they tried at trials at club about half an hour away and both just been offered places straight into the club squad. (Proud mummy moment!)

BUT the training clashes with their cubs/brownies, etc and it would be a a mare doing the run, and it costs an arm and a leg to be in the club.....

Do you think they will blame us for not encouraging them to go for it?!

Overmydeadbody Sun 07-Sep-08 14:10:37

no

Overmydeadbody Sun 07-Sep-08 14:10:51

you are over-worrying

mummyloveslucy Sun 07-Sep-08 14:20:13

Ask them what they would prefere, Cubs, Brownies or swimming. If they love swimming that much, they wouldn't mind dropping one of their hobbies.

bigTillyMint Sun 07-Sep-08 14:33:44

Well, DD would give up cubs, but not brownies and DS doesn't want to give up beavers, so that makes the logistics very difficult....

DS was pretty fast, and the club coach was very keen for him to start... I guess I've just watched too much of the Olympics!

FWIW, I was never a sporting acheiver, though always gave it a go, so I've no experience of doing a sport to competetive levels...

mummyloveslucy Sun 07-Sep-08 14:40:55

I've got not experience either but I'm sure that to do well, like anything he's got to love doing it. He'll also have to be prepared to give up other things and put swimming first.
Have a chat with him and see what he really wants. Good luck. smile

roisin Sun 07-Sep-08 14:53:03

I wouldn't get involved with a swimming club half an hour away.

Round here for the bottom squad of the club they train twice a week, but once you get beyond that into the competitive squads they are training 4+ times a week. In the elite squad (not that elite iyswim, it includes some children as young as 8!) they train 6 times a week after school/evenings. And before competitions they often have extra sessions before school as well.

If they enjoy swimming keep them in lessons as long as possible, then keep taking them 'for fun' as often as you can.

kiddiz Sun 07-Sep-08 15:31:55

I had a friend at school who swam competitively at county level. She trained 5 days a week before and after school. This was a few (!!!)years ago so I expect that the commitment expections are probably greater than that now.
It's quite a commitment in time from you and your dcs and they really need to want to do it and be prepared to make sacrifices.
If they are still at cubs and brownies age I'm guessing they are still quite young so I would be clear from the club what sort of commitment they expect and then discuss it with your dcs. Good luck

Shoshe Sun 07-Sep-08 15:50:05

Back in the dark ages, myself and My brothers all swam competitively, (ending up Commonwealth level) and trained morning and evening, 5 days a week.

The club was a hour away.

Our lives revolved around swimming, we didn't have time for anything else.

And although we did all do well at school, homework was done in the car, on the way to training, and week ends were taken up with swim meets.

Do I regret it?

No not really, but I gave up at 15, as it was just to much, and I wanted a teenage life.

My middle brother carried on until his early twenties, but his twin gave up at 17.

it does take a lot of dedication, not only on the swimmer but the whole family.

My eldest brother never really got to see my Father or us, as he didn't swim.

struwellpeter Sun 07-Sep-08 16:08:29

My ds1 did swimming with a local club for a while. He started off doing two evenings a week but there was soon pressure to increase this. We weren't sorry when he decided to stop as it seemed to be taking over even though we live close to the pool so I didn't have to wait there with the younger dcs.

I'm glad he did it as he now has a very good strong swimming style which will stand him in good stead for life.

How about asking the place where your dcs do lessons at the moment if there is any possibility of an advanced class?

bigTillyMint Sun 07-Sep-08 16:41:10

Thanks so much eveyone, you have made me feel much better - I was also worried how onerous the training is and would be in future, and whether they would be dedicated enough to keep going.

I think we will keep going with the swimming lessons as long as possible, and look again at clubs in the future if they are still keen.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now