Talk

Advanced search

To not want to have to find more than £200 for a school trip in january....

(100 Posts)
filthymindedvixen Sat 06-Sep-08 21:04:35

Ye gods, does anyone have any spare cash in January??

And to make matters worse, ds2's birthday is end of october, dh and mum are mid december and ds1's is right before xmas.

We are skint already and the idea of having to find £200 for this trip is making me feel quite sick.

I can't go and plead poverty as i am a governor and it would be utterly mortifying.

IllegallyBrunette Sat 06-Sep-08 21:05:46

Can you not pay it off a bit at a time ??

When dd1 went to France with the school, we just paid a deposit and then paid it off in small chunks.

SuperBunny Sat 06-Sep-08 21:07:51

Schools usually let you pay in installments. And let you pay what you can afford - legally they have to.

Being a Governor doesn't mean you have to have spare cash.

Where are they going that costs $200? Even our Y5 week-long residential didn't cost that much.

AvenaLife Sat 06-Sep-08 21:08:06

Bloody hell! How do all the parents on benefits cope? shock Can you put aside a bit each week? I'd plead poverty, times are getting hard, governor or not. They shouldn't plan trips that cost this much just after christmas, if you can't afford it then there's going to be others who can't either. Maybe you should have a chat with the head and ask for it to take place later ih the year because all the parents on benefits wo't be having a christmas if you don't.

filthymindedvixen Sat 06-Sep-08 21:08:09

yes but it all has to be paid by the trip in january, so it makes no difference whether I pay £50 a month between now and jan or £200 now, I still have to find the money so soon after xmas IYSWIM. It's not like I can defer payment til, ooh, say May.

filthymindedvixen Sat 06-Sep-08 21:10:21

It's a sodding 5 day residential at an outward bound place, not a week in the algarve...

I mean, we didn't spend £200 on the family holiday this year.

The problem is ds1 hates school and lived for this trip last year, but was at a more civilised time of year to find the cash. He is so excited about this one...

I'm really pissed off tbh

DrNortherner Sat 06-Sep-08 21:10:57

Blimey fmv where are they taking them? Does yuor ds have to go?

DrNortherner Sat 06-Sep-08 21:11:39

Good God that is a ridiculous amount of cash.

AvenaLife Sat 06-Sep-08 21:12:39

You need to convince them of the benefits of changing the day to later in the academic year. All the ones that are scraping by will have more time, the weather will be better etc.

wheresthehamster Sat 06-Sep-08 21:14:00

The cost goes up when the weather gets better.

Ours changed from March (£195) to June (£350) shock

filthymindedvixen Sat 06-Sep-08 21:14:38

I suspect it is then because that is when the place has vacancies. We only found out yesterday. I want to say something to the head but I suspect she wll say ''it's then or not at all....''
All the year 6 kids had such a fab time on the last one. Not going is NOT an option.

AvenaLife Sat 06-Sep-08 21:16:22

What about the parents that can't afford it?

filthymindedvixen Sat 06-Sep-08 21:17:24

exactly Avena. I'm one of them!
(DH was out of work for the first 4 months of this year and we are still playing catch up from that.)

AvenaLife Sat 06-Sep-08 21:20:08

Hmm. This seems very off to me. All those parents who struggle to pay for christmas as it is will have the added expense of this. I would refuse to let my child go and save the money, then take him away for a few days once money's not so tight. They shouldn't have parents over a barrel like this. It's very unfair to assume that everyone has this cash to spare so close to christmas. Did you have alot of notice for this?

filthymindedvixen Sat 06-Sep-08 21:24:05

found out on friday angry

suey2 Sat 06-Sep-08 21:24:51

agree with avenalife. Have you discussed it as the main Christmas present? Could you afford it then?

SqueakyPop Sat 06-Sep-08 21:25:59

Just cut back on your birthday/Christmas spending.

Christmas is not about unadulterated spending.

filthymindedvixen Sat 06-Sep-08 21:26:40

I have 2 children and one of them has a birthday right before xmas. I don't spend £200 on birthday and xmas present combined.!

AvenaLife Sat 06-Sep-08 21:27:44

shock So techically it's a term, even so, the head should know that the christmas term is a bad time to be asking parents to fund trips like this. It's common sense. I really do think you should talk to her, there are going to be singl mums, parents on benefits etc who will have a choice between buying christmas presents for their children and sending one on a school trip. Am I right in thinking that those who seriously can't afford it can get the trip paid for by the school? You need to make the silly bint aware of how much it's going to cost the school if no one can afford it. This can't be a good idea!

filthymindedvixen Sat 06-Sep-08 21:28:23

oh squeaky pig ''just cut back on xmas spending.'' If I pare any closer, we'll be on cabbage soup for xmas dinner.

This is my point, it is just bloody unfair of the school to expect us to be able to do this!

SqueakyPop Sat 06-Sep-08 21:31:59

It doesn't sound complusory and they are giving you notice.

AvenaLife Sat 06-Sep-08 21:34:39

I don't think 1 term is notice enough to those parents who have struggled to afford school uniforms, will now have to pay for this and christmas.

Have you ever tried living on income support SqueakyPop? There's a bigger picture here, not everyone has £200 at their disposal.

SqueakyPop Sat 06-Sep-08 21:35:23

We work, Avena.

filthymindedvixen Sat 06-Sep-08 21:36:36

squeaky, have you ever had your child be the only one not to go on a school trip??? No? Well, it may not be compulsory but to a child who is utterly miserable at school due to learning difficulties, it is a beacon of light in an otherwise grim world of school.

Notice? Many of us have just bankrupted ourseleves to buy new school shoes etc for our children while all the time fretting about forthcoming birthdays and christmas, let alone paying the mortgage/fuel bills and putting decent food on the table.....

SqueakyPop Sat 06-Sep-08 21:37:27

ah, learning difficulties.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now