Talk

Advanced search

to want to get rid of my mobile phone even though dh thinks I should keep it?

(18 Posts)
RebelMum72 Sat 06-Sep-08 11:20:23

We've just had another rather heated "discussion" about this - him complaining that whenever he tries to reach me, my phone is off (either not charged or just not switched on). I said that I actually don't think I need to be "available" wherever I go, and I think it's perfectly acceptable to ring home and, if I'm not there, leave a message. I always call back when I get in.

He didn't agree with this at all. He says I'm not considering anyone else - if he needs to get in touch with me, he can't. I asked what it is that he so desperately needs to talk to me about, but he said that was a stupid question and refused to give me any examples.

As far as I can see, the fact that I've had a mobile for years and it has always been pretty much impossible to reach me on it means that I don't actually want or need one. To actually get me on it while I'm out would mean:

1. I have it with me (do usually, as it just sits in my handbag, but don't ever have it when I'm out with the dog as do not have said handbag with me)
2. It is charged (rare occurance)
3. It is switched on (unlikely)
4. I hear it ringing (depends on what I'm doing, but even on loudest setting, I usually miss it)
5. I can acually answer it (ie not when driving or doing something with ds)

All of that happens about, oooh, let me think - once in a blue moon, maybe?

And as this has been the case for years, I think I really should just get rid of the bloody thing and then dh wouldn't get annoyed with me for not being able to reach me on it!

So, AIBU?

SecetMnetter Sat 06-Sep-08 11:22:31

YANBU, I am the same, DD has been playing with my mobile and she has put it somewhere, where I have no idea but that was over a week ago and I don't miss it at all.

Perfectly reasonable not be be contactable all of the time.

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Sat 06-Sep-08 11:27:38

oh god i couldnt live without my phone.

not sure why though as i never answer it according to dh. <no hunny actually i do answer it just not to you as its not necessary to phone me every hour after you leave the house>

who pays for the phone? if you dont use it much just get a payg one and then no one is losing out.

MadameOvary Sat 06-Sep-08 11:30:32

It was less than ten years ago that mobiles became wildly popular/available. What did people do before then? We managed.
YANBU.

RebelMum72 Sat 06-Sep-08 11:37:10

We had a payg and then changed to a contract as dh wanted a fancy-schmancy new phone that does everything except cook dinner, clean the flat, do the washing, take the dog out etc.... hmm
I then gave up my v. old phone which did bugger all but was quite useful for making the occasional call on wink.
But still, even with the payg, I hardly ever bothered charging it - it was usually just a dead weight in my handbag :O
And I agree MadameOvary - we certainly did manage before mobile phones, we managed ^just fine^!

FAQ Sat 06-Sep-08 11:43:32

YANBU at all

However I'd be totally lost without my phone - can't remember the last time I spoke to someone on my landline!!

bloomingfedup Sat 06-Sep-08 12:15:49

YANBU.I could'nt live without mine. I hate to talk on the phone so text all the time. Plus when DC are at school/pre-school - I need it with me if I'm out. smile

Anna8888 Sat 06-Sep-08 12:18:27

YANBU. I got rid of my mobile around the time my DD was born - it was driving me insane.

electra Sat 06-Sep-08 12:21:18

YANBU - mobile phones are a pain!

Niecie Sat 06-Sep-08 12:37:29

YANBU - since when did we all need to be constantly available?

I have mine for emergencies - my emergencies, not anybody else's so I can call somebody if the car breaks down or I have held up and late for picking the children up from school.

It really bugs me seeing people wandering down the street discussing what they are going to have for dinner or worse, groups of teenagers, madly texting and completely ignoring the people they are with - whatever happened to social interaction?

Mind you my opinion could be slightly coloured by DH who is chained to his Blackberry and annoys the hell out of me by checking it when we are out, every second my back is turned. I know he has a business to run but does it have to come everywhere, all the time?hmm

So no, get rid of it if you want to or just keep it to take with you on journeys or outings but not for your DH's whims.

ethanchristopher Sat 06-Sep-08 13:18:42

YABU

what if he needed to contact you cause he or your ds or someone or something was in trouble

or to tell you something urgent that would affect you if you didnt get the message then

all you need to do is have it switched on and charged when you go out

its not THAT difficult...

although if your not used to it i guess it is hard to get into the habit

fizzbuzz Sat 06-Sep-08 13:39:50

I haven't got one, and don't want one.

I do not want to be permanently available all the time. The brief time I did have one, I really could not be bothered with faffing with top ups and recahrges.

In fact I love being unavailable, it is very peaceful

TheCrackFox Sat 06-Sep-08 13:39:59

YANBU - you have exactly the same attitude to your mobile as I do.

I only really use it if I am going out for the day. I just don't get this need to be in constant contact with everyone.

FAQ Sat 06-Sep-08 13:51:13

if you don't want to be contactable - just put the phone on silent. smile

RebelMum72 Sat 06-Sep-08 20:27:19

The thing is - and I do see the point - that if I have a mobile, then it's fair enough to expect it to be charged and on - otherwise, why bother having it? - and as I just cannot be bothered with that (to be honest, it never crosses my mind to check whether it needs charging or not, and when I do eventually put it to charge, I usually leave it plugged in there for days ), I think I'm just going to get rid of it.

I appreciate the what-if-there's-an-emergency arguement, but it sort of doesn't really count as to all purposes I haven't really had a mobile phone for the last few years anyway, either to receive incoming-emergency calls or to make them myself.

I do agree, ethanchristopher, it's not difficult, but I guess I just don't really see it as necessary.

And there's a little part of me that wants to rebel against the whole I-couldn't-live-without-my-mobile-phone thing too wink (have to live up to my name!).

MrsMattie Sat 06-Sep-08 20:28:57

YANBU. I bloody hate my mobile and can't stand people being able to get hold of me whenever they want...or getting arsy when they can't. I am seriously thinking of getting rid of it.

coppertop Sat 06-Sep-08 20:32:40

YANBU

I have a PAYG phone that I only ever switch on if I'm out of the house during school time. IMO a mobile phone should be for the convenience of the person who owns it, not for the convenience of everyone else.

findtheriver Sat 06-Sep-08 20:37:36

Get rid of it. If you rarely have it with you, charged up etc then what's the point?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now