Talk

Advanced search

To be completely unable to find a decent winter coat for DD

(35 Posts)
Takver Fri 05-Sep-08 19:43:14

Clearly I am, as all the other girls in her class have nice new winter coats every year. But every year we go to the shops at the end of the school holidays, and they are not in yet. Then we go back at half term, and they have all sold out. Grrrrrr. And I have been looking on line and I can't find anything that looks half decent and doesn't cost an arm & a leg, not even on ebay And even b*** tescos doesn't sell their clothes on line

Slubberdegullion Fri 05-Sep-08 19:48:19

I got dd1 a coat today from mothercare for £16 today. Navy blue, with a hood and pale pink (of course) fleece lining. It's showerproof but I'm going to spray it with scotch guard to make it a bit more resiliant to the rain.

It looks really nice on her and will do I think for all weathers unless it gets bitterly cold, not that that happened last year.

Have checked on line but no photos of it.

compo Fri 05-Sep-08 19:48:55

M&S and Next have coats in now

dizzydixies Fri 05-Sep-08 19:49:49

got a nice one from markies last week

compo Fri 05-Sep-08 19:50:14

next

nametaken Fri 05-Sep-08 19:55:14

YABU and you are not looking hard enough. Plenty of coats available.

donnie Fri 05-Sep-08 19:57:52

I saw some good ones in sainsbury't the other day, waterproof, fleece lined, hood and a good long lentgh, not too pricey.

tortoiseshell Fri 05-Sep-08 19:59:26

I got dd a gorgeous winter coat from adams

OrmIrian Fri 05-Sep-08 20:01:24

DD hates girly. Had real trouble finding her a good quality non pink or pretty pretty coat last year. In the end I got her a boys parka type thing and we bought some sew on patches to personalise it.

Girls clothes seem to be so narrow in style/colour.

tortoiseshell Fri 05-Sep-08 20:02:44

OrmIrian - have you looked at my link! Is a khaki green parka, with grey hood, pink lining (but not visible) and embroidered flowers.

dizzydixies Fri 05-Sep-08 20:03:44

m&s

dizzydixies Fri 05-Sep-08 20:07:00

ormirian - markies have loads non girly

and no. I don't work for them lol

EustaciaVye Fri 05-Sep-08 20:10:03

This time last year I had the same problem. Got one from Debenhams in the end.

Takver Fri 05-Sep-08 20:13:13

I have tried M&S online (nearest shop is 50 miles away) and am really unimpressed with the selection.
I did quite like the khaki green one from Adams but dd was not keen. I like the idea of patches - maybe that would help. The real problem I think is that the coats are either grey/black which dd doesn't like, or pale pink which I don't like because it is always filthy.
There aren't any sainsburys near here, sadly no tescos with clothes either (nearest is an hour by bus and they only have a tiny selection). Have wondered about setting DD's grandmas on the case . . .
I did find a dark-ish pink one from John Lewis, maybe we will go for that.
I do know that IABU. Usually I get everything online no probs cos our only real clothes shop nearby is Peacocks and as described I always miss the coats, plus their stuff is a bit crap, but I'm just not inspired this year!

dizzydixies Fri 05-Sep-08 20:14:42

what age is your dd?

EachPeachPearMum Fri 05-Sep-08 20:15:16

Gap Warmest Coat- filled with down, and v v toasty. They're my favourite ones for DD, and they come in other colours than pink too.

Takver Fri 05-Sep-08 21:03:24

She's 6 nearly 7. I had thought of Gap, but unless I'm being really dense they don't seem to sell online. Maybe I should give it another 3 or 4 weeks for everyone to realise that their dd's coats don't fit then try ebay again!

dizzydixies Fri 05-Sep-08 21:07:51

sorry, the two lovely ones from M&S are in the younger girls section which only goes up to aged 5

Takver Fri 05-Sep-08 21:28:39

Damn, just found two nice ones from Debenhams but they are both out of stock for DD's size!
I think I will either get her the dark pink & hope it stays vaguely clean, or otherwise she will just have to have the adams one that she doesn't like & lump it, I shall see how soft hearted I feel tomorrow wink

EachPeachPearMum Fri 05-Sep-08 21:42:34

Umm- this one maybe?

Don't think GAP sell online in UK at all

janeite Fri 05-Sep-08 21:47:31

Have you tried Zara? They often do quite nice ones. Gap have a lovely one in at the moment, which is a sort of slightly padded shower proof outside, with a brightly coloured gorgeous soft fleecy lining. But no, they don't do online sales in the UK.

This one looks nice but no hood I like it in cranberry

outofmydepth12 Fri 05-Sep-08 22:56:55

Saw one in the windows of woolworths earlier. Think it was brown with pink bits on it. Half price as well IIRC

Takver Sat 06-Sep-08 10:26:37

Zara also not online in the UK sadly - why do all these companies sell online elsewhere but not here???
The cranberry coat is nice janeite - they look like they have a good selection of other things as well.

MaloryDontDiveItsShallow Sat 06-Sep-08 10:28:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

undercovercat Sat 06-Sep-08 10:29:54

I got a lovely coat for dd1 in milletts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now