Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

... in thinking that in a news story about the lack of midwives the TV com panies need to be interviewing someone from the Royal College of Midwives and NOT the Chief Nursing Officer

(6 Posts)
fedupandisolated Fri 05-Sep-08 07:47:04

It's just crazy - she has nothing to do with midwives. The need someone from the RCM instead. The lack of midwives in this country is an utter disgrace and needs urgent investment but talking to the Chief Nursing Officer and asking her opinion will achieve nothing. She's not a midwife - she's a nurse - completely different profession (even though related).

Am an ex-midwife myself - I could tell them a few stories about why I left the profession. Poor pay and poor staffing in an increasingly stressful environment. Crap care being given as a result = low morale and burnout.

I get paid more as a HV and have far less stress. I have time to spend with people now - and am hearing far too many horror stories about the care some women have received during labour and delivery of their babies.

Tittybangbang Fri 05-Sep-08 08:23:27

Agree with you fedup - the situation in midwifery is a scandal.

I was offered a place to train 4 years ago but had to turn it down when I realised I was pregnant a week after getting my acceptance letter. sad

Now I'm ready to apply again, but can't because they've got rid of non-means tested burseries for student midwives and I can't afford to pay for three years of after school childcare for 3 children out of my husband's wages while I train. I know three other mature women who want to train who now won't be able to do it. They are going to lose many prospective midwives with passion and useful experience by refusing to help people like me. It's all just so damn stupid. angry

cheshirekitty Fri 05-Sep-08 08:47:16

Agree totally fedup. I no longer work as a midwife, now work in a 9-5 clinic environment. Not much stress, no nights work followed by a full days work as you have been called out at night to do a home delivery, then been expected to do your normal days work. How safe is that then? I think the NMC should start a campaign to ensure safe staffing levels, but they are too much cowards to do that.

Milkysallgone Fri 05-Sep-08 08:48:56

They keep reporting it but nothing ever gets done about the situation angry.

Snaf Fri 05-Sep-08 09:29:42

Completely agree.

Midwifery - far from being one of the most respected and well-supported services in the NHS, as it should be - is being left to flounder and die. The RCM and the NMC are both complete jokes, imo - they do nothing of practical use and just issue the same old press statements over and over again.

I start as an NQM in a few weeks. I will be under paid (after 3 years of supporting myself and ds on a pitiful bursary) and over worked. I know this before even starting, because I've watched so many brilliant, motivated, caring midwives get ground down by a system that prioritises saving money over providing decent care.

I want to be a midwife, I've poured blood, sweat and tears into my training. And I'm bloody good - or have the potential to be, at least. My tutor told me the other day that she saw me as a future Head of Midwifery! blush

But I don't know how long I will last in this system. Something has to change - and fast.

One Mother One Midwife appears to have run out of steam somewhat. What else can we do?

blossomsmine Sat 06-Sep-08 00:01:10

My dd is supposed to start her midwifery degree next week, we thought she would be getting a grant, it looks like she won't be now. She has always wanted to be a midwife and would make a wonderful one..........doesn't look like she will be starting the course now because of moneysad Why can't the government see what they are doing here???

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now