Talk

Advanced search

to expect everyone to boycott the Metro hotel Woking

(79 Posts)
cheshirekitty Thu 04-Sep-08 21:29:03

because it is their management policy not to give rooms to military personnel.

Story is injured soldier from Afghanistan was in UK on sick leave and was visiting another injured soldier. Tried to book a room in this hotel and was turned away because he is in the military.

The ******. Please do not book at this hotel and tell your relatives and friends.

morningpaper Thu 04-Sep-08 21:30:12

I promise I will definitely boycott the Metro Hotel in Woking

TheHedgeWitch Thu 04-Sep-08 21:49:31

Message withdrawn

cheshirekitty Thu 04-Sep-08 21:50:30

Yeah, too late. Why did he have to spend the night in his car when they had available rooms.

saltire Thu 04-Sep-08 21:54:56

They only apologised because they were in teh news and realised it wasn't good for business, and because the tosser Armed Forces minister had written to them

TheHedgeWitch Thu 04-Sep-08 21:57:33

Message withdrawn

saltire Thu 04-Sep-08 22:02:16

I have just been readin some of the comments on teh Have Your Say board on the BBC website. Shocking.

DanJARMouse Thu 04-Sep-08 22:06:19

I wouldnt stay there even if it meant a night in the car. Ok, they have appologised, but only because they have made the news. And even then, the manager refused to be filmed.... not exactly the actions of a company who want to hold their hands up and admit they are WRONG.

Ronaldinhio Thu 04-Sep-08 22:11:54

Army prescence in Pirbright and Woking can be a bit rough so maybe they decided their policy for that reason.
Surely they can decide who they sell their rooms to as it's their business?
YABU

TheHedgeWitch Thu 04-Sep-08 22:24:28

Message withdrawn

2shoes Thu 04-Sep-08 22:24:52

yanbu
but can you do the same with the leatherhead leaisure centre. they chucked out disabled war veterns as some dozy woman complained.

hf128219 Thu 04-Sep-08 22:26:30

Well who really knows the true story?

poppy34 Thu 04-Sep-08 22:26:38

apparently been threatening phone calls to the hotel today...

hf128219 Thu 04-Sep-08 22:29:28

This is the thing about stories like this - I wasn't there so it is difficult to comment (with any real accuracy).

All I know is that a British soldier was not permitted to stay at that hotel. Whether the hotel - or the soldier - was in the wrong is another matter.

TheSmallClanger Thu 04-Sep-08 22:29:30

I agree with TheHedgeWitch. I used to go out in Colchester with my cousins a lot and squaddies aren't known for their good behaviour, whether singly or in groups. I don't get this tabloid mentality that Forces people are all honest, upright heroes.

DanJARMouse Thu 04-Sep-08 22:36:34

ok, so there are some that act like twats, just like there are a hell of a lot of civvy guys doing the same.

If it was a case of being "not allowed due to company policy" they are wankers.

A lot of our service personell are good people, with partners and children.

I would be heartbroken if I thought my DH was labelled as a "paid thug" (BBC HYS) as he so isnt.

Ok so DH isnt in the forces anymore (medical discharge) but he is still proud of what he did and the tours in Kosovo, Afghanistan and Iraq.

cheshirekitty Fri 05-Sep-08 08:36:33

My dh did tours in Kosovo, Afghanistan and Iraq. Now retired. Was invited to Buckingham Palace to receive his medal (the Queen obviously does not think he will vandalise her house).

What if the hotel policy was no sahm's, no NHS, no Welsh, no Irish etc. It is discrimination and they should be held to account.

Ronaldinhio Fri 05-Sep-08 08:43:56

Did he ask the Queen for B&B after a potential night out in Woking?
Perhaps a different answer me thinks...

They put these rules in place for a reason!! No-one turns away trade in this market without very good cause

cheshirekitty Fri 05-Sep-08 08:52:38

Ronaldinhio, no he did not ask for B&B, but I am quite sure he would have got it if he had asked!!!

My dh was in the RAF for 25 years, and I travelled around the world with him. We obviously had plenty of time to see how service personnel acted out of work time.

Now he is in civilian street, we have been to a few 'do's at the company he now works for. I cannot believe the bad behaviour of some of the people in civvie street, compared to the behaviour of service people.

You have obviously had a bad time with service personnel. But it could have easily been a bad time with civvies. So what are you going to do, ban everyone?

littlelapin Fri 05-Sep-08 08:59:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FlightAttendent Fri 05-Sep-08 09:04:00

I can understand them banning groups of blokes from whatever profession, especially if badly behaved but just a single man on his own, acting respectably, well it sucks.

wannaBe Fri 05-Sep-08 09:07:48

you know what I think this "we don't know the whole story" response is a cop out for people who don't want to admit they don't have an opinion.

I think it's disgusting. If black people regularly caused trouble in woking city centre would it be ok to say no blacks? I think not. Or perhaps no breastfeeding mothers as some people find breastfeeding offensive? or maybe no children as they are disruptive? Being able to refuse to serve a particular person because of their behavior is of course any business's perogative, however being able to refuse to serve someone because of their profession is not on IMO.

So some militry personnel cause trouble in large groups. Well go down to your local city centre on a Friday and Saturday night and watch the fights, the drinking, the generally antisocial behavior that goes on and I bet that most of them are not in the forces. Most of them are doing jobs like any of us. There's a massive culture in the city of traders with too much money going out and drinking heavily and snorting vast quantities of coke, but would we have all traders banned from a hotel? mm I think not.

As an aside, I really don't get this opposition to the military in this country. Where do people think we would be without a military? seriously.

wannaBe Fri 05-Sep-08 09:11:02

lol ll great minds...

<<<as aside>>> have you moved yet?

I can understand the policy of banning large groups of lads, or women even (hen parties no less disruptive than stag parties) but whole professions not on.

Ronaldinhio Fri 05-Sep-08 09:13:20

Fact are they have had bad experiences of military personnel recently and decided not to rent a room to him. The mistake they made was telling him why rather than saying they were full.
They'll know what to do in future as will any other hotels with the same policy in the area.

hf128219 Fri 05-Sep-08 09:13:48

A cop out wannaBe? No, it's not. I can't give an informed judgement as I was not there.

I, however, believe there is no smoke without fire.

Soldier or not a soldier, that is not the issue.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now