Talk

Advanced search

Actually - am I being super-thick or what?

(5 Posts)
BalloonSlayer Thu 04-Sep-08 14:52:39

Some time ago my Tesco credit card asked me to set up a security thing, where I had to put in a password to use it online.

I set it up and promptly forgot what it was, so I have never used the card since, I've used my debit card instead.

A new card arrived, I thought phew, I can use this one. But behold ! It took me straight into the screen where I had to enter parts of my password.

To cut a long story short I buggered it up and it said that as I had put in the wrong password too many times, I had to re-set it.

So it presented me with a new screen, and I typed in a new password. And it took my money.

So am I being thick, or does this mean that if someone had stolen my card today they would have been able to use my details on t'internet and run up any bill just by re-setting my password?

What are these password protected things supposed to protect you from? Just online hacking? Am genuinely puzzled.

Any ideas?

cornsilk Thu 04-Sep-08 14:54:42

Yeah mine did that to. Bit daft really.

2shoes Thu 04-Sep-08 15:23:05

sorry, I cannot work it out for the life of me. so have never used the thing on line.

BouncingTurtle Thu 04-Sep-08 15:28:10

Did it not email you a new password?
That's what should have happened - the email would go automatically to the email address you supplied when you initially registered your card.

BalloonSlayer Thu 04-Sep-08 17:18:12

No it didn't email me a password, it just let me buy what I wanted (mobile phone credit, as it happens).

I did get an email saying my password has been changed, helpfully adding "if you did NOT change your password, please contact us on this number" hmm super secure then.

At least now I know it doesn't matter one teeny bit if I forget my password. . .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now