Talk

Advanced search

To think the words 'daylight' and 'robbery' sum this up?

(10 Posts)
mamhaf Wed 03-Sep-08 20:46:34

Called into get some petrol and a few groceries at the Somerfield convenience store on my way home.

We needed rice - brown is healthier - I picked up a 500g bag of Tilda brown basmati rice, without checking the price on the shelf.

When I got the checkout, I thought they'd made a mistake £3.58.

No mistake, that was right.

I swapped it for the Somerfield own brand white basmati - 94p..to hell with the healthy option this time.

The same brown one is £2.17 from Ocado.

WTF? Is Somerfield trying to take advantage of people who are might buy the healthier option no matter what the price?

PeaMcLean Wed 03-Sep-08 20:56:47

You know, I'm so boring I've checked Tesco for you grin

£2.16

I find the prices do go up though in "convenience stores"

TheArmadillo Wed 03-Sep-08 21:03:21

wow that is unbelievable.

asda easy cook brown rice (1kg) = 89p

However they charge £2.19 for the Tilda stuff (500g).

Surely brown rice is cheaper as needs less processing.

Shop elsewhere next time.

mamhaf Wed 03-Sep-08 21:12:59

At least they had other options, even if they were all white rice.

Our local Tesco Express now only sells top-of-the-range everything although it started off selling value stuff.

So the cheapest toothpaste is almost £4; they only sell "finest" pizzas; no own-brand painkillers, only the more expensive and branded ones.

It's taking advantage of the time-poor and disorganised shoppers like me!

TheArmadillo Wed 03-Sep-08 21:17:35

our tesco express is the same.

Every time a cheaper item starts selling really well they replace it with the more expensive branded version. And it's more expensive than a standard tescos.

It's always out of stock of stuff.

Queues stretch out the door - and they'll have half the tills closed with the staff wandering round the store instead.

I try to avoid it - but it's the only one to get to in a rush.

I fucking hate tesco.

mamhaf Wed 03-Sep-08 21:21:55

I'm trying a Tesco diet - hence calling into Somerfield instead.

We get our meat and veg from the local farm shop and as much basic stuff as possible from Aldi or Lidl - but they don't sell brown rice for instance, so we still need to pick up stuff at one of the bigger supermarkets. I hate Tesco too - and their petrol makes my car judder. But it seems Somerfield isn't any better.

TheArmadillo Wed 03-Sep-08 21:26:00

somerfield ime is comparitively more expensive than other supermarkets and not any better quality for it. I think some of their products are actually quite poor in quality compared to other supermarkets. Range of products tends to be really poor as well.

I think they're crap personally.

Could you get online shop if only going for a few things?

mamhaf Wed 03-Sep-08 22:21:17

Online shop doesn't help if dh has just phoned to say we're out of rice and need some for evening meal, could I pick some up on way home.

The real answer is to forward plan better..it's not the end of the world to forget a few things I then need to pick up, but it did make me cross at the rip-off.

TheSmallClanger Wed 03-Sep-08 22:23:22

It is a rip-off. Somerfield are rubbish - I thought they'd all disappeared now?

If you've got an international food store near you, they often have very good value rice you can buy in big bags.

Washersaurus Wed 03-Sep-08 22:29:56

I hate somerfield too - they are vastly overpriced and the staff and customers (in our local store anyway) are pig thick and rude.

I only pop in there when desperate for an item not available in Lidl.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now