Talk

Advanced search

to think this is stupid and dangerous?

(17 Posts)
thelittlestbadger Wed 03-Sep-08 16:35:48

Dh and I went to a beer festival with some friends last weekend at a local pub. In the garden, there was a bouncy castle and a trampoline (both unsupervised). There were a lot of children using the trampoline without nets - sometimes 6 or 7 of different sizes at a time.

DH and I ended up leaving quickly as I was getting more and more worried that I would be watching a small child give themselves a horrible injury. Dh thought I was being a bit precious given that it wasn't our DC leaping around.

So over to you Mumsnet jury - which of us is right!

compo Wed 03-Sep-08 16:36:35

it's up to the parents to supervise though

Macdog Wed 03-Sep-08 16:37:01

YANBU - I hate watching kids doing this too

MatNanPlus Wed 03-Sep-08 16:38:36

I am with you, i would be turning round and moving to where i couldn't see (& hopefully not hear) them as my <herding nanny instinct> would kick in and they would be lining up for 2 minute timed bouncing

I hate to see it and DH knows so would turn round and walk away had he seen it first.

3littlefrogs Wed 03-Sep-08 16:38:53

I totally agree with you. A 10 yearold boy near us had his neck broken when too many children were allowed on a trampoline at a birthday party. Trampolines are no different from anything else - use them correctly and sensibly and they are fun, use them stupidly and they are dangerous.

Unfortunately, common sense is anything but common.

Ashantai Wed 03-Sep-08 16:42:15

First thing we bought when we got our trampoline was a net, and we've still had accidents! My sil twisted her ankle on ours!

We had to limit it to 3 kids at a time, and even then i was watching them from behind the sofa!grin

VersdeSociete Wed 03-Sep-08 16:43:11

YANBU. There has recently been a case about a bouncy castle in which a child sustained horrific head injuries. The person who is providing the castle and trampoline for use by the children (presumably someone from the festival in thsi case) is supposed to ensure a reasonable level of supervision, including making sure that children of very different sizes are nto using the castle / trampoline at the same time.

Lizzylou Wed 03-Sep-08 16:43:54

A girl I was at school with broke her back on a trampoline.
We won't be getting one

Kewcumber Wed 03-Sep-08 16:44:00

pub is being very foolish. Have been a few serious injuries and IIRC the people in charge of the bouncy castle (in this I think another parent) were held liable in court.

Kewcumber Wed 03-Sep-08 16:44:23

cross posted with versde there...

VersdeSociete Wed 03-Sep-08 16:48:08

I think it was overturned on appeal, kewc, because the parent had been exercising a reasonable level of supervision and it was a freak accident but they did make the point that supervision of quite a high standard is necessary although that does not involve never looking away from the castle!

Ronaldinhio Wed 03-Sep-08 17:23:25

VersdeSociete is right about the bouncy castle thing and YANBU

almostblue Wed 03-Sep-08 17:29:02

YANBU. Am [shocked]at the licensee...

almostblue Wed 03-Sep-08 17:29:30

blush

I do hate it when I type them emotithingies wrong...

Whizzz Wed 03-Sep-08 17:35:16

I would be very suprised if there wasn't a notice somewhere saying that it was the parents responsibility for supervising their iown children. A similar thing to when you have soft play places attached to pubs etc

thelittlestbadger Wed 03-Sep-08 17:48:17

I was just shocked really at the complete lack of concern shown both by the pub and by the adults around - perhaps to have someone standing nearby trying to limit numbers or make an attempt at supervising.

I think DH was disappointed because he missed out on cheap beer grin

noonki Wed 03-Sep-08 17:49:52

depends how pissed the kids were grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now