Talk

Advanced search

To be shocked and dismayed that DS has been invited to a joint party.

(422 Posts)
SparklyDiscoGirl Wed 03-Sep-08 13:23:16

This party is going to be in a soft-play centre and it is a joint party between 4 of the boys in his class.

AIBU to think that this is a total cop-out on behalf of the parents involved?

DS is friends with all 4 of the boys and so it will be impossible to do anything excpet buy a present each for all 4 boys.

The parents who are planning this party clearly realise that this will be the predicament for all of the parents of invited children and yet are going ahead with this ludicrous plan regardless.

AIBU to think this is just taking the whole joint party thing waaay too far?

angry

RubyRioja Wed 03-Sep-08 13:24:25

How about buying a joint gift to suit four players - badminton rackets or similar?

Four inexpensive books?

lulumama Wed 03-Sep-08 13:24:42

if he would have been invited to all four parties seperately you would have had to buy 4 gifts anyway

not a cop out, a way of sharing the costs

if you are so very angry about it, then don't let DS go

or just buy a gift for the child he is most friendly with

SugaryBits Wed 03-Sep-08 13:25:07

Maybe I'm missing the point but if they had a party each and your DS was invited to all of them surely you would be buying 4 presents anyway?

geekgirl Wed 03-Sep-08 13:25:07

what's the problem? Would you rather spend four separate weekend afternoons in a soft play centre <shudder>? I think it sounds like a very sensible thing to do.
If they had their parties separately you'd still have to buy 4 presents.

YABU.

sagacious Wed 03-Sep-08 13:25:13

Shocked and dismayed?
Erm
Its a party
If your ds is friends with all 4 of them he probably would have had 4 party invites
ergo you would have been buying 4 presents anyway.

Think of it as a time saving exercise...

lulumama Wed 03-Sep-08 13:25:28

YABVVVVVU to be 'shocked; and 'dismayed' about a party invite

BroccoliSpears Wed 03-Sep-08 13:26:12

Are you cross because you feel you have to spend money on four presents but the parents of the boys haven't had to spend as much money as they would have done because they're sharing the party?

laundrylover Wed 03-Sep-08 13:26:17

Can you not just get them a small gift each? I often pick up bits and have a hoard to go at. 30p cards from Tesco and you're away!!

Fimbo Wed 03-Sep-08 13:26:27

If there would have been 4 separate parties anyway it is a good idea.

Don't you hate weekends when they are all taken up by parties? I do

FluffyMummy123 Wed 03-Sep-08 13:26:58

Message withdrawn

nailpolish Wed 03-Sep-08 13:27:01

dont be so mean

would you be so bothered if they had individual parties? youd still have to buy 4 presents

i htink joint parties are a great idea - parties can be expensive so it means parents can share the cost

maybe you should try it sometime.

morningpaper Wed 03-Sep-08 13:27:02

lol

Agree, I'd much rather go to ONE soft-play party than FOUR - I never appreciate the architectural surroundings ....

Uranus Wed 03-Sep-08 13:27:03

I thought you meant a party where they were going to be smoking joints grin

AvenaLife Wed 03-Sep-08 13:27:10

A party for 2 siblings isn't too bad but 4 children! shock

I don't think you are being unreasonable. They shouldn't expect parents to shell out for 4 presents. I'd go to a discout store and get them something cheap. Poor children though, are they expected to share a cake? How are they going to blow that out? Take turns?

Or you could all put the money together and get them a joint present each. grin

sagacious Wed 03-Sep-08 13:27:42

If it were a joint doobie party I would have been shocked

SparklyDiscoGirl Wed 03-Sep-08 13:28:34

I don't get it.

If they had 4 separate parties, I would have bought 4 separate gifts.

And I would have been more than happy with that as DS would have been going to 4 parties for that. DS enjoys parties. It is not a problem for me to take him to parties.

morningpaper Wed 03-Sep-08 13:28:39

> hey shouldn't expect parents to shell out for 4 presents

Is that how you feel when you host parties? You EXPECT attendees to bring a carefully thought-out present?!

I really don't give a toss who brings presents and who doesn't

Don't you lot have Poundland?

nailpolish Wed 03-Sep-08 13:28:42

avenalife some of us cannot afford massive parties

sharing the cost is a good idea

FluffyMummy123 Wed 03-Sep-08 13:28:46

Message withdrawn

Niecie Wed 03-Sep-08 13:28:50

Shocked and dismayed is a bit of an over reaction.

As lulu says if your DS went to 4 parties you would still have to buy 4 presents and would have to give up four different afternoons for the parties - I think you got off lightly really.

You don't have to spend a fortune and you could always look for a 'buy one, get one free' deal for the presents which would save some money.

mustrunmore Wed 03-Sep-08 13:28:50

I'm guessing she means she might not have been invited to all 4 if they were seperaate parties? But really, you need only spend a few pounds per pressie, so it wont cost too much more than if you were paying for soft play and lunch anyway. Asda and Tescos are selling all the outdoor toys off really cheap at the moment, or get books from Redhouse or Book People. Peole dont really mind what you buy, as there's so much plastic tat given on birthdays anyway.

morningpaper Wed 03-Sep-08 13:29:11

lol sagacious I must admit when I read the title I thought it was about a teenage drug party grin

geekgirl Wed 03-Sep-08 13:29:33

you really don't need to spend much on presents, no one actually gives a shit.
Get some books on special offer or a pack of pencils and a colouring pad or whatever.

nailpolish Wed 03-Sep-08 13:29:34

so you expect a party in return for each of your presents?

are you serious?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now