Talk

Advanced search

to not want to be a Mum sometimes and just stay in bed all day?

(35 Posts)
pgwithnumber3 Tue 02-Sep-08 21:23:29

feel really ill today, DD1 started new school so been stressed over that and DD2 not very well either so life has been that bit more eventful.

AIBU to want to feck off somewhere on my own?

shatteredmumsrus Tue 02-Sep-08 21:26:02

Not at all just human - i have often wanted to do that but we dont because we are amazing moms!

hester Tue 02-Sep-08 21:26:07

No, I want this very regularly. Sometimes my brain feels inflamed; I just want to go and wander round aimlessly - without ANYBODY to look after - while it cools down.

A night in a hotel on my own is my ultimate fantasy.

BloodySmartarse Tue 02-Sep-08 21:27:11

oh god, a holiday alone... its a mothers wet dream is it not?

[wistful grin]

cheeset Tue 02-Sep-08 21:27:54

Ditto allsmile

Sexonlegs Tue 02-Sep-08 21:29:02

Count me in. I just want a day of not being relied upon by anyone, be it my 2 dd's, dh or the flaming cats. GRrrrr

undercovercat Tue 02-Sep-08 21:29:13

I do this when the kids are at school/when they are with their dad/when they are engrossed in The Sims.
YANBU at all.

elmoandella Tue 02-Sep-08 21:29:48

feel orry for me.

going on holiday tomorrow. yeah, expect it's me and my friend and our 4 dc all under age of 3!! on a plane. for 4 hours. at bed time, when they will be cranky, but refuse to sleep.

pgwithnumber3 Tue 02-Sep-08 21:30:51

AM I going to have the first AIBU thread that everyone agrees on?! [shock}

pgwithnumber3 Tue 02-Sep-08 21:31:41

I thought I would get flamed for being an awful mummy who should never complain and get on with it!

nickytwotimes Tue 02-Sep-08 21:32:37

YANBU
Seems totally reasonable to me.

MrsMattie Tue 02-Sep-08 21:33:35

Is there anyone who doesn't feel like this sometimes? YANBU

psychomum5 Tue 02-Sep-08 21:34:44

oh god no.....not unreasonable at all.

we all want that at times I am sure. me lots!!!

mother2two Tue 02-Sep-08 21:39:25

You are being very reasonable.

I know what you mean. I asked dh if, as a Christmas present, I could just have a "day off". I haven't had a day off in the last 1098 days. What I mean by a day off, I mean no childcare responsibilities, no household responsibilites. I didn't get my wish.

I would dearly love to have 1 day, just 1 day (I'll settle for 12 hours) within the next year, alone and doing something for myself and be pampered. I would really like a make-over - a haircut (I haven't had my hair cut for 2 years), make up advice (I don't currently wear make up), style advice (I've spent the last 4 years in joggers), and get someone to look at my feet.

I would like to be able to read an interesting magazine from start to finish, with a HOT cup/mug of tea, WITHOUT any interuptions. I would like to be able to watch non-preschool TV or DVD without interuption.

You are being reasonable in wanting some time on your own. I think sometimes people take us for granted, and don't realise we too, need "time out" on our own.

pgwithnumber3 Tue 02-Sep-08 21:39:42

Just today though I have been panicking about how I will manage when DC3 comes along. I love my children with all my heart but sometimes I wish I had a few hours to just do nothing and not be disturbed.

pgwithnumber3 Tue 02-Sep-08 21:41:46

In 2010(!) I am going away with the girls, I decided this the other day. I have never had a girly holiday and DH can look after the children. He is going away for 5 days in October on a shooting break in Scotland. Didn't even ask, just said he was going. I need to give 2 years advance warning. envy

BloodySmartarse Tue 02-Sep-08 21:42:58

oh pg
i had 3 in 2.5 yrs.
its hell at times
but the youngest is now 2.8 and i tell ya, its great.
and i didnt get sectioned along the way or anything! wink
take ALL the support/help on offer...

hester Tue 02-Sep-08 21:43:51

I have a friend - mother of 3 smallies - who was given a weekend away in a posh hotel by her dh ( envy). She gave me a blow-by-blow description of the joys of waking up and going back to sleep, of room service, of reading the papers in the bath... then she said, "It would only have been better if dh could have been there".

And I said, "LIAR".

My mouth literally waters when I think about her weekend.

pgwithnumber3 Tue 02-Sep-08 21:45:47

Bloody hell BloodySmartarse! Are you totally grey and need botox just so you can open your eyes fully!? You must have been knackered! Any tips greatly appreciated. wink

glucose Tue 02-Sep-08 21:46:42

No you are not.

At 0515 this am when dd woke me up until 0815 when we got to nursery both of us soaking - I really wanted somebody else to be doing this and to be tucked up in bed myself. Was glad to get to work.

pgwithnumber3 Tue 02-Sep-08 21:48:05

envy at your friend's weekend hester.

peachygirl Tue 02-Sep-08 21:51:47

YANBU.

I am often feeling this way and DD is still quite small.

DH is also not well at the moment and I am stuggling with coping with that too.

mother2two Tue 02-Sep-08 21:55:43

Hester - I am so jealous of your friend. I wish my dh would take the hint, and give me a day at a spa as a Christmas or birthday gift.

Something tells me I'm going to get the usual kitchen utensils, pots and pans etc instead. And those damn oven gloves - I get a new pair every year. And every Christmas, I have to fake my delight and give a really heavy hint, like "Well, now I have yet another pair of oven gloves. I haven't got round using last years because the ones from the previous years are still usable."

This year, if I get another pair, I'm really tempted to say something along the lines of "great. This will make an excellent present for your mum dear." But that might sound ungrateful and I don't want a rift on Christmas day so I'll probably keep my mouth shut!

Milliways Tue 02-Sep-08 21:57:15

I wish I had the courage to book a week off work that is NOT in the school holidays! Just wave them off & please myself all day

Heated Tue 02-Sep-08 22:00:57

Nearly every Saturday I have a lie in to about 9o'clock & then dh takes the dcs swimming - bliss grin.

No PWN3, YANBU at all, 'tis horrible looking after children when you feel ill.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now