Talk

Advanced search

to think that delivering 40 quids' worth of shopping in ELEVEN carrier bags is just a tad excessive?

(7 Posts)
spicemonster Tue 02-Sep-08 18:37:27

One of them contained 1/2 a cucumber. One of them contained a bottle of wine. I don't think there was a single one that had more than three things in it.

What's the point in them awarding you green points for taking your own bags when you go to the shop and then drowning you in carrier bags when they deliver? And yes, I mean you, Sainsburys

mrsgboring Tue 02-Sep-08 18:39:02

Yes, this is the reason I ditched Ocado - couldn't stand the waste and plastic.

nooka Tue 02-Sep-08 18:43:18

Can't you give them back? I always give my bags back next time they come. In fact sometimes I give them the bags back as they are bringing things into the house. They always seem happy to accept them.

nbee84 Tue 02-Sep-08 18:46:47

The reason your shopping comes in multiple carrier bags from Ocado is that it is a warehouse and not set out like any supermarket that you or I would go into. Your shopping could come from over 16 different areas of the warehouse and will have been picked by more than 16 people. All Ocado carrier bags are manufactured in this country and are 100% recyclable. You just hand back your bags to the delivery driver and they come back to the warehouse where they are sorted into their colours and sent off to be recycled. Most supermarkets in this country have their bags made abroad, so the shipping to get them here makes them even less green.

I don't know what Sainsbury's excuse for multiple carriers is!

nbee-i take it you work for ocado?grin

spicemonster Tue 02-Sep-08 18:49:07

Well I could give them back but the driver always seems in a complete hurry to leave and I have a baby who is about to disappear out the door so it's easier if I recycle them myself tbh.

And call me cynical but I would not be surprised if the driver chucked them into the nearest bin.

nbee - do you work for ocado?

nbee84 Tue 02-Sep-08 19:01:25

Used to work for Ocado in the warehouse picking people's shopping - left about 4 months ago. And I would use them for my shopping if I could afford them. The conditions for the storage of food and the picking are very good. There is the odd problem with the picking - things like segregation of raw/cooked meats or someone putting a 4 pinter of milk on top of a punnet of raspberries, but Ocado are continuaaly looking for ways to stop these things happening. The wastage from a warehouse like Ocado is only about 4% which is masses lower than any supermarket.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now