Talk

Advanced search

to be seething over very rude man at Soft Play?

(39 Posts)
Lizzylou Tue 02-Sep-08 16:11:58

Yes, it was my fault for going to Soft Play.

OK, so all the schools have gone back in my town so I thought I would venture to soft play with the DS's and a friend and her DS as Ds1 starts reception next week (staggered start).
When I got there they charged me the full rate (£8.10 (no drinks) for DS's of 4.5/2.5yrs old, it's normally £5 for them in term time with free drinks for them, coffee for me.) I asked why as children had gone back to school, they said they hadn't in that area (not sure if that is true or not, it is only next town). So I said I didn't have that much on me and would leave it, thankyou.
Start putting on Ds1's shoes as swiftly as possible to avert inevitable tantrum and have to explain to him why we aren't staying.
I said we hadn't enough money on us, he kept on asking "But how much money do we need?" etc etc so I calmly said "DS1 I am not paying £8.10 for you to play here".
Man behind the counter comes said "Madam, can you lower your voice please, other customers can hear you and you are trying to ruin our business" in such a pompous tone. There were only people paying to get in (all with one child and obviouskly happy to pay the price, fair enough)
I got the DS's shoes on and asked my friend to watch them and went back and told him to please not speak to me like that, I was trying to explain to my son and there was no need to be so rude. It all descended into a big row, with me saying that their customer service didn't warrant a fee like that (it doesn't, there is always a queue, they always mix up shoes etc), basically very embarrassing and I am very upset.
I only went there because it was term time (I thought) and I never ever get into rows like this, it was all too much today and I hope that no-one I know was in there. Although we were in reception area so noone could haveheard me.
We then went to the park as it had stopped raining which was free, but I felt awful and so embarrassed.
I must add that the only reason I stuck up for myself was because I had had an awful morning with the DS's and am menstrual. I also didn't shout or swear at him, although he was shaking with anger and actually did that "sticking tongue into chin thing" at which point I said he was "a vile man" and stormed off.
Be gentle

catsmother Tue 02-Sep-08 16:18:05

You shouldn't "have" to be premenstrual to stick up for yourself !

I can imagine myself in the exact same scenario ...... a disappointed child, and not enough money to pay for a ticket I didn't expect to be so dear. I bet at least 50% of mums would have said the exact same thing to their child ...... which, by the way, ^wasn't slanderous as it was a statement of fact about their prices !

I expect I'd have then confronted him because I'd have objected to accusations about trying to ruin his business. I don't know what his problem was ..... the tickets ARE £8.10, as any customer would have found out as soon as they asked to buy one, so what difference would it make if they heard you say it ?

IMO, there was no need to make any sort of remark to you, and he WAS being rude.

QueenofAllWildThings Tue 02-Sep-08 16:18:21

He sounds like an utter twunt. Carry on badmouthing him and never go there again - he obviously has no idea how stressful it is to try to let children down gently without starting a paddy (from them). If he had any sense he'd have just kept schtum.
Please tell us where you live so we can avoid him too!!!

catsmother Tue 02-Sep-08 16:19:10

As for "ruining his business", he has done that himself, because you won't be going back will you ?

Lizzylou Tue 02-Sep-08 16:20:31

Phew, was worried I was overreacting!
£8.10 is very steep when DS1 was on "Last warning" and might only have been in there for 20 minutes wink

I believe I mentioned that he should try to be a tad more empathetic to Mothers when he mentioned I shouldn't try to tell him how to run his business.

Lizzylou Tue 02-Sep-08 16:21:28

No won't be going back.
It was in East Lancs, am going to check if the schools have gone back in the particular town and think I may write a letter of complaint (but prob won't round to it!)

TheCrackFox Tue 02-Sep-08 16:24:09

He sounds like an arse. After this summer he could well be a multi-millionaire. I work wouldn't pay £8.10 for a glorified play park either.

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Tue 02-Sep-08 16:26:22

£8.10?!!!! he wouldnt have a business around here if he chraged those prices!!! we have two soft play centers one is £2.00 but a bit rubbishy and the other is a mr twisters <dont know if there are any near you> and its about £3.60 no drinks are inc unless you go to mother and toddler morning which is only about £1.50 and you get a coffee.

is it privately run or is there some one you could complain to?

Lizzylou Tue 02-Sep-08 16:29:37

Privately run.
There are other, smaller ones nearby who don't charge as much. Looks like we will be frequenting those! We never go on weekends/school holidays as it is too busy for DS2 (only 2.5) so had no idea of prices. He couldn't believe I had never been there at that time.

mummyhill Tue 02-Sep-08 16:32:10

I wouldn't pay £8.10 regardless of time of year. The most we pay round here is a fiver and I still think that is a bit steep!

LouMacca Tue 02-Sep-08 16:47:24

The prices at these soft-play areas are an outrage!! I spent £20 at one in Altrincham last week. I took my 5 year old twins and I had already promised them dinner there.

It cost me £15 to get in (entrance and meal deal - some deal!) and then a further £5 for a coffee and biscuit for me and my friend.

You pay for 90 minutes play but we spent hours there to get our monies worth!!

Blimey, working in a place like that you would expect the staff to be more understanding if you have to deal with a disappointed child. What an idiot!

Lizzylou Tue 02-Sep-08 16:52:26

Thank you all, I agree that they charge too much. It was embarrassing enough not having enough money on me, to be treated like a naughty child when I was trying to deal with a 4 yr old with sudden beezelbub tendencies was just too much.

Now I calm down and wonder how many people saw me blush

nickytwotimes Tue 02-Sep-08 17:00:48

YANBU.
The guy was a twat.

Ronaldinhio Tue 02-Sep-08 17:10:03

YANBU
Park was probably nicer anyway (tries to look on the brightside)

misdee Tue 02-Sep-08 17:10:04

how much!!

i would refuse to pay that no matter what.

they can go jump for that amount IMO.

£5 max for big kids £3 for little uns.

TheHedgeWitch Tue 02-Sep-08 17:32:55

Message withdrawn

Lizzylou Tue 02-Sep-08 17:34:30

He is joint owner, it is a family run business. His BIL was also there but didn't say/do anything.

TheProvincialLady Tue 02-Sep-08 17:37:02

£8.10shock Whatever you do don't tell Gateau.

WendyWeber Tue 02-Sep-08 17:40:52

Oooh, lizzylou, which town? (I appreciate you won't want toname the centre grin) Grrr it does make me cross when people who behave like this run facilities like this angry)

Why don't you go onto netmums and post a comment? They have an East Lancs soft play section (link may not work though if you're not a registered user). You should post on MN local as well.

WendyWeber Tue 02-Sep-08 17:44:14

Lancs LEA term started today, so he was WRONG!!!!

(It wasn't Blackburn/Darwen though, was it? They go back on Thursday)

WendyWeber Tue 02-Sep-08 17:47:06

(Sorry, Blackburn went back yesterday so in fact he is wrong wherever he is)

Print those 2 pages off and go and wave them under his nose! If it happened to be an inset day for some schools it makes no odds, those are the official dates for the first day of term.

Ilovetoboogie Tue 02-Sep-08 18:34:04

You mean the one is Haslingden that is fairly new don't you?

WendyWeber Tue 02-Sep-08 18:35:44

Begins with R and ends with K?

Ilovetoboogie Tue 02-Sep-08 18:38:20

Yes

WendyWeber Tue 02-Sep-08 18:45:11

They've just put their prices up too, haven't they? "Due to rising costs" hmm

Lizzylou, do add a comment to their entry on netmums (which still shows the old prices incidentally) - if you stop going it's no skin off his nose, but if you can stop a few more people going he might take notice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now