Talk

Advanced search

to expect to be treated with respect at work by a doctor.

(10 Posts)
cheshirekitty Mon 01-Sep-08 19:07:04

I work in outpatients clinic. Per doctor, we should have 12 patients, so if we have 2 doctors for clinic we should have no more than 24 patients. Patient list has nothing to do with nurses, it is the secs and clerical officers who deal with patient lists.

Today, I arrive for work. Set up clinics, put up list - 26 patients, only 2 docs. Consultant surgeon goes ballistic at me(am a nurse), shouting and being verbally aggressive. He is 6ft 4ins, I am 4ft 10. He was towering over me and made me feel scared.

AIBU to expect to feel safe at work, and not have to put up with intellectual bullying?

(Still feel a bit shakey).

BroccoliSpears Mon 01-Sep-08 19:08:33

Yanbu. Take it up with hr or your line manager.

Slubberdegullion Mon 01-Sep-08 19:08:47

yanbu. Speak to line manager. Unacceptable behaviour.

JuneBugJen Mon 01-Sep-08 19:12:26

Sounds like a dick. Talk to manager.

DH had this today with own clinic, had far too many on (he's a doctor too) and no nurses would/were able help him, but dont think he would have taken it out on a nurse like that. Its rotten way to treat people. Don't know what my DH should do about being overbooked, but I know its not screaming at staff.

hotbot Mon 01-Sep-08 19:43:41

have to say i have been in this posion, and asked dr which patient would you like me to cancel? it shuts them right up...or if you are normally jokey with them... if you dont desist i will slap the backs of your legs - has been known to raise a smile

cheshirekitty Mon 01-Sep-08 19:48:41

No way could I have said that today. Doc was really mad, he was in a strop when he came into work, so I suppose I was the dog that got kicked.

herbietea Mon 01-Sep-08 19:50:06

Message withdrawn

Ronaldinhio Mon 01-Sep-08 19:51:47

Darling that isn't intellectual bullying but actual bullying
YANBU
Either speak to him about how it made you feel or speak to your manager, sorry though

retiredgoth Mon 01-Sep-08 19:59:30

....any fucker trying a stunt like that in my A an E Department would find themselves led outside by the earhole and given a kick up the jacksy.

I'll bet it was an orthopaedic surgeon....

(did you hear about the holistic orthopaedic surgeon? Treats the whole bone not just the fracture. Boom boom.)

TheNaughtiestGirlIsaMonitor Mon 01-Sep-08 20:07:29

Doctors can be another species. I remember when my flatmate was a secretary to a cardiothoracic surgeon. He often used to ring at about 6 am and just gruffly instruct me to "get Rachel". After crawling at of bed at 6am several times, I once I said to him "you're ringing at 6 am, I think I'm going to let her sleep 'til 7 actually" and put down the phone. He was apparently furious with her that her flatmate hadn't been made aware of how important he and his job were. wanchor.

Unbelievable God complex.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now