Talk

Advanced search

To not want to get rid of my nappies even though they're both potty trained?

(18 Posts)
Flibbertyjibbet Mon 01-Sep-08 10:37:58

I've just been listing some nappy nippas and bits and bobs for sale.
I can't bring myself to sell my small size fab quality flat terry nappies.... I keep telling dp that they will come in handy for years and we should keep them.

I miss seeing them flapping on the line sad

They are too heavy to post cheaply so I'd have to sell them for pennies. I keep thinking they will pay for themselves in terms of dusters things!

He says we are moving to smaller house and that I promised to get rid of everything we don't need.

But I can't. I really caaaaaaaaaaaaan't.

So please tell me all the uses for old flat nappies that i can tell him tonight smile

Or am I 'just not ready' and I'll be able to let go of them at a later stage?????

(Def no more babies I am 46 with a 3 yo and 2yo).

juneybean Mon 01-Sep-08 10:39:06

My mum kept my terry towel for when I went to nursery and sewed my name into it.

TheDevilWearsPrimark Mon 01-Sep-08 10:39:56

I've kept tiny ones for DD's dolls. Same with tiny dresses and shoes.

She doesn't even play with dolls, but I keep telling myself she might.

jvs Mon 01-Sep-08 10:41:55

I cant get rid of mine either!
Although as you said some of them are being used as dusters now.
Well done for having 2 over the age of 40 by the way, gives me hope that I could have another in the future!

Seeline Mon 01-Sep-08 10:41:55

My Mum still uses my old ones for drying the cats wehn theyv've been out in the rain and covering chairs etc to stop the cat hair! I'm 40 blush

GillianLovesMarmite Mon 01-Sep-08 10:43:05

Could you not just keep a couple for yourself and then donate the others to someone who would really love them and get lotsof use out of them but would otherwise not be able to have such nice washables - I'm thinking maybe someone at a womens refuge or homeless charity. That way you would still have a couple to be attached to, but you would know that the rest were helping someone else to do the best for their lovely baby and you could imagine them being all snuggly round another tiny bum and being used for their original purpose?...

Ready4anotherCoffee Mon 01-Sep-08 10:44:34

mopping up puddles of various liquidshmm
cleaning up vomit
drying out shoes and boots

Flibbertyjibbet Mon 01-Sep-08 10:51:11

Thanks ready4 I am just off upstairs to put a couple in the bathroom - ds2 decided he wants to wee standing up.....

I'll put some in the car for drying feet after puddle splashing sessions.

VinegarTits Mon 01-Sep-08 10:56:07

Would you dh far for any of these:

-They could be used as hats/ear muffs in the cold weather
-Wrap around feet and used as slippers
-Wrap around toliet seat and dadah, instant cushioning for you bum on cold mornings
-Attractive cushions for the back seat of your car
-Travel cushions/pillows
-Fold into oblonge shape and used a wrist rests for when your mning
-Book covers
-Oven gloves

No?

VinegarTits Mon 01-Sep-08 10:57:04

fall not far

petitmaman Mon 01-Sep-08 10:59:24

Oven gloves? nice.
what about saving them for grandchildren?
my mum uses mine as dusters still.
just keep a couple

Flibbertyjibbet Mon 01-Sep-08 11:02:52

lol at vinegar tits.

When dp comes home tonight I will be wearing one on my head - knotted at the corners grin

Have just been upstairs to put some on the facecoth pile, they looked so nice with their satin bindings that I've hung them up to use as hand towells instead!

Oven glove is a good one. I burned my hand last week trying to lift a casserole dish using a folded muslin...

CarGirl Mon 01-Sep-08 11:05:01

How about donate them to a charity?? I collect nappies that get sent to Malawi to make up baby layettes (2 nappies, pin, wrap, baby grow, vest, outfit, hat) and distributed free of charge to people in need. Keep a few as a useful keepsake though!

Flibbertyjibbet Mon 01-Sep-08 11:11:25

But donating = getting rid of and I'm not ready to do that yet.
I don't have millions, about 10 and so far this morning have managed to distribute them to other useful locations around the house smile

CarGirl Mon 01-Sep-08 11:13:09

I was kind of thinking keep 4, donate 6 grin think of all those poor babies with nothing [guilt enducing emoticon]

That's impressive though, relocating 10 in one morning!

Flibbertyjibbet Mon 01-Sep-08 11:18:21

Its not impressive when I'm self employed and a stack of PAID WORK to do this morning!!! shockgrin

ecoworrier Mon 01-Sep-08 11:38:17

My eldest is nearly 16 and we're still using some of her terry nappies for mucky jobs and general mopping up purposes!

lickleolme Mon 01-Sep-08 11:41:57

my terry nappies are 13 years old. They have been used A LOT! but they are not needed any more, but, because I have kept them looking good (and more importantly VERY CLEAN!) I know use them as tea towels.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now