Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To expect a 3 yr old to be in a car seat in their own car (I know the answer already tbh)

(9 Posts)
chipmunkswhereareyou Sun 31-Aug-08 23:03:24

Met someone today who said about her 3 year old 'I never put x in a car seat'. I was at her car with her and there wasn't even a car seat in it, never mind him escaping or anything like that.

She just uses the normal adult seatbelt.

That's so illegal and so stupid. I was shock

Don't know her well enough to say anything but tempted to say something to mutual friend.

PeaMcLean Sun 31-Aug-08 23:10:47

That's very sad.

I was concerned this week about DS's friend who doesn't have a booster seat. He's 7. But that's worse.

Does mutual friend know her better? ie, could she say something?

chipmunkswhereareyou Sun 31-Aug-08 23:14:10

Yes mutual friend does know her well I think.
But I'm not sure how she could bring it up without it being obvious it came from me (I was in her car and not sure that mutual friend would have been so she probably wouldn't know).

I was quite shocked. She was so casual about it.

MsHighwater Sun 31-Aug-08 23:18:05

Is this in the UK? Does she not know it is illegal (as well as spectacularly irresponsible, of course)?

PeaMcLean Sun 31-Aug-08 23:22:07

not everyone will be worried by it being illegal. I'm sure DS's friend's parents would scoff at the fine. hmm (they're not rich just stupid. Grrr...)

And in terms of irresponsibility, you may be up against "nanny state" comments.

Tricky one to tackle. Need proper facts if you / friend decide to tackle it.

Ashantai Sun 31-Aug-08 23:54:11

Show her this
www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yUl4dCK1GA&feature=related
And tell her how much worse it would be for a 3yr old angry

S1ur Sun 31-Aug-08 23:57:51

I'd have thought the fact you don't know her is a perfect reason for bluntly saying.

Gosh you know that's stupid and irresponsible right?

She'll hate you and never speak to you again but she'll remember what you said.

Annoymous blunt advice, perfect for winning friends and influencing people... well 1 out of 2 eh?

nappyaddict Mon 01-Sep-08 02:34:34

before the law changed in 2006 once a child turned three they no longer had to be in a car seat. perhaps she thinks if it was ok 2 years ago why isn't it ok now?

chipmunkswhereareyou Mon 01-Sep-08 09:48:42

Could be that Nappy as she has considerably older kids too so maybe doesn't realise the law has changed. That's not going to wash with a policeman if she gets stopped is it!

Will mention it in passing to mutual friend but I am unlikely to see her again so can't really do it directly now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now