Talk

Advanced search

to deprive old man of his garden gnome?

(14 Posts)
Tinkywinks Sun 31-Aug-08 21:16:07

I am doing some work from home at the moment, organising mail for one of those companies that send out those horrible letters saying "you have won £20,000" (small print - probably not) and then getting you to place an order for one of their crap products. I'm basically deleting all contacts on envelopes that have come back "return to sender".

However, one of them had a letter inside from an OAP saying that he was really chuffed that he had won this money, and asking for the staff of this company to take £950 from his winnings to have a drink on him! He also enclosed an order and a postal order for £15 for a horrible, well over priced cheap looking garden gnome. I've also seen a few letters from people saying they never received their products.

Do I do him a favour and chuck his postal order away and take him off the mailing list? Or do I send it on to the company like I'm supposed to?

southeastastra Sun 31-Aug-08 21:18:06

buy him the gnome yourself

southeastastra Sun 31-Aug-08 21:18:52

and report the company you're working for to trading standards!

Tinkywinks Sun 31-Aug-08 21:24:03

Well there's no way I'd pay £15 for a gnome either! I'm not actually working for the company directly, I'm working through another company that deals with lots of companies mail outs.

southeastastra Sun 31-Aug-08 21:25:10

i feel sorry for him, can't you call him and explain tat he hasn't won all the money?

BouncingTurtle Sun 31-Aug-08 21:26:06

Can you send the postal order back to him? He'll have already paid that money out!

allthatglitters Sun 31-Aug-08 21:26:48

Don't chuck the PO away, he has already paid out the £15 for it, if anything I'd send it back to him

platypussy Sun 31-Aug-08 21:27:26

How is chucking his postal order away doing him a favour? He will have already paid for it.

platypussy Sun 31-Aug-08 21:28:33

Sorry - Im so slow in typing!

cheesesarnie Sun 31-Aug-08 21:28:36

i agree send it back sad

Tinkywinks Sun 31-Aug-08 21:28:47

Sorry, forgot how postal orders work! Thanks for reminding me! So the question is, whether I should send it back then.

cheesesarnie Sun 31-Aug-08 21:29:43

yes

Tinkywinks Sun 31-Aug-08 21:31:00

I suppose there is the element of risk that he might contact the company again and ask why have they sent his postal order back?

southeastastra Sun 31-Aug-08 21:31:52

i'd pass it on reluctantly but inform someone

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now