Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to want to finish my diploma?

(24 Posts)
loopylou6 Sun 31-Aug-08 17:13:52

our youngest child starts school full time onw ednesday so i am finally able to work smile for the past year i have worked really hard at a computer course and i have gained my certificate but am just a few steps away from a diploma. dh has just started a new job with monthly pay and admittedly we are struggling with making the money stretch being paid monthly. now heres the AIBU part, dh wants me to leave my diploma and go to work coz if i get paid weekly it will help our finances, i appreciate this but why should i have to give up something i worked hard for? we had our first child when we where only 16 but i never stood in the way of him training. i think i feel like hes trying to control me, and i will not be controlled by -anyone-
so what do you think? AIBU?

OldLadyKnowsNothing Sun 31-Aug-08 17:21:17

How long will it take to get your diploma? Can you stretch the finances during that time?

lulumama Sun 31-Aug-08 17:22:14

can you combine the diploma and part time work? how long will it take you to finish

3andnomore Sun 31-Aug-08 17:24:20

hm, personally doesn't seem great that he wants you to stop pursuing your diploma....afterall, longterm it will probably pay to have that qualification.

Is it a fulltime course...is there a chance you could find a small Job just to help with the pennies?

loopylou6 Sun 31-Aug-08 17:28:28

the diploma is 5 modules, 5 exams, i have done 4 modules and 3 exams, so only 1 module and 2 exams to go, it is only on a wednesday morning and i would be perfectly happy to work around that, but i cant exactly go for a job interview and tell them i cant workw ednesday mornings can i? it wont take long for me to finish probably only a month or 2 if i work very hard.

lulumama Sun 31-Aug-08 17:30:04

then he is being unreasonable.. can you do evening work of any kind?

surely the diploma will increase your earning power anyway

loopylou6 Sun 31-Aug-08 17:30:04

also i really need as many quals as i can get, because i got pregnant at 16 and chose to be a full time mum i dont really have any work experiance, so i have worked hard doing courses and studying to get the job i want whilst dd has been in playschool

Tortington Sun 31-Aug-08 17:30:28

how long will it take/

3andnomore Sun 31-Aug-08 17:32:02

I am sure you can find jobs around one morning....have you considered working in a Supermarket....

loopylou6 Sun 31-Aug-08 17:32:33

exactly lulu, i would get SO much more interest from potential employers if i have a diploma. i feel quite angry with dh over this, tbh hes not normally the unreasonable type, but hes outdone himself on this, i feel like he doesnt care if i get a good career so long as i am bringing in some money, i have thrown myself into being a good mum for the past 9 years and have been looking forward to making something of myself once the children are in school

loopylou6 Sun 31-Aug-08 17:34:30

no more than a couple of months custy
3andnomore, not that there is anything wrong in working in a supermarket, but that wouldnt be for me really, not unless you mean working there untill my diploma is finished then look for a job i want? i would happily do this, but its just if they would accomadate my times

loopylou6 Sun 31-Aug-08 17:36:20

does anyone know if employees can request weekly pay instead of monthly or is that unheard of?

pamelat Sun 31-Aug-08 17:38:56

cant you do both??

The Open Uni are excellent for fitting in with your life.

Or like everyone else says, cant you do some part time work (in the evenings or something) until you have your diploma. Maybe work from home or get involved in market research. I used to do mystery shopping and loved it!

3andnomore Sun 31-Aug-08 17:54:14

btw, why is weekley pay so important?
Sorry if it obvious and I am just really dim

KVC Sun 31-Aug-08 17:56:19

Message withdrawn

kitsmummy Sun 31-Aug-08 18:08:59

As it's only one morning a week, why not do cleaning for the couple of months until your diploma finishes? You'd probably get paid weekly then and could fit it perfectly around school, diploma etc

Backgammon Sun 31-Aug-08 18:11:47

Temping? That normally pays weekly and you turn down any Wednesday AM work.

loopylou6 Sun 31-Aug-08 18:20:42

3andnomore, for some people im sure monthly pay is fine, but we just CANNOT seem to budget and end up skint after a fortnight.
thanks for the suggestions, they do sound very do-able, what is temping though? (i aint the shapest tool in the box grin) so its decided, i will continue my diploma and try and get supermarket/cleaning work whilst i finish it smile

3andnomore Sun 31-Aug-08 18:34:24

have you considered a seperate account just for bils, where you transfer the amount to that you need and the rest is for living...iykwim...helps with teh budgeting malarky!

Or you could do it the other way around and have an account that ou tranfer money weekly into...and that is your livign account...

loopylou6 Sun 31-Aug-08 18:36:36

yes not a bad idea 3andnomore, will defo have to look into something like that, it justs eems i have sooooo many bills and by the time ive paid them all and got some food in theres nowhere near enough to get through the month sad it seems that when we got paid monthly we didnt struggle hardly, sounds impoosible i know, giving that the income is thesame, but thats how it seemed

loopylou6 Sun 31-Aug-08 18:37:09

that should of been when we got paid weekly we didnt struggle hmm

3andnomore Sun 31-Aug-08 18:49:40

we are rubbish with budgeting, but opening a Bills account really seems to help...because we know where we stand....all our bills are by direct debit , and a lot always had different paydays...which made it impossible at tiems to know how much you actually got...but now it doesn't matter....indeed, we now even manage to safe a small amount...by overpaying into the bill account...

Alambil Sun 31-Aug-08 19:17:15

Then split your monthly income into weekly; if the amount is the same, then it should work?

Or add up how much you spend per week and transfer that into another account to wait for bills-day then use the rest on whatever you need through the month; other than food and petrol/travel, is there that much per week you need regularly; how often do you need to buy clothes etc?

What I mean is - does it just SEEM harder because you get £400 instead of 4 amounts of £100 for example... so to break the lump down will help?

loopylou6 Sun 31-Aug-08 19:48:09

thanks girls for all your suggestions, will sit down tomorrow and write down EVERYTHING that goes out and what comes in, and see if i can open a seperate account, also will try and split the money into 4 weeks (will take strong willpower wink) smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now