Talk

Advanced search

to think 11 is tooyoung to be left at home,all day, every day?

(5 Posts)
chickydee Sat 30-Aug-08 15:20:58

aquaintance of mine works full time, and rather than leave her dd with childminder/freind/granny she leaves her alone at home every day. This girl has her own key and mobile phone so can be out and about wherever she wants, and can contact mum when ever she needs to. My dd is same age, (3 months older actually) and I wouldn't do it, but is it just me? This girl looks 15, hangs round with 14 and 15 yr olds, and is generally not a very nice child, but I do fear for her being left so often, alone.
Incidentally, her mother has no idea (or just doesn't care) of what her dd is doing, who she is with, and what sort of things her dd is saying/texting to her peers (I won't say freinds because my dd can't stand her now)
What do you think to this??

BoysAreLikeDogs Sat 30-Aug-08 15:25:11

It all depends on the child and the family circumstances.

There is no law on the age at which you can leave a child alone.

How do you know what the girl is texting to her friends ? Or that the mother doesn't care what her daughter gets up to? I note that you don't question what the father could do to assist in child care arrangements.

Bit judgy OP I feel.

chickydee Sat 30-Aug-08 15:34:54

I know what she is texting because my dd recieves the filth she sends, I know the mother doesn't care because I tell her as does a freind of mine who also experiences her dd's wrath,and the father doesn't live with them, and when she visits him he gets drunk, and how,exactly,is it all so judgemental? I gave my opinion that's all,and asked if others thought it was too young.
I know there is no law as to the age a child can be left, but I wouldn't want to leave my dd,aho is almost 12, for such a long time.

AMumInScotland Sat 30-Aug-08 15:44:20

I woudn't do it myself, but then I'm not in a position where I have to. Holiday cover for older children can be difficult, and she may not have anyone who she can leave her DD with. DD may also be saying that she is quite capable of looking after herself at home and does not want to go to a club/relative/whatever.

It sounds as if she is not really in danger, and is capable of managing OK - the fact that she is being unpleasant isn't really connected IYSWIM?

MKG Sat 30-Aug-08 15:55:52

My mom started leaving me home alone when I was about 10 and it was fine. Of course times were a little different then.
I don't think 11 is too young.
If you don't like what she is doing, then don't let your dd hang around with her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now