Talk

Advanced search

to expect my d sister to do what the doc said

(13 Posts)
cheshirekitty Fri 29-Aug-08 19:14:53

Am diabetic with very high cholesterol. Lots of heart disease in the family, early deaths etc. Anyway, today at my docs appointment he suggested that my sisters and daughter have a blood test to see what there cholesterol is incase they need treatment.

Daughter and 1 sis ok about it. Other sis laughed in a stupid way and I just know she is not going to do anything about it (took me ages to persuade her to have her smear test).

AIBU to call her a fool?

captainmummy Fri 29-Aug-08 19:44:52

My dh has 'high cholesterol'. He's had various advice over the past 3-4 years, ranging from 'what you eat doesn't affect it' to 'you should never have had it tested in the first place, cos once you are diagnosed, there is little you can do, and it might never be a problem.'
He was rated 5.8, was really good for a year, (on lentils and pulses and soya,) and then tested at 6.8! He's not too bad now, eats most things in moderation, and is still 5.8. The docs don't want to put him on statins (increased risk of ulcers/heart attack) so there isn't much we can do.

Most people have high cholesterol for years, never diagnosed, never treated and live a normal life.

Maybe suggest to your sister that a heathly diet is more important than taking tests and drugs.

tjacksonpfc Fri 29-Aug-08 19:52:03

my dps family has a history of high cholestrol in there family his brother died of a heart attack at the age of 42 which prompted the rest of the family to have there cholestrol tested when my dp was diagnosed his was at 11.8 we have moved to a new area and the dr called him in last week as he was worried that his cholestrol was high at 5.9 when my dp explained teh situation the dr said we will keep you on the statins and other tablets and see you in 2 months the lowest his has got is 4.9

captainmummy Fri 29-Aug-08 19:53:35

T Jackson - 11.8!!!!!!!!!!!!!I didn't know it could get that high! Oh, we've got a way to go yet then grin

lickleolme Fri 29-Aug-08 19:55:43

My dad had a heart attack at 48, I get checked out regularly. She is a fool imo

lilymolly Fri 29-Aug-08 19:57:34

famililial hypercholesteraemia (high blood cholesterol running in families) is a very serious disease and can cause heart attacks and other end organ damage as early as in your 30s.

I would really encourage sister to have it checked.

I think their was something on Jeremey Vine Radio2 this week about a new test which can detect this and then can be simply treat with drugs. I will see if I can get a link

Kimi Fri 29-Aug-08 20:00:30

YABU to call her a fool.... she is a prize muppet

captainmummy Fri 29-Aug-08 20:07:46

Cheshire kitty (and kimi) it's her life. If she doesn't want to acknowledge cervical cancer or heart disease, leave her. You cannot brainwash someone.

Kimi Fri 29-Aug-08 20:12:40

A routine smear saved my sisters life, I never miss one

captainmummy Sun 31-Aug-08 10:24:17

Me neither Kimi.

ummadam Sun 31-Aug-08 10:34:19

she might be laughing it off as she is scared of either the result or that she will have to face making lifestyle changes she does not wish to (or does not feel she can)make. I would stick to gentle encouragement and setting a good example with diet and exercise to show her it can be easily done. Calling her a fool, mocking or repeated nagging is likely to just make her dig her heels in.

Unless it is very high, or she is in her 40s/50s or has other medical problems the family history alone is very unlikely to warrant medication and diet and exercise will be the first port of call. The absolute number is not nearly as important as all the risk factors put together and a low fat diet is best for all of us.

twentypence Sun 31-Aug-08 10:55:44

My mum should be tested for coeliac disease - she won't be as she loves toast and biscuits (the cheaper the better).

My mum should lose some weight so she can have an operation - she won't as she loves toast.

My mother's mum died from heart disease - there is no way my mum would make any lifestyle changes or have regular medical tests based on this fact.

It's her business, and she has the right to decide if she kills herself. I was taken aside by the nurse last time she was in hospital and told how much she needs to lose the weight. I sympathised, but I gave up long ago thinking that anything I said would do anything other than damage our relationship.

I won't listen to her delude herself that she isn't overweight though, or that her diet isn't that bad. I just say that she is wrong and whilst I won't nag her I also will never agree with her.

captainmummy Sun 31-Aug-08 19:31:16

The other thing to consider is that once you have had the tests and had the results, any insurance/assurance company MUST be told. You can carrry on eating crap, smoking, drinking, unsafe sex etc, as long as you don't know what the results are. Once you know, your life-assessments are based on those results.

My Dh's high cholsterol was found out becuase he had a company medical. They insisted on a cholesterol check and once it was established that he had high cholesterol, the premium went up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now