Talk

Advanced search

To think that I should be able to decide whether we can sit on the top deck of the bus or not?

(18 Posts)
Flossish Thu 28-Aug-08 17:35:31

My bus journey today started off badly - I was asked if I regularly get the bus by the bus driver and i said quite often yes. 'Well then for future reference at this time you will always need to collapse the pram so do it beforehand next time.' I thought it was a bit off but at the same time useful information so I just said i would. I recognised the driver as one who has got quite nasty about a woman and a young child before though which made me all the more on edge about what happened.

While this was all going on I had help from a passenger to help me on with DS DD and the buggy, and DS took the opportunity to sneak away upstairs. I was cross about this but remember being desperate to sit upstairs as a child and as much buses we catch tend to be single decker or buggy friendly he rarely gets the chance. So he ran off upstairs leaving me standing next to the driver calling out to him as to where he is sat ' I think he went upstairs!' says another passenger. So up I went and I did tell him off a little bit but not too much and we had a pleasant journey.

I was dreading getting off as I know he became unpleasant with a woman and a toddler who sat upstairs, as he had to wait a long time for them to get down the stairs. Ds is usually quite good at getting up and off however when the time comes and I noted the signs clearly state to 'remain seated until the bus has stopped' so was going to bring this up if he complained about having to wait again.

So we got down the stairs. 'Hello, I was going to say, you really shouldn't go upstairs with children.' I pointed out as he well knew I hadn't intended to go upstairs with them but that as DS was up there I was left with little choice. 'Yes well it is better to sit downstairs' I again pointed out that I hadn't wanted to go upstairs in the first place! I also said that I thought that I should have the choice over where I did sit anyway. And had I not been dsitracted with the conversation he had been having me about telling me to collapse the buggy ready for him in future I would have been able to stop DS from clambering up the stairs!!

Arrrgggghhhh! Why are there so few pleasant bus drivers?

sarah293 Thu 28-Aug-08 17:38:50

Message withdrawn

IdrisTheDragon Thu 28-Aug-08 17:40:34

Why shouldn't you go upstairs with children?

Flossish Thu 28-Aug-08 17:47:30

yup, a first bus driver.

Idris,
he did mutter something about safety but as I said in my OP he got very cross with one woman and her child for holding up his bus when she it took her a little longer to get off the bus. I thought he was unreasonable then.

Jux Thu 28-Aug-08 17:47:34

Bus drivers can be really horrid can't they? One once shut the doors on me half way through getting off when I was bending down to pick up dd and get her off having slung the buggy and shopping onto the pavement. The closing doors pushed me off onto my face on the pavement, luckily I managed to keep dd off the ground as I fell. He just drove off with passengers looking out of the windows at me with shocked faces!

I'm sure there are some nice drivers somewhere.wink

sarah293 Thu 28-Aug-08 17:50:08

Message withdrawn

Flossish Thu 28-Aug-08 17:57:12

I know two lovely drivers. Possible three, but that isn't that he has been nice to me more that on the friday night bus home from work people wave and cheer at him from pretty much every pub on the route home grin hmm. haven't seen one of them since I've been back from mat leave though and the other one I met through work, have never actually seen him nice 'in action' IYSWIm!

TheCrackFox Thu 28-Aug-08 18:00:29

I would phone the bus company and complain - it is not actually part of his job description to be nasty to the customers.

hollyandnoah Thu 28-Aug-08 18:05:11

lol my dads a first driver.
but there are some buggers out there.

LittleMyDancing Thu 28-Aug-08 18:08:46

I had a lovely First bus driver the other day.

He waited for me to organise a million bags and a buggy to get on.

He didn't pull away until DS and I were safely seated, even though DS kicked up a fuss about which seat he wanted to sit on.

When I got off, he said 'Take your time, lovey, don't rush yourself' as I struggled with all our stuff and a very tired DS.

I'm assuming FirstBus has now sent him for retraining.

naturalblonde Thu 28-Aug-08 20:02:29

I'm a bus driver and I'm lovely grin

Elasticwoman Thu 28-Aug-08 20:11:16

Green points to you for getting the bus and saving the earth.

Here is a story about even worse busdriver to cheer you up. woman gets on bus with her baby. busdriver says "Ugh! That's the ugliest baby I've ever seen!" Flabbergasted, the woman flounces off to her seat, glowering all around her. A man opposite her asks what the trouble is. The woman says: "that busdriver has just insulted me!" To which the other passenger replies "Ooh I wouldn't stand for that. You go back and tell him what for. I'll hold your monkey for you!"

LittleMyDancing Thu 28-Aug-08 20:12:42

naturalblonde, do you work for FirstBus? <<nosey emoticon>>

I'm always in awe of how rubbish some of their staff are, but I'm assuming you're one of the hidden gems.

the one i had the other day had his iPod on, so he couldn't hear what fare I wanted hmm

shubiedoo Thu 28-Aug-08 20:22:16

Elasticwoman that's my favourite joke of all time! I tell it over and over much to dh's annoyance!

naturalblonde Thu 28-Aug-08 20:22:25

Hell no wouldn't work for First bus!!!
My parents run a bus company and I work for them.

LittleMyDancing Fri 29-Aug-08 20:06:34

Glad to hear it, naturalblonde...grin

SecondMrsDeWinter Fri 29-Aug-08 20:19:27

I live in London & most bus drivers are absolute assholes! They do put up with a lot of stick though. It's not a job I'd fancy so I always make sure to say thank you, even if it is usually met with a grunt or a blank stare.

Janni Fri 29-Aug-08 20:28:50

He was completely out of order and you should simply ignore/forget it. I travel on London buses all the time and have never faced anything like this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now