Talk

Advanced search

to be annoyed at someone-or-other for giving dcs...

(33 Posts)
almostblue Thu 28-Aug-08 13:21:50

a bottle of Brewers Gold beer; a packet of Monks sausages; an iMac; and these boots?

<<waits hopefully>>

NigellaTheOriginal Thu 28-Aug-08 13:23:16

hmm don't get it.

TheProvincialLady Thu 28-Aug-08 13:24:53

YANBU. Someone or other should always check with you first before inflicting potentially damaging footwear on your PFB.

belgo Thu 28-Aug-08 13:24:54

depends on age of dcshmm

mamadiva Thu 28-Aug-08 13:25:31

I'm assuming this is a piss take out of the one about the jaffa cake?

NigellaTheOriginal Thu 28-Aug-08 13:28:35

but would the beer help them sleep? if so then YABU.
and are the sausages made by or out of monks.

almostblue Thu 28-Aug-08 13:29:24

It's a reference. Not a piss take (I wouldn't dare...)

I am simply hoping to start a run on the aforementioned items by mn posters, which will then encourage the manufacturers to offer me remuneration in kind.

Keep it under your hat, though.

stitch Thu 28-Aug-08 13:30:36

only if the shoes were not in your size.
if they are in your size, then you should allow your dd to acccept them graciously, and then confiscate them of course.
the beer and the sausages i amnot too sure about. the imac, well, of course darling. they should be accpeted.

stitch Thu 28-Aug-08 13:30:38

only if the shoes were not in your size.
if they are in your size, then you should allow your dd to acccept them graciously, and then confiscate them of course.
the beer and the sausages i amnot too sure about. the imac, well, of course darling. they should be accpeted.

almostblue Thu 28-Aug-08 13:31:23

Oh. I meant Musks sausages. blush

I think they're made by angels...

pamelat Thu 28-Aug-08 17:26:36

Yet again, an example of mumsnet of intolerance of other people actually giving a damn.

almostblue Thu 28-Aug-08 17:31:26

...yet again, an example on mumsnet of people not reading revelant posts/threads and jumping to conclusions based on their own presumptions...

almostblue Thu 28-Aug-08 17:31:45

'revelant'?!

snarky Thu 28-Aug-08 17:33:08

Yet again, some po-faced ignoramus getting all unnecessary about nothing in particular

lingle Thu 28-Aug-08 18:32:00

Trouble is, almostblue, that Stitch has a better sense of humour than you.

So your jaffa missiles are falling rather wide of the mark.

pamelat Thu 28-Aug-08 18:45:14

The OP was bait, if I can refer you all to

<<waits hopefully>>

In the mood I am in, am happy to take it.

I am sick of people (not even me) being 'picked on' for being PFB, for not wanting to give their BABIES chocolate/sweets etc, for not wanting to smoke around them

Am more than happy for you all (majority of you) to leave your babies unattended in cars, smoke beside them on the swing and feed them crap but I wont be doing it to mine.

Worst still you slag off anyone who dare be perhaps a little over anxious as a first time mum. This is what has made me angry. Don't you think that new mums have enough on their plates?

To those of you with more kids or simply a more 'relaxed' parenting style, I admire your juggling of life and I am genuinely impressed, but why not leave off those of us who may be struggling with our new anxieties? I just dont get why you need to be nasty about it.

almostblue Fri 29-Aug-08 10:31:42

oh ffs, the 'waits hopefully' was for free stuff to arrive from the manufacturers. I'm not claiming it was a post of Woodhousian hilarity, just a mild in-joke arising from a friendly exchange between Stitch and me.

I am the food nazi to end all food nazis, by the way. My sons didn't taste chocolate until they were about 18 months old, and it wasn't me who gave it to them. For breakfast they have no added anything cereal. They are 3.5 years old and I have never bought them a sweet or a biscuit. I can't make scrambled egg without putting spinach in it. They only have flavoured yoghurt if I puree the fucking fruit myself. Every time MIL visits, she brings a bag full of fruit 'because I know that's what you'd like me to get them'[with a wistful smile of someone who'd rather give her grandchldren Haribo].

My mum and sister fill 'em full of ice cream and chocolate biscuits when I'm not looking, because we ALL know that my food issues are precisely that. MY food issues. Wanting to avoid crap and encourage a healthy balanced diet isn't bad parenting; driving yourself into a tizzy because a bit of refined sugar has slipped through the net (not that this is what stitch was doing, btw), is self-induced guilt tripping, and I'm very slowly learning to steer a line between the two approaches, with a definite leaning towards the latter.

There. Better?

almostblue Fri 29-Aug-08 10:33:09

the former!

LilRedWG Fri 29-Aug-08 10:35:00

Pamelat - the thread refers to doesn't isn't even about the poster's child - it's their neice or some such, so not actually their decision at all.

lingle Fri 29-Aug-08 11:08:06

Ah... I see.... I had thought it wasn't friendly but the Internet is no respecter of tone.

My kids eat crap at least once a day even though I hardly ever buy it for them. So I get really annoyed when someone paints me as a food nazi for trying to limit my kids to one piece of rubbish a day. Some people seem to think I am judging them. Usually, I'm so far from judging them that I'm not even sure what their child is called, or which child is theirs. It's as if the mere act of me saying no to my child is a secret criticism of them. I only care what their kids eat if they are giving it to my child too.

It's strange. My kids are scruffy and sometimes watch too much tv. But I would never attack or mock someone with smart children whose tv watching is under control. Nor would I think she was judging me. And if she was judging, I would be indifferent on the scruffy/smart front and on the tv front I would reassess my own parenting.

So why is it always ok to claim that allowing your children lots of junk = "chilled" and that therefore limiting junk = not "chilled"? I'm completely chilled about food. If I felt out of control on the junk front, then I wouldn't be chilled.

pamelat Fri 29-Aug-08 11:11:42

the chilled and relaxed bit is in response to be called precious, anxious, irrational whenever I try to do anything to look after my DD.

Maybe i am wrong about the food and maybe next time round, I will laugh at myself but for now I feel ridiculed for trying to do what I think is best. Not on this thread but on the threads that the OP makes light of.

pamelat Fri 29-Aug-08 11:12:19

I apologise if I missed the point in the original OP but really dont think I did?

lingle Fri 29-Aug-08 11:28:19

Pamelat, I completely understand. It's a bit like being accused of being "politically correct", or being told you're "defensive" - immensely rude and provocative, but there's no way to deny it without giving them more ammunition.

Enjoy being in control of what your kids eat for as long as you can and be constantly aware that others may think you're judging them even if you aren't. We all have areas that we're roughly in control of at least some of the time, and others that we're not in control of. Nothing more than that. We aren't better mothers because of our attitude to food.

It's tough when they start pre-school. A political minefield because people start bringing in sweets on birthdays. Thank god for Organix. Looks like junk, tastes as good as junk, but isn't junk. hallelujah.

almostblue Fri 29-Aug-08 13:06:16

You did, pamelat, actually. I didn't actually comment on whether stitch was being unreasonable or not on the other thread. I waited until things had calmed down a jot (largely thanks to stitch being able to laugh at herself) then made a light-hearted comment about how everyone now wanted a Jaffa cake, and perhaps she was being sponsored, or hoping for free Jaffa cakes, which, oh-so-not-very-amusingly-as-it-turns-out, gave me an idea.

It wasn't terribly funny to start with, and gets less so with analysis.

I think, by the way, that you have a point with regard to a tendency on mn to play 'less-right-on-than-thou', and mock those who are anxiously trying to do the right thing by their PFB - citing the evils of 'competitive parenting' whilst hotly competing to be more 'chilled and hands off' than the next mother.

But all that bollox has nothing to do with me. If you want a thread that debates this issue... start one of your own.

onebatmother Fri 29-Aug-08 13:22:22

Only a few days to go till the beginning of term..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now