Talk

Advanced search

to think that people should not push in front of dd1 when she is in a queue?

(25 Posts)
SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Wed 27-Aug-08 19:47:10

because that is exactly what it is a queue. where you wait your turn because that is polite thing to do. it shouldnt matter whether it is a petite four year old girl who wont say anything to you if you ignore the 'rules' or a brick sh*t house who will smack you as soon as look at you. you wait your turn because thats what queues are for not because you are worried about what the person in front might do to you.

dd1 was in the queue in maccyd's wanting to buy an ice cream. i couldnt queue as i had dd2 strapped into the highchair eating her dinner and she has a habit of climbing out of them in order to stand on the tray. so when dd1 wanted an ice cream i gave her the money and she politely joined the queue at the back and waited as she has been taught to do. when she got to the front two familys behind her just walked infront of ehr as if she was not there and got served before her. she had been in the queue in front of them for about 10 minutes so i fail to believe that they did not see her.

do i have teach my four year old how to argue with people so that she can get served in cafe? surely as adults we should know better and wait our turn?

cupsoftea Wed 27-Aug-08 19:56:18

Once I had a child about 8yrs in front of me at our corner shop & the checkout person was going to take my basket first - I said the child was first & he said to me was I sure. I replied the child was first but he then asked the boy if he'd pushed in!!! - no I said - it was really true!!!

Awful those families pushed in - wrong of them to do this.

slavemum Wed 27-Aug-08 19:59:02

tell her to cry very loudly 'mummmeee that bad lady/man took my turn' and see how fast they back off.

TheDuchessOfNork Wed 27-Aug-08 20:02:37

I'm with slavemum, though I'd swap 'bad' for 'rude'. grin

thisisyesterday Wed 27-Aug-08 20:04:07

bloody annoying isn't it?
DS1 who is 3.5 is really keen to go and get his own things in cafes and he often gets people pushing in front of him.

I now try and sit close to the till. in starbucks the other day he was queuing for a pink cake (bless him!) and some people came up and went to speak to the cashier and I jsut said loudly "it's your turn now DS, tell the lady what you want"

they looked a bit shocked. what's with that?

grrrrrrr

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Wed 27-Aug-08 20:04:21

i have told her that she should tap thier leg and say "excuse me but i was in the queue and i was in front of you" she added when asked to repeat what she should say .."if you had asked if you could go first i would have said yes i like queuing with the big girls" hmm

she said she didnt say anything to them because she is not allowed to tell adults what to do <ah some of it sinks in wink>

cupsoftea Wed 27-Aug-08 20:06:17

But why doesn't the cashier say to the others - It's this childs turn now. He/She has waited in the queue.

It's hard for a small child to speak up over a group of rude pushy grown-ups.

AvenaLife Wed 27-Aug-08 20:07:15

My son shouts "Hey, they pushed in". This sorts them out.

I hate people running across the road when it's not safe when I take ds out. I'm trying to teach him to be safe and they just run out. angry

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Wed 27-Aug-08 20:08:30

yes i know but in maccyd's they are mainly teenagers who probably wish they are somewhere else. not bothered about who was first in line. but you are right they should refuse to serve the people who push in front untill they wait their turn.

beansmum Wed 27-Aug-08 20:09:46

This happened to ds last time we were in john lewis. He waited for AGES to buy a gingerbread man while I was getting my pasta, then somebody pushed in front and then when he had FINALLY got to the till the (stupid) woman wouldn't serve him until I came over, which meant I lost my place in my queue grrrrr. He was really upset and didn't understand she wouldn't take his money.

lilymolly Wed 27-Aug-08 20:39:04

Ah out of the mouths of babes........

We where in a queue today at a hospital for a lift and this man pushed in- I politely told him there was a queue and he apologised and waited his turn.

An hour later me and dd 2.7 where waiting to get into a lift back to the car park and this man approached us to use the car park machine and dd said "no man wait your turn" blush shock I was mortified and told her not to speak to adults like that and it was rude etc.......
but when me and dp where talking about it tonight it dawned on me that she was just copying me as I told the other man off and often tell her it is polite to "wait your turn"

You just can win can ya?

The familys where pretty rude and I would have gone up and said something tbh but I am loud mouth grin

slavemum Wed 27-Aug-08 20:44:34

shesells, wouldlove to substitute your tap them on the leg for kick them on the shin...
would teach them all the wrong things but would be soooo satisfying.

babyignoramus Wed 27-Aug-08 20:51:04

Why won't people serve children....?madness. I used to work in a cinema and never let adults push in front. I got a 10p tip from an 8 year old once.

NutterlyUts Wed 27-Aug-08 21:02:48

I am a pushover nice person and let kids/mums with babies/old people/anyone else who looks at me in a certain way in front of me in the queue! Am also not afraid to say to people "That little girl/boy was ahead of you"

Nutterly.. Queue Hero!!

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Wed 27-Aug-08 21:03:04

they served her in macd's eventually. she often queues for things herself. and has never been refused, usually at the loacl shop and the women behind the tills know her and shout her forward when its her turn. i cannot understand why people would refuse to serve a child?

andyrobo237 Wed 27-Aug-08 21:13:30

How do we expexct children to learn how to pay for things in shops if the staff wont let them! I agree local shops are the best, as they have the patience to let a child do the buying.

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Wed 27-Aug-08 21:57:51

well that is my point how do we teach kids things like queuing if a) adults who should know better just walk past them like they are not there and b) shop keepers refuse to serve them?

NorbertDentressangle Wed 27-Aug-08 22:05:03

Some old gimmer tried to push in front of DD in our little Woolies today.

I was geared up ready to say something (as I knew DD wouldn't) but the shop assistant spotted what was happening and told him to get to the back of the queue.

The trouble is, in big places like McDs, little ones just get overlooked in the masses

Alambil Thu 28-Aug-08 00:52:12

Absolutely!! I'm SICK of adults pushing in front of kids.

DS was at the gates of Buckingham Palace today (with me, of course) and this woman elbowed her way through and pushed DS out the way so he couldn't see - I trod on her foot (all 19st of me)... she yelped... she didn't speak English (as proven by not understanding "excuse me please") so I had to get the message across another way

Then, a few hours later in a souveneir shop, someone pushed infront of him AGAIN!

I'm SICK to the back teeth of it; kids are people, people queue in this country; it's not a difficult thing to understand, even if your own country doesn't do it! (as in the case of tourists for eg)

mistyamica Thu 28-Aug-08 01:03:00

I would have shouted really loud
"OI! MY DAUGHTER IS IN THE QUEUE. MOVE!!!!"

I get really annoyed about things like that and I'll quite happily confront some greedy inconsiderate person who cannot wait more than 5 mins to get served a burger and slate them down to the ground so that they feel so bad about themselves they leave the shop and either eat elsewhere or not at all.

It's a big step for kiddies to want to get served by themselves and I encourage it. so why let beasts like that spoil it?

Ok rant over...sorry! grin

LynetteScavo Thu 28-Aug-08 01:05:37

Hope the rest of your day in London was good LewisFan!

DS was badly pushed in fornt of once when we were on holiday - he was the only one queing. It turned out I actually new the pusher in, even though we were hundreds of miles from home. Ha! She was just a bit suprised!

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Thu 28-Aug-08 01:32:39

after the second time it happened i did shout over "dd stop letting every one push in front of you it is very naughty of them" the man behind her then directed her to the next till! if i had been sat closer to the till i would have said something more but i couldnt get up and leave d2 and she would have bawled the place down if i removed her away from her food!

salsmum Thu 28-Aug-08 01:43:57

When my daughter is in a queue in her electric wheelchair if she does'nt move forward at lightening speed peeps will walk around her chair to get in front of her angry then supamum steps in and tells her in a loud voice "sal move you're losin your space" usually works wink grin

mistyamica Thu 28-Aug-08 01:47:08

fair play to you. and shame on the people pushing in! Maybe it was a good job you weren't any closer?

A full blow row could have occurred and you don't need that with your dc's around!
Although I would have done the same! shock

lol

Ozziegirly Thu 28-Aug-08 03:24:40

I hate queue pushers in general. Although my strategy now is to give them my sweetest smile and say "Oh, I'm sorry, you probably haven't noticed but the queue starts over there". They are normaly flustered and I have never had anyone be rude back to me.

I don't like rudeness either....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now