Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to get a tattoo???

(22 Posts)
memoo Tue 26-Aug-08 17:02:35

Long story short, I'm a mother of two, work as a teaching assistant in a primary school and last week i decided to get a tattoo on the side of my foot. Its a nice girly one with swirls and stars.

Today I saw a mum who has a child in the school in which I work. As i was wearing my flipflops she noticed the tattoo on my foot. She looked at me in disgust and said that she didn't think it was "appropiate given my job, and that I was setting a bad example to the children in my class and that she thought it would be frowned apon on school"

The stupid thing is that when I am at work I obviously wear proper shoes rather than flitflops and nobody will be able to see the dam thing anyway!!!!

BCNS Tue 26-Aug-08 17:06:07

If it is covered for work there is no problem IMO.. I mean just becasue you work in a school doesn't mean you don't have a life.

Shame you weren't carrying a huge ann summers bag at the time!

serenity Tue 26-Aug-08 17:07:50

YANBU, she's a twonk.

smile

YA soooooooooooooooooooo NBU

How rude of her.

combustiblelemon Tue 26-Aug-08 17:11:18

Yes, because your tattoo obviously has secret corrupting powers and soon the children will be attempting to give each other body piercings with the safety scissors.

chocolatecakeforbreakfast Tue 26-Aug-08 17:34:58

Some people still think tattoos are the work of the devil! Just ignore her, i had a tattoo at the grand old age of 26 after having my two dc's and love it...was the first thing i'd done 'just for me' in years. Enjoy being a rebel!! Sounds lovely btw, been wanting one on my foot for ages - did it hurt much?

memoo Tue 26-Aug-08 19:43:47

yeah it did hurt but it was definately worth it!

pamelat Tue 26-Aug-08 19:45:15

Silly woman (her, not you)

Mamazon Tue 26-Aug-08 19:46:58

I personally would seek her out when schol goes back and explain to her that her comments were rude and offensive.
having a tattoo does not impeede on your ability to assist in a classroom and nor is it anyones business but your own.

Im a social worker and have 4!

sillty bint.

lizandlulu Tue 26-Aug-08 19:56:46

can we see a pic of it? sound really nice. i am looking for something like that but takes me forever to decide what i wantgrin

DeeRiguer Tue 26-Aug-08 19:59:31

lol combustiblelemon

its your life she sounds very rude

mylovelymonster Tue 26-Aug-08 20:04:01

No, YANBU at all. She was being personal and rude/nosey. Having a tattoo does not alter your skills or ability to do your job, and children know that.

(Just for the record, I don't like tattoos personally, but would defend to the quite poorly your right to sport tattoos should you wish to do so, unless they are very scary)

MuthaHubbard Tue 26-Aug-08 20:06:07

Pffff, none of her business.

People in every walk of life have them (including quite a lot of officers I work with, including the coroner's officer!) and it doesn't hinder them doing their job or affect others.

Unless you have a swastika on your forehead, tis no-one elses business.

scottishmummy Tue 26-Aug-08 20:10:28

god the snippy mum will combust when her children escape her controlling clutches and meet some Very interesting people with tattoos

TheCrackFox Tue 26-Aug-08 20:16:33

Well that is a new one for me - how on Earth does a tattoo stop you being good at your job?
She sounds like a right twat.

DorrisMcWhirter Tue 26-Aug-08 20:20:17

YANBU. I was a teacher for 10 years and had one on my lower back. It upped my 'cool' factor with the kids but then again, they mostly thought someone had drawn on me anyway! Like yours, it could be hidden up when needed but i don't think it filled me with crappiness so I was unable to be a good teacher anymore!

BouncingTurtle Tue 26-Aug-08 20:29:58

I don't really like tattoos but I agree with the other posters - it was none of her business. Ignore her!

Ripeberry Tue 26-Aug-08 22:43:28

Small tattoos are tastefull. It's the women with tattoos all up their arms and backs you have to watch out for!
I had an argument with one this year and she was scary!
I've promised myself a tattoo to celebrate the life of my mum when she passes away as she's always tried to look after me, even though she has manic depression and she stopped me from being a rebel as she would do her usual threatening to kill herself.
So in a way it will be like rebeling but honouring her at the same time, (she hates tattoos).

memoo Wed 27-Aug-08 08:44:28

I have put a pic of it on my profile.

I would kind of get her point if i had a big skull on my arm or something but i think this one is quite tasteful and i'll definately cover it for work.

LynetteScavo Wed 27-Aug-08 08:49:04

As much as I personally hate tattoos, this mum sounds like a total nutter!

Did she know it is a recent tattoo?

AbbeyA Wed 27-Aug-08 08:50:08

I loathe tattoos but it will be covered up and is none of her business so just ignore it.

Fizzylemonade Wed 27-Aug-08 18:47:53

Your tattoo is lovely, it would be covered so what is the big deal.

Do you have your ears pierced? Surely in this woman's warped mind that is also setting a bad example grin Maybe all the 6 year olds will now want their ears pierced, you could be responsible for an uprising!

I love the photo of your son with the missing tooth, my ds1 aged just 5 has just lost his bottom one and the new one is pushing through already. They look so cute with gaps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now