Talk

Advanced search

To be pissed off that when DS did well in his GCSEs FIL said this...

(32 Posts)
Nanacuddles Tue 26-Aug-08 12:33:23

DS got 3 A*s, and 11 As which I was so proud of, I think he's done fantastic.

However, when he went to his grandad's house (DH's dad) he walked in and said 'I've just popped over to show you my results' and his grandad said 'Well you won't have done as well as Ellie, Anne's daughter, she got 9 A*s'.

Totally pissed on his chips.

This is mean, no?

msdemeanor Tue 26-Aug-08 12:34:59

Very, very, very mean. WTF?

msdemeanor Tue 26-Aug-08 12:35:21

Congratulations to your ds btw! Brilliant.

posieflump Tue 26-Aug-08 12:35:31

shock

posieflump Tue 26-Aug-08 12:36:02

competitive grandparenting... tale as old as time

MrsTittleMouse Tue 26-Aug-08 12:36:30

shock
What a complete arse!

snarky Tue 26-Aug-08 12:36:48

bastard! shock

congratulations to your ds. And arseholes to his curmudgeonly old git of a grandad.

Uriel Tue 26-Aug-08 12:37:34

Oh dear. How sad that grandad can't celebrate his grandson's results.

Your son's done really well. smile

RhinestoneCowgirl Tue 26-Aug-08 12:37:43

That is v mean - your DS should be really proud of his results!

Nanacuddles Tue 26-Aug-08 12:37:46

It's just his friend's grandaughter, that's the worst thing. I felt so sorry for DS. He just went 'Oh... alright then.'

Backgammon Tue 26-Aug-08 12:38:45

Horrible.

What's the point of A* anyway, other than to piss on achieving an A?

PookiePodgeandTubs Tue 26-Aug-08 12:40:58

Telling your son that his Granddad is clearly losing it.

I thought at first Anne's daughter was a cousin, but a girl who lives down the road!?!?! Well, eh, brilliant, but is she going to visit him in the old people's home!?

bellabelly Tue 26-Aug-08 12:42:35

Ellie, Anne's daughter - 9 A* = 72 points
Your DS - 3 A* = 24 points PLUS 11 As = 77 points. TOTAL points score = 101 points.

So your DS's grandfather was mean and WRONG.

MaryAnnSingleton Tue 26-Aug-08 12:43:16

mean old git - well done to clever ds nancuddles

purpleduck Tue 26-Aug-08 12:46:44

I think the grandad needs to hear the odd story about how fantastic other grandparents are.
Example
Grandad:"Look Nanacuddles, I got the grandson THIS for his birthday"

Nanacuddles: "Oh it won't be as good as DS's other grandparents gift, it was a ferarri" (or whatever)

OR I suppose you could just tell him that his comments came across dismissive, and your ds was really looking for his grandfathers approval.

Anna8888 Tue 26-Aug-08 12:48:18

How incredibly tactless of your FIL shock.

Is he always this tactless or is it coming upon him with age (as it is wont to do)?

greenandpleasant Tue 26-Aug-08 12:49:05

what an old meanie. well done to your ds. that is brilliant, and 14 GCSES - wow!!

fwiw my grandpa was the same. came in top three in my class, why didn't I come first? Xmas day, back from uni, first comment was "what exam results did you get" literally first comment, no Happy Xmas, how are you .... blardy old codgers.

don't let ds be down about it, who cares about anne down the roads daughters friends neighbour anyway. SHE hasn't got 14 GCSEs.

twoluvlykids Tue 26-Aug-08 12:49:51

well done to clever dc, & "piss off" to stupid old fart pil. what did he leave school with?

chapstickchick Tue 26-Aug-08 12:50:06

nasty old fooker (sorry but that is wrong)

LadyThompson Tue 26-Aug-08 13:07:02

I think your DS has done BRILLIANTLY. Your FIL has...issues. If you think it wouldn't cause a kerfuffle, it's worth pointing out to him what a mean old twat he's been. What a shame, and I hope everyone else makes a fuss of your DS's smashing achievement.

combustiblelemon Tue 26-Aug-08 13:12:40

<<round of applause for Nanacuddles' DS>>

Congratulations to your DS. 14 gcses shock grin I'm just sorry he has to hear that from his grandfather. Perhaps you should tell your FIL that your DS hasn't been as lucky as Ellie, Anne's daughter, because she probably doesn't have such an unpleasant, thoughtless grandfather.

HonoriaGlossop Tue 26-Aug-08 13:22:03

blummin hell in my day we did 7 or 8 subjects, tops. How the hell do they study 14 subjects to GCSE? <baffled>

TBH I think I would take Pookies approach and whisper to DS that you think Grandad is going a bit senile!

and well done to your DS!

bluebell82 Tue 26-Aug-08 17:28:37

well done to your ds! what a meany pants god why are pil such a difficult species! my fil thought it would be funny to write childlines number down and give it to my dd (7months) tyhe other day because she had rolled off the bed- like I didn't feel bad enough... I retorted by saying 'don't make me feel any worse a f'ing shit myself!' I have never sworn in front of them before so I think he realised I was on the edge, he sat back in his chair and watched the golf -silently- until I went home!

My PIL are tossers too, I avoid them at all costs, don't know how they created such a wonderful son my dh- I am a very honest person and I think when they were round for a bbq last year and I said I wanted to put his moms face on the grill he realised that space would be the best medicine!

Sorry to hijack though- very well done to your son you must be immensely proud x

oeufflorentine Tue 26-Aug-08 17:53:06

Poor dh with his Oxford First still has abiding memories of fil saying throughout childhood things like "So, 92% then....what happened to the other 8% ?". Oh and although he was pleased about the first (in an arts subject) he made it clear he was disappointed dh hadn't read Medicine instead...

thefortbuilder Tue 26-Aug-08 18:00:32

well done to your ds and yes 14 subjects!!!

fil is well known to have said to bil on getting 96% in an exam "well it wasn't 100% was it".....and bil is incredibly bright but blardy lazy and does just the minimum to get by now, not fulfilling potential etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now