Talk

Advanced search

to want an easy life and not go for the promotion everyone expects?

(8 Posts)
alpech Tue 26-Aug-08 11:52:12

I am a mother of 2 children age 8 and 4. I work full time shift work and enjoy my job. I have successfully gone through all the processes for promotion and even done the job temporarily.

I am now having second thoughts as after doing the job I come home worrying about things and can't leave problems at work like I am able to do at the moment.

They money isn't that much more and I don't know if I can be bothered with the extra stress.

Am I wrong to want the easy life?

nickytwotimes Tue 26-Aug-08 11:53:46

No, you're not wrong.
Quality of life is important.

cupsoftea Tue 26-Aug-08 11:53:48

Go for the promotion - at least you'll be paid more - you'll be a good boss. Just say if your boss was awful - much more stressful than being the boss

Shoegazer Tue 26-Aug-08 16:23:53

No you are not wrong to want the easy life, you don't have to go for promotion just because it is available. I have done just that twice, I'm a nurse and being anything other than ward based and hands on just doesn't appeal to me, so despite being offered 2 promotions to team leader (sister) in two different jobs I have turned both of them down (one before children were even thought of) because its just not how I want my life to be.

I work part time now. I could fit in more hours, but I don't want to. I don't want to be rich or powerful I just want me and my family to be happy. I think that what you need to ask yourself is whether the promotion would make you happy and if you don't think it will then leave it a while. Money is not everything, but then I'm a nurse I would say that!

TheArmadillo Tue 26-Aug-08 16:25:50

write a list of hte pros and cons.

If it will reduce your quality of life and you don't need the extra money, then it probably isn't worth going for.

Koshka Tue 26-Aug-08 16:28:28

I suppose it depends on how much you enjoyed the promotion bit or if you like the job you are doing now.

Koshka Tue 26-Aug-08 16:29:13

where do you work?
(nosey emoticon)

alpech Wed 27-Aug-08 18:35:37

Thanks for your replies, success isn't just measured in how high up the career ladder you get is it, it's about everything else in your life that's important.

I will give it some more thought, I have a while until a final decision needs to be made. I feel I have the work/family life balance about right and I don't want to tip it over the edge so I think I will probably stay put for the time being, I can always go for it again.

Thanks again

Alpech

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now