Talk

Advanced search

to be pissed off with the doctors I have had recently who seem to not be arsed with seeing patients?

(8 Posts)
BlueberryBeret Tue 26-Aug-08 11:50:30

Last week DH had a weirdy rash, he mentioned in the phone consultation that the kids have both just had chicken pox, so the doctor diagnosed pox.

It was NOT pox. We eventually saw one in person a few days later who agreed it was def not pox.

Today - another phone consultation. I had said to the receptionist that I thought it was slapped cheek (me, a mother with no professional knowledge). Doc called and spoke to DH whilst I was out - treat as slapped cheek (with no advice on what that would be), keep away from kids but fine with adults hmm

VERY pissed off. This is a child. They are basing their diagnosis on my vague memories of how it looks and some googling, plus giving some seriously dubious advice which could wreck someone's pregnancy.

nickytwotimes Tue 26-Aug-08 11:52:33

That is bad.
The thing is, all medical practitioners have access to an online dictionary of rashes, etc if they are unsure.
Could you get a second opinion?

BlueberryBeret Tue 26-Aug-08 11:54:04

I don't really know how. I am considering taking her to the walk in clinic this afternoon and tell em it has gotten worse maybe?

I have pics on my profile but they aren't very clear. She looks sunburnt all over her cheeks, arms and bib (you know what I mean by bib right? it looks like she is wearing one...)

nailpolish Tue 26-Aug-08 11:54:28

why are you tellign the receptionist the details? just phone and tell her you want an appt. its none of her business why

and why the phone consultations? why not just go in?

BlueberryBeret Tue 26-Aug-08 11:55:56

I told her so that I could make sure we were put somewhere separate when we came in (for the pregnant women aspect), and then she decided we needed a phone consultation (common at that time of day)) which normally results in the dr making appointment to see us.

BlueberryBeret Tue 26-Aug-08 11:56:22

The one with DH was a weekend so it was out of hours call

nailpolish Tue 26-Aug-08 11:57:49

in future dont tell the receptionists waht is wrong. you culd have told themwhen you arrived and then jsut sat at the other end of the waiting room

at the weekends it is best to call NHS direct about that sort of stuff

BlueberryBeret Tue 26-Aug-08 12:09:17

Lol - I won't be in future!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now