Talk

Advanced search

to think DH could be better at presents?

(44 Posts)
Nigeela Mon 25-Aug-08 19:32:54

i give him hints. he ignors them. nothing to do with cash (or lack of). he just doesn't get it.
for example

i ask for an ipod - i get a mobile.

i ask for a wii fit - i get a handbag.

i ask for diamonds - i get a jumper.

he is a numpty. i agonise and go out of my way to get him what he wants. to the point that i scour rubbish train memorabilia shops for months pre-christmas. and he buys me a jumper. would it be unreasonable to seve said jumper up in a pie?

eddiejo Mon 25-Aug-08 19:37:00

No YANBU at all. They are blinkin useless at pressies.. It's my anniversary tomorrow and for once I.ve bought him absolutly nothing!!! Should feel blush but feel more like grin ha ha!!

TheHedgeWitch Mon 25-Aug-08 19:39:19

Message withdrawn

Nigeela Mon 25-Aug-08 19:40:36

but i couldn't be clearer in my hints. he just ignors them. i want my diamonds.

tribpot Mon 25-Aug-08 19:40:53

Interesting. I don't get so much as a card from dh, I wonder if a wishlist might be the inspiration he has been lacking.

nickytwotimes Mon 25-Aug-08 19:41:19

Well, tbh I'm not sure.
Those are pretty luxury gifts.
I haven't requested anything for a gift since I was a teenager and wouldn't expect dh to do so either.

posieflump Mon 25-Aug-08 19:42:41

could it be money? An ipod, wii fit and diamonds all cost more than a mobile (well some), a handbag (ditto!) and a jumper surely?

thisisyesterday Mon 25-Aug-08 19:42:48

well, maybe, like my dp he likes to go out and buy something by himself, that he has thought about, rather than being told what to buy.
i mean, if you're goign to tell someone exactly what you want you may as well just go and get it yourself surely??

BroccoliSpeels Mon 25-Aug-08 19:43:23

Was it a nice jumper?

I headed one off at the pass earlier; it's my 30th this year. Have been dropping sledghammer hints about a couple of things I might like. Dp said today that he'd had an idea all of his own <danger danger!> - I managed to winkle out of him that he was thinking of getting me a bottle of something vintage from the year I was born. Erm... that is very sweet and thoughtful, but about those Tiffany catalogues I've been leaving around the house...

Nigeela Mon 25-Aug-08 19:43:41

oh maybe i'm setting my sights a little high?
if i request a T-shirt for christmas maybe i'd get something bigger and better.
is this v shallow?

posieflump Mon 25-Aug-08 19:44:57

a teeny bit shallow yes, we are in the midst of a credit crunch grin

but I know what you mean
dh is useless as well

Nigeela Mon 25-Aug-08 19:46:49

like the time i really really thought he'd bought me a mini (we were much better of then) he went off all please with hinmself to 'fetch my present'. I nearly pooed myself with excitement. he came back with.......

a bike. (!!!!!!&!%$(&%$^%$(&%&))

eddiejo Mon 25-Aug-08 19:55:54

I don't think it's shallow!!! I spend ages getting his pressies just right and even organise my/his parents (at their Req.) to get him something he wants and not some old cak. I'm totally fed up with shite pressies. Hints do nothing. I also love diamonds grin do any of you know when you get that big fat eternity ring!! I think i might be due one.........

eddiejo Mon 25-Aug-08 19:58:00

I would be mightily disapointed if i thought i was getting a mini and got a bike hmm I remeber him giving me an empty ring box to keep my wedding ring in when i take it off!!! I thought he'd got me a new ring but was totally gutted. Nice box tho - never used it out of sheer pissed offness!!!

posieflump Mon 25-Aug-08 19:59:03

now that is really crap - an empty ring box!!

Nigeela Mon 25-Aug-08 19:59:41

shock at the empty box.

eddiejo Mon 25-Aug-08 20:01:36

No - he put a lot of thought into the fact that i kept losing my ring and thought a ringbow would do the trick - derrrr (divvy icon)

eddiejo Mon 25-Aug-08 20:02:13

I meant ring box aarrgghh!

mrsleroyjethrogibbs Mon 25-Aug-08 20:04:26

i can equal that empty box.
Dh got me for my last christmas......wait for it....drum roll please...

4 rechargabel aa batteries.

I cried

eddiejo Mon 25-Aug-08 20:05:28

OMG shock cried - i'd have walked out!!!

mrsleroyjethrogibbs Mon 25-Aug-08 20:12:36

honestly i felt like it. He reckoned he was getting me something useful. I had to go into the bathroom and cry as I didnt want the children to see me.I wasnt expecting much. tbh a box of afer eights would have done it for me, but seriously...rechargable batteries??

However I have NOT let him live it down. He will not forget that christmas for sure.

mcfee Mon 25-Aug-08 20:15:37

what about 2 Jeremy Clarkson books and a vibrator?? That was my birthday present this year!! Not sure what the thought process was when he was buying them!!

eddiejo Mon 25-Aug-08 20:19:01

I thought I was hard done by.......

I'll never understand their thought procass. Do they really believe they are suitable presents or do you think they just don't think?

moondog Mon 25-Aug-08 20:23:23

Leroy and Mcfee, am......speechless!!!!

mcfee Mon 25-Aug-08 20:28:34

I am sure my DH will also be speechless next time he comes home after a few beers and finds me reading the books while using the other part of the gift. Might encourage him to think a bit more next time!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now