Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To expect a grown man to not be so TOTALLY rude to me in Tescos???

(37 Posts)
ILikeYourSleeves Mon 25-Aug-08 15:27:46

I was at Tescos this morning doing the weekly shop with DS (10 months). He was as good as gold and we were almost finished the shopping when I had to go and find one last item. As I walked down the aisle the man in front of me stopped walking but I didn't realise so I accidentally bumped into him with my trolley (very slowly ie half a mile an hour or something). He then turned round while I automatically said 'oh sorry I didn't realise you'd stopped moving' and he grabbed hold of the end of my trolley and PUSHED it into me so I had to stumble back about 3 steps!!!!! shock shock He then said 'you need to SLOW DOWN' as if I was running through the feckin store or something! I was so aghast and surprised by what he'd done that all I could do was hang my mouth open but no words came out. He just walked away and I felt myself well up I was that angry and surprised so I just went to the checkout instead of going after him in case I ended up blubbing in front of him and other shoppers. I was raging inside esp as he'd done that with DS in the trolley. Lo and behold he was at the next checkout to me while I was packing up and I kept looking at him, willing him to look up so I could ask why on earth he did that to me. I think he knew I was there (given DS was blowing rasperries very loudly) but he just scarpered. He was about mid 60's with a suit and was a pompous stuck up old wanker!!!

I really wish I had said something to him now. How do grown men think they can get away with acting like that? I'm sure as hell he wouldn't have done that if it was a man pushing the trolley either. I told DH and he said the prick should be thankful he wasn't there or he'd have been decked!

angry

cupsoftea Mon 25-Aug-08 15:33:01

once someone barged into my trolley really hard - they didn't say anything. A bit later into my shop I saw her bending down to get to a lower shelf so I rammed my trolley right into her backside - lol. I didn't say anything either.

3andnomore Mon 25-Aug-08 15:35:02

What a stupid A****e....!
Would have been good if you could have said something...but, I can totally understand why you didn't...I would be the same (and afterwards I would regrett that I didn't of course....sigh)

kt14 Mon 25-Aug-08 15:35:53

God, what a wanker. I would have done the same as you and then seethed about it for hours afterwards. I was once about to park in Tesco and saw a runaway trolley about to hit a fancy new Merc so I stopped and leapt out of the car to catch it. I'd just moved it temporarily next to the Merc so I could park my car which was completely blocking the road, and the snooty Merc owning woman then came back, stormed over to me and started abusing me for abandoning my trolley next to her car. I was so taken aback (as I knew i'd done her a favour) I didn't really answer her back. It still riles me now!

MaryAnnSingleton Mon 25-Aug-08 15:35:58

maybe you hurt him and he was a bit shocked ? [ trying to see the good in everyone emoticon]

misi Mon 25-Aug-08 15:36:12

pompous stuck up old wanker is a very good description. I hate people who do not look when they stop in an aisle in shops. when driving you look or should do when you need to stop so why not when walking?
as for pushing your trolley back into you and making you stumble, with a baby on board too, I should think of that as an assault (but I doubt it is), wish I had been there to say something to him!!

SoupDragon Mon 25-Aug-08 15:37:16

What a tw*t. And I mean you too cupsoftea .

cupsoftea Mon 25-Aug-08 15:38:47

lol soupdragon!! - it was the perfect opportunity!!

objectivity Mon 25-Aug-08 15:38:50

I would have shouted very loudly "OMG! Put your penis away you vile old man" and waited for everyone to turn and stare at him.

He assaulted you. Nasty individual.

OneBoyOneGirl Mon 25-Aug-08 15:40:30

What an idiot.

I probably would have done the opposite and gone absolutely ballistic at him and OTT as i often do when im pissed off, then regretted it later.

If he couldn't look at you at checkout he probably felt bad anyway - and so he should!

ilovemydog Mon 25-Aug-08 15:40:41

asshole. Believe in karma - if he was so rude to you, chances are he will do it again, and at some stage someone will snap...

herbietea Mon 25-Aug-08 15:41:03

Message withdrawn

alicet Mon 25-Aug-08 15:42:28

pmsl at objectivity!!! Will store that one away for the future grin

wotulookinat Mon 25-Aug-08 15:43:26

What a shame you didn't say anything at the time - that could be classed as assault as it was deliberate. For all he knew, you could have been pregnant. Shocking behaviour from a grown man. Hope you are ok.

alicet Mon 25-Aug-08 15:43:47

But op no YAclearlyNBU. He on the other hand is a pompous obnoxious unpleasant twat

MaryAnnSingleton Mon 25-Aug-08 15:49:40

not defending him but he could have just been reacting to being hurt by your trolley,after all he is old and shoved hisback without thinking..obviously he shouldn't have - and then perhaps he just felt bad afterwards and couldn't say anything..

MaryAnnSingleton Mon 25-Aug-08 15:50:07

am just trying to see the other side btw

whatdayisit Mon 25-Aug-08 15:59:05

His reaction was OTT, but it flippin' hurts when one of those trolleys catches you, even slowly. It was probably a shock reaction, which he was ashamed of, which is why he wouldn't meet your eye at the checkout. If you were moving and behind him, it surely was your responsibility to stop/be going slow enough/be paying enough attention that you could stop if he did. Who would have been in the wrong if it was a car accident for example?

YANBU to be shocked that he was so rude, but YABU if you expected him not to be annoyed.

elmoandella Mon 25-Aug-08 16:09:33

he was over reacting a bit.

but you shouldn't have run into him,and then blamed him for stopping. no wonder he was annoyed.

he's probably embaarassed he over reacted.

but why didn't you apologise as soon as you did it.

G2B Mon 25-Aug-08 16:10:44

That's awful. I would have started shouting 'HELP ME A MAN IS ATTACKING ME AND MY BABY HELP MEEEEEEEEEE. SECURITY.' See what he would have done then.

RustyBear Mon 25-Aug-08 16:13:36

I think she did apologise, elmo:
"He then turned round while I automatically said 'oh sorry I didn't realise you'd stopped moving' "

TheArmadillo Mon 25-Aug-08 16:15:55

adults should be able to control themselves enough not to ram a trolley into someone else, whether she apologised for bumping into him or not.

Horrible behaviour and unacceptable from an adult.

elmoandella Mon 25-Aug-08 16:26:58

i wouldn't see that as an apology. i'd see that as her blaming me for having the cheek to stop walking if i was the man.

but hey, dont wanna start a big arguement over it. just my opinion.

bonnibaby Mon 25-Aug-08 20:41:30

Silly fart!
It drives me mad when people do this,or even worse step backwards without looking and almost fall onto DS in his buggy.

bonnibaby Mon 25-Aug-08 20:41:33

Silly fart!
It drives me mad when people do this,or even worse step backwards without looking and almost fall onto DS in his buggy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now