Talk

Advanced search

to think that the local swimming pool is the perfect place to splash?

(44 Posts)
willthisdo Sun 24-Aug-08 16:30:40

took DD1 to the local pool this morning, she's always a little hesitant so we start in the shallows with some gentle splashing etc til she's warmed up a little.

A while later another girl (prob about 4?) was being repeatedly told by her mum to stop splashing. Was a little shock as surely that's what the pool is for? About 5 mins later a slightly older boy was given a warning then taken out of the pool by his dad for splashing him in the face.

Just felt a bit sad. If they can't splash in a swimming pool where can they?

willthisdo Sun 24-Aug-08 16:31:54

I should add that as far as I could see no third party was being distressed by the splashing!! Nor would I allow DD to splash if antone around was bothetred by it grin

AvenaLife Sun 24-Aug-08 16:32:26

ds's granny took him swimming last week, she told him off for splashing hmm.

SqueakyPop Sun 24-Aug-08 16:32:58

Splashing is fine; splashing people, when they have told you not to, is not.

nobodysfool Sun 24-Aug-08 16:33:19

They sound like really fun parents hmm

singyswife Sun 24-Aug-08 16:33:20

Some people are very strange arent they. Maybe they have a complete ban on splashing of all types???Cant see the problem myself.

PrettyCandles Sun 24-Aug-08 16:34:16

Mmmm, would need to know what came before, really. When our dcs overdo it on the splashing, we find we sometimes have to tell them to stop. A bit is fun, but too much is not. After all, they get so overexcited splashing, that they cannot always tell when the other person has had enough. I remember being the victim of my brother's splashing, I'd had enough but he wouldn't stop, he was too big and tough for me to have any hope of holding my own in a splashing competition, and I just wished someone would stop him for me!

ChairmumMiaow Sun 24-Aug-08 16:34:16

YANBU. Splashing is fun, so long as they know not to do it near other people unless they know they'll like it / not mind.

I get annoyed when kids splash too much near 7mo DS, but he gets horrid red eyes when he gets too much chlorine in them (though he quite likes being splashed grin). As you said, nobody was being bothered by it, so let them enjoy!

PrettyCandles Sun 24-Aug-08 16:35:57

BTW, how's this for weird: in America they ban breath-holding in swimming pools (at least, where we were). Huh?

SqueakyPop Sun 24-Aug-08 16:36:25

kudos to those parents for teaching their children how to behave in public, and that life is not one big free for all.

captainmummy Sun 24-Aug-08 16:38:39

When we were on holiday in july there was a fantastic swimming pool, with a lifeguard. He was a complete tosser, who sat in the shade and tutted if any of the kids ran past him splashing water on his lovely red shorts. I did wonder what he would do if he had to go in the pool to rescue anyone, he so obviously hated water.

AvenaLife Sun 24-Aug-08 16:38:56

Little splashing is fine as long as they stop when the other children ask them too. I hate to see splashing (big ones) for the sake of it though. And not around little ones. That's definatly not OK.

bogie Sun 24-Aug-08 16:44:25

Splashing is great but I always stop ds if he is splashing near someone who doesn't like to be splashed or any little children.

HonoriaGlossop Sun 24-Aug-08 17:12:04

Agree there needs to be a bit of thoughtfulness; if DS is near tiny children or babies I move him away so he can splash play freely.

willthisdo Sun 24-Aug-08 17:17:43

Ah can see other side now. DD1 is 2 and very timid in the water so for us splashing is pretty gentle and acompanied by much rubbing of face and eyes if any drops dare to land on her.

Guess I may discourage the splashing in the future when she's more energetic and fearless!

TBH not sure of the events preceeding the above incidents. Maybe it was tsraw that broke the camels back etc

bagofhammers Sun 24-Aug-08 17:52:11

I have told my ds off for splashing me in the face. I hate being splashed, esp when I've got my contacts in. He can splash his sister or his friends if everyone is compliant but not me. I don't see why I should be splashed in the face just because a 4yo wants to do it.

nooka Sun 24-Aug-08 17:59:59

I hate being splashed in the face, and my children know it. They would get told off if they persisted, and I might be tempted to haul them out if they went on. However they know how much I hate it, so I know it's always an accident if it happens. Still tell them off though! They are 9 and almost 8 though, so old enough to be sensible.

deepinlaundry Sun 24-Aug-08 18:01:33

I was swimming with my friend, my dcs and her ds. Her ds spent the whole time splashing other people in the face- particulary me. I asked him to stop and my friend said yes ds - stop- you're not allowed to have fun here! What the hell is fun about getting water splashed ( with toddler wee usually mixed in for good measure) into my contact lenses. It is not fun, it is inconsiderate and pointless. I am not talking about incidental splashing as dcs jumpimg about btw.

hercules1 Sun 24-Aug-08 18:05:01

I hate splashing and have worked hard to teach my children not to splash in the pool.

ShyBaby Sun 24-Aug-08 18:19:35

There's nothing wrong with splashing (says she who lets her kids jump in puddles) so long as it's not hitting anyone else!

Ds still cant swim very well and has always been really frightened of water on his face (just one on the list of things he's terrified of). It's not nice when you're trying to teach your child to swim and some other child is splashing water in their face, so they end up crying.

It may be a ridiculous fear to some but to ds its very real and not fun at all. My friend is terrified of balloons, as harmless as they are and so I would never pop one in her face. Its no different!

TheCrackFox Sun 24-Aug-08 18:24:03

I hate being splashed in the face and I also don't want my hair to get too wet.

ipodtherforipoor Sun 24-Aug-08 18:24:04

prettyCandles - thats no so weird - I nearly had a heart attack in Butlins pool on the rapids. A kid was floating past me face down, and didn't respond when I tapped his arm. I actually got as far as pulling him up by the arms before he laughed and said he was playing holding his breath! scared me shitless and made me so angry all at once

christywhisty Sun 24-Aug-08 18:43:01

It depends who they are splashing, splashing other kids who are clearly enjoying it and splash back is fine. Splashing people who don't like it is not okay.

pointydog Sun 24-Aug-08 18:54:49

Chlorine - it BURNS, it BURNS! My eeyyyees

pointydog Sun 24-Aug-08 18:55:21

It's bad enough going into a swimming pool without the indignity of being splashed

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now