Talk

Advanced search

to be shocked about my mum and dads neighbour?

(24 Posts)
ElfOnTheTopShelf Sat 23-Aug-08 19:41:14

A while ago, my mum and dad's next door neighbours windows were smashed, all the ones at the front of the house was smashed in.
Nobody understood why, the neighbour is in his 70's, and my dad, who had been having trouble with with my aunts new boyfriend (long story which I wont go into!) assumed that it was his windows that were meant to have been smashed, and they'd smashed the neighbours in error.
Anyway, it has come to light in the past week that he has been arrested for molesting young girls. My parents dont know the details (such as when this was supposed to have taken place, how many involved) but I'm shock
He's been their neighbour since they moved in in the early 80's

ElfOnTheTopShelf Sat 23-Aug-08 19:41:55

by the way, I realise this may be a false accusation and innocent until proven otherwise but still feeling a little shocked!

SlartyBartFast Sat 23-Aug-08 19:45:18

shock

pamelat Sat 23-Aug-08 19:54:43

Gosh, dont really know what to say.
Clearly not unreasonable to be shocked!
I hope its wrong, there are some vindictive people out there.
Thing is, even if he is now cleared, I would imagine that you (and I) would not feel comfortable with him around our children.
The world can be a very sad place sad
Hope its not true ....

Onestonetogo Sat 23-Aug-08 20:10:45

Message withdrawn

ElfOnTheTopShelf Sat 23-Aug-08 20:15:31

I know innocent until proven guilty. I missed that off my first post but did add it.
True or not, still shocked today when my mum told me!

Thomcat Sat 23-Aug-08 20:16:51

How has this 'come to light'????????

Thomcat Sat 23-Aug-08 20:18:27

True or not - you're still shocked?

ElfOnTheTopShelf Sat 23-Aug-08 20:19:23

well, small villiage, gossip spreads slowly but gets around.
afaik, supposed to be going to court shortly

ElfOnTheTopShelf Sat 23-Aug-08 20:20:35

still shocked? I only found out over tea tonight.

Thomcat Sat 23-Aug-08 20:22:28

Exactly - GOSSIP spreads quickly.

You haven't actually found out anything yet so what's to be shocked by unless you've got him down as guilty already?

ElfOnTheTopShelf Sat 23-Aug-08 20:23:53

I'm shocked at the situation whether true or not.
shocked if it turns out to be true, and shocked that an accusation like this has happened if it turns out to be false
iyswim.

KerryMum Sat 23-Aug-08 20:23:57

well my first question would be have your children ever been in unsupervised contact with this person?

ElfOnTheTopShelf Sat 23-Aug-08 20:25:49

No. He keeps himself to himself in the house and dd is only 2, spends time in my mum and dads garden but not un-supervised.
Not bothered on that front.

Dropdeadfred Sat 23-Aug-08 20:27:29

can't someone be shocked about the possibility without being hmm'ed at?

ShyBaby Sat 23-Aug-08 20:31:10

Only takes one person to start a rumour. Innocent until proven guilty?

Thomcat Sat 23-Aug-08 20:31:35

Yes you can be shocked at the possibility, of course, but I very much felt the OP had him down as guilty and it made me feel uncomfortable.

Dropdeadfred Sat 23-Aug-08 20:32:31

But the OP said she was shocked, shocked at the fact that he has been accused - not shocked at the fct that he is guilty.. are you all seriously sayig you wouldn't be shocked if someone you knew was acused?

ElfOnTheTopShelf Sat 23-Aug-08 20:33:06

i'm going home now (still at my mums) so not running off, will check back later tonight / tomorrow morning.

Thomcat Sat 23-Aug-08 20:35:13

She hasn't actually said "I'm shocked he was accused' tbh, but anyway.... I, that's me got the feeling he was already guilty from the posts and I felt uncomfortable with that.

ElfOnTheTopShelf Sat 23-Aug-08 20:35:24

I'd be very surprised if he were guilty, as I said, he's in his 70's and as far as I know, rarely leaves the house. Unless this is an accusation that dates back years.

You read in the paper about people being accused and it either being proved or not, but you never expect them to be your parents elderly next door neighbour.

I think I maybe posted slighlty inelegantly in the opening post - it wasn't supposed to be 'gosh, my parents neighbour is a peado' type post, just that I am surprised at what is happening.

SqueakyPop Sat 23-Aug-08 20:39:46

Of course it's shocking

Onestonetogo Sat 23-Aug-08 20:42:39

Message withdrawn

ShyBaby Sat 23-Aug-08 20:47:04

I wouldnt be shocked at anyone being accused now actually. You cant even take a photo of your own kids in public without someone screaming you're a pervert. (Happened to a dad I know when someone elses kids were in the background).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now