Talk

Advanced search

To keep the whole amount refunded by a shop, which is too much

(11 Posts)
FlightAttendent Sat 23-Aug-08 16:53:39

I'm not sure. At the moment I am verging on the thought that it would be way too much hassle to try and give it back.

I bought two pairs of shoes from an internet shop, not a very big one but they have a shop in Camden.

I sent back one of the pairs, as it was a very blokey shoe and I didn't like it - they stated refunds would be given, I didn't expect the postage or anything.

Anyway about a week later I emailed asking if they'd had them back - sent recorded at my cost - and had a polite email saying, yes, they had got them and were sorry it had taken so long to refund, was usually quicker and their manager had been off sick. They said it would be done asap.

I emailed again a few days later - nothing had been done - again a polite apology offering me 10% off my next purchase.
And another promise it'd be completed that day.

A few more days - nothing, again I asked politely, they said, they couldn't find the transaction id in paypal, so I sent them it.
Again they said, it'll be done this morning...it wasn't. I started to email every day asking what the problem was, had a couple more replies like above and decided to open a dispute as they weren't really doing anything (it was only about £39)

So today finally they refunded me - but they have refunded the total for both pairs, which is £80. I feel a bit bad about this but am hesitant to send them the other £41 back as I don't know if they are aware of having refunded too much, are doing it as a gesture of goodwill, or would even care (duff argument I know - ignore that last one)

What would you do?

FlightAttendent Sat 23-Aug-08 16:55:39

Btw I suppose I could send them the other pair of shoes instead - I hate them too after a week of humming and harring!

Mind you the address was tricky, the chap in the P.O. couldn't even find it...

beansmum Sat 23-Aug-08 16:58:22

I would email and say thanks for refunding the total amount of the transaction, as an apology for all the delays it is much appreciated. They can ask for it back if they are bothered.

LittleMyDancingForJoy Sat 23-Aug-08 16:58:54

I'd probably email them and mention it - sounds like they're so disorganised they'll probably just tell you to keep it!

bubblagirl Sat 23-Aug-08 16:59:39

i'm not sure what you should do i know my conscience wouldnt let me keep it but thats up to you you could send them an e mail explaining and if they dont get back to you then keep it

FlightAttendent Sat 23-Aug-08 16:59:46

Thanks, I will email them

I wasn't sure but that sounds Ok.

FlightAttendent Sat 23-Aug-08 17:01:49

Mind you surely they know which shoes they were, if they have told me they've got them - and they must know that those shoes weren't £80?

hmm

WideWebWitch Sat 23-Aug-08 17:03:43

I wouldn't do anything on the basis that:

a) it had already cost me time and effort to get my refund and were I to bill them they'd probably still owe me money etc
b) I wouldn't get around to it
c) I couldn't be arsed
d) their fault, they need to put it right

So I'd either do nothing or send an email like beansmum says. Bet some dopey girlie opens it and goes 'yeah, right, ok I don't need to do anything then' and then you're absolved.

piratecat Sat 23-Aug-08 17:09:33

grin

i would take a good friend out for a few drinks.

Saturn74 Sat 23-Aug-08 17:15:23

The little angel on my left shoulder would say send them the extra money back via paypal, or give the money to charity.

The little devil on my right shoulder would say splash the whole lot on chocolate and vodka.

I would probably negotiate it down to half the money to charity, half on chocolate and vodka. grin

kitsmummy Sat 23-Aug-08 18:57:47

I'd keep it and be v chuffed grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now