Talk

Advanced search

to be hacked off with my friend?

(21 Posts)
pucca Sat 23-Aug-08 15:53:25

This is the 2nd time my dd has caught headlice from her son, they are good friends and start school together in a couple of weeks, my dd doesn't mix with many children at all and i know she has definately got them from him, we haven't been anywhere else tbh, well no where she would have touched heads.

She caught them from him before when she was only 2yrs old, she didn't go to nursery or anything so was definately from my friends son, i have been to her house a few times lately and noticed she had a nit comb out on the top, so i asked her if any of them had lice and she said no, next thing dd has them again.

She has admitted to me that her dd who is 10yrs old comes home with them all the time, and she doesn't bother doing anything as she only catches them again.

I know kids catch lice all the time, but i don't think i am unreasonable in the fact i think she should treat her kids! angry

pucca Sat 23-Aug-08 15:55:11

It is just such a PITA and i have a suspicious feeling i have them as my head is well itchy, i have thick naturally curly hair so looks like i am in for fun later going through it with the nit comb!

I have already been the chemist and bought some treatment for dd, ds seems clear although its very hard to look properly with him only being 2 and a major fidgit!

Earlybird Sat 23-Aug-08 15:56:18

I'd be unhappy too.

If your friend won't deal with the lice, maybe she should consider shaving her son's head? Lots of boys have that 'style' by choice, and I'm almost positive that will get rid of the nits.

pucca Sat 23-Aug-08 15:57:43

I think its more about her dd who is 10 and has bum length hair, his hair is already shortish.

StormInanEcup Sat 23-Aug-08 15:59:50

Message withdrawn

pucca Sat 23-Aug-08 16:00:35

She said to me she used to treat them, but now she just doesn't bother as they end up back again anyway.

Earlybird Sat 23-Aug-08 16:02:39

If your friend won't do anything about the lice, then perhaps you need to make your dd put her hair up, and wear a hat whenever she's with that family?

Have also heard there is a spray that will 'discourage' nits from going onto a child's head. Think the main ingredient is either mint, or tea tree oil.

foxythesnowfox Sat 23-Aug-08 16:02:45

eww, thats horrible. Leaving her kids infested.

Its one thing kids getting them (mine do) its another not treating them.

I find the best treatment is Alberto Balsam Tea Tree conditioner and a nitty gritty comb (go through with a normal nit comb first to make it easier). Much cheaper than treatments and just as effective. You could do it weekly or after each playdate.

When they get to school the teachers may well check them, and the parents will be told. Hopefully that'll give her the incentive to get rid of the nits.

my head's itchy now!

juuule Sat 23-Aug-08 16:07:04

Why do you think she doesn't do anything about her dd hair?
Does she have a nit comb in the house just as an ornament? Or just use it on her ds?
Can you see lice crawling on her dd? If she's had them for a while and nothing is ever done then I'd have thought they'd be quite noticeable.

If your dd is at nursery she could have picked them up from anyone in her class.

If you are convinced it's your friend's children that are passing nits on to your children then I think your choices are: Don't let your children have any contact with hers or let them have contact but regularly treat your children or tell her what you suspect.

pucca Sat 23-Aug-08 16:08:27

I know its horrible, got about 6 lice out of dds hair and a lot of eggs as i combed through with tea tree conditioner, going to put the lotion stuff on tonight just to make sure, then will keep combng it every few days...

Got to check mine though <sob>

StormInanEcup Sat 23-Aug-08 16:09:18

Message withdrawn

pucca Sat 23-Aug-08 16:10:33

She has told me she thinks there is no point doing anything.

My dd didn't go to nursery when she was 2 is what i was saying, she didn't see any other kids except this little boy, yes dd is in preschool now but i regularly check her hair everytime i bath her and only just found them. Plus she broke up from pre school like at least 3 weeks ago.

foxythesnowfox Sat 23-Aug-08 16:10:57

I like to gather them up on side of the sink, then we get DSs bug-magnifier thingy and have a good look.

Is that a bit gross? blush

pucca Sat 23-Aug-08 16:12:12

Foxy...I must admit i get a sick satisfaction from looking at them then squashing them! there was one the size of a money spider it was huge!

giraffescantdancethetango Sat 23-Aug-08 16:15:55

i feel all itchy now.

yanbu

lardybump Sat 23-Aug-08 16:19:47

YANBU if you asked and she said no then she lied....

I have an electric nit comb it zaps the buggers....

BitOfFun Sat 23-Aug-08 16:22:15

I have tried everything too after having this problem a few times. Like you, I have thick curly hair so I dread getting them too! From what I have read, parents who, with the best will in the world, go the "traditional herbal route" with tea tree oil, neem etc may not be helping, as studies have shown it's not that effective - sorry if that upsets anyone, just what I read!

The treatment that works all the time, is not chemical, and lice can't develop immunity to is called Hedrin if I remember rightly. It works by suffocating the lice in silicone, and needs to be repeated a week later. Advantage is also that the combing isn't a vital part of the treatment, so you and I can just wash the dead ones out without pulling all the hair out of our scalps!

Hope this helps, and that you can have a chat to your friend agin and recommend it to her - perhaps help her flag the problem up at her daughter's school too? smile

PookiePodgeandTubs Sat 23-Aug-08 16:22:59

Neem oil. Never heard of that, tell me more?

lauraloola Sat 23-Aug-08 17:28:52

Her poor children. It must be awful for them to have nits all the time and must drive them mad itching.

I worked in a nursery and got them a few times - It was horrible. I started washing my hair in tea tree oil shampoo and conditioner and never got them again.

StormInanEcup Sun 24-Aug-08 00:22:09

Message withdrawn

silvercrown Fri 29-Aug-08 17:41:24

Nitty Gritty do a good repellent spray with need oil in and they do a natural head lice removal lotion. I can't believe that she could let her children constantly suffer headlice. They'll be scratching their heads raw poor things. My dd2 has just got rid of them and she's 9 - only had them twice in her life so I do think the repellent sprays help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now