Talk

Advanced search

Not to want to add an aquaintance I have zero contact with to Facebook

(13 Posts)
ShinyPinkShoes Sat 23-Aug-08 10:18:38

There's someone I have known in the vaguest sense of the word for years now....she is a friend of my sisters.

I have never been friends with her, to be honest we don't have anything in common with her at all. Her friends and family are (how can I put this) a little scary quite frankly hmm so as a result I have ignored her friend request on facebook.

I don't really like the idea of all and sundry seeing my full profile. Don't mind my friends seeing it at all.

And what message do people get-if any in fact- when you 'ignore' a request from them'?
I ignored her request last night only for another to be sent this morning!

So....am I being unreasonable not to want to add her?

My sister (who is not on Facebook by the way) clearly thinks I am)

DaisySteiner Sat 23-Aug-08 10:20:53

No, YANBU. I got a friend request from an ex-boyf - we had a very nasty split and I wanted nothing more than to tell him to Fark off. But I'm a chicken and accepted the request and now have to see his gurning mug every time I log on angry

collision Sat 23-Aug-08 10:22:45

YANBU my DB's SIL asked me to be her friend hmm and promptly put up pictures of me and my family! angry

Am still not sure how to deal with it! as is it rude to ignore them? not sure of FB etiquette!

crazymummy84 Sat 23-Aug-08 10:28:17

As far as I know, they wont get any message, although they will realise that they are not on your friend list still, but that could be just because you don't use the account as far as they are concerned.

Umlellala Sat 23-Aug-08 10:32:02

Daisy, you need to remove him as a friend. I tend to accept Friend Requests from people i sorta know then remove a month or so later, it doesn'tr actually tell your ex-boyf that you have removed him so he propb wouldnt notice anyway- if he did, you could blame it on fb glitches...

You can also change the privacy settings so some people can only see your limited profile. I have added my dad for example hmm but he can't read my wall...

JDBfangirl Sat 23-Aug-08 10:34:17

I'd just reject it. I've had some one try to friend me three times. I think he has 'facebook amnesia' as we had a major falling out 7 years ago. He may have forgotten but I haven't.

ShinyPinkShoes Sat 23-Aug-08 10:35:28

Ahhhh so I could add her with a limited profile. Hmmmm that's an idea I suppose.

Thanks everyone-I don't feel so mean now

PinkyDinkyDooToo Sat 23-Aug-08 11:17:03

I have decided only to add people I would actually want to talk to. I see no reason to add someone I vaguely knew years ago so they can see all about my life. They mostly do it cos they are a) nosy and b) trying to make themselves look popular by having huge numbers of friends

warthog Sat 23-Aug-08 11:53:18

i have a limited friends list that can see hardly anything and stick all the aquaintances on there.

i think you can also block someone, so that if they try and search for you, absolutely no sign of you comes up. i don't think it blocks absolutely everything but probably enough so that if they do an idle search, they'll think you've left facebook.

ShinyPinkShoes Sat 23-Aug-08 12:02:33

I can't find the option for them to see a limited profile- can anyone help?

JDBfangirl Sat 23-Aug-08 13:05:07

It usually asks you when you add them as a friend, you usually have a box to tick etc

makeminealargeoneplease Sat 23-Aug-08 13:06:06

Yes go to settings and then privacy settings, you can add the name of all the friends that you don't want to see your whole profile just your limited profile, and you can limit it as much/as little as you like. Very handy for these kinds of situations really!

AbbaFan Sat 23-Aug-08 13:13:33

I would ignore it, they won't get a message to say it has been rejected. Like someone else said, you just wont be added to their friend list.

TBH some people just want hundreds of friends so will ask all and sundry to be thier 'FB friend'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now