Talk

Advanced search

another parking related thread

(19 Posts)
mayorquimby Fri 22-Aug-08 12:39:47

sorry i know some people hate parking/car threads (even though they still open them just to tell us how pointless they are).

so anyway was in town (just beside the setanta car parkby trinity for any dubliners on here.) and was looking for a pay&display spot on the street as it's so much cheaper than a car park and i only needed it for 15-20 minutes rather than pay a full hour.
eventually i spot one and there's 3 women standing on the path/just off the road in the space chatting and one on a mobile,who she was calling became obvious later on.
it was the last one on the rod before yellow lines so i pulled up past it so i could jus reverse straight in slowly and the women would see me coming head on and no mishaps would happen.
anyway when reversing in slowly one of the women shouted "excuse me" a couple of times and came and knocked on my window.
i rolled it down and she said "we're saving this space our car, someones coming with it now."

so the question is, was i being unreasonable to look at her shocked and ask "are you taking the mick?this is a public road?" before keeping my car there until they moved off the road and reversing into the space and just walking past their muttering and complaints without engagin them further?

is this a normal practice?where by people stand in available spaces and reserve them for cars? this feels a bit like the restaurant table thread.

Tortington Fri 22-Aug-08 12:41:02

good for you i wouldnt of had the balls

Pan Fri 22-Aug-08 12:43:33

Bollocks to them. Good for you.

pollyblue Fri 22-Aug-08 12:44:28

They're mad smile You can't reserve a stretch of tarmac.

mayorquimby Fri 22-Aug-08 12:48:12

excellent, people agreeing with me.
i thought there was a chance that this was normal, like holding a seat in the cinema for a friend or something.
couldn't believe the cheek on them though. tbh i think they may have expected me to bac down because i was younger, but i had to weih up my respect for elders vs distatse for people who take librties.

mumfor1standmaybe2ndtime Fri 22-Aug-08 12:48:42

I would have kept reversing. You had a car, they had their legs, simple.
You can't stand in a space to reserve it, I should imagine the only person able to do this would be the Queen grin

Good for you!

VinegarTits Fri 22-Aug-08 12:49:20

YANBU cheeky cow! i would have done the same as you, some people are just nutters

WideWebWitch Fri 22-Aug-08 12:50:13

She was being unreasonable, you can't SAVE car parking spaces. Stupid mare. So you were right to park there imo.

muminthecity Fri 22-Aug-08 12:51:50

Good on you, I probably would've been polite, let them have the space then slagged them off later. I'm such a soft touch, wish I had your balls.

TheSmallClanger Fri 22-Aug-08 12:53:26

No, YANBU. They were being cheeky mares.

bluefox Fri 22-Aug-08 12:55:22

YANBU. A similar thing happened to me. At Metrocentre at busy times it is usual for cars to just wait in one of the rows until a space becomes available, which is what I was doing. A couple leave the shops and walk towards their car in my row - however at end of row they tell the driver of another car (which was driving around looking for a space) to follow them so that she could have 'their'space. I indicated to enter the space and was subjected to a tirade of abuse from the woman in the other car (I was called a stupid cow - it was HER space as it had been 'promised' to her etc etc). I was having none of it and got the space and she drove off in a hell of a temper. However the incident shook me up and I rang DH who insisted I move the car anyway just in case this moronic woman came back and damaged it!

nippersnappers Fri 22-Aug-08 12:58:46

No, YANBU.

This happened to me when trying to park in Edinburgh.

About 4-5 guys started shouting and yelling at me while I was parking.

I just parked up and went and fed the meter.

Another car pulled up behind mine, obv the car they were trying to keep the space for and the driver ran up to me and started screaming in my face shock

I just walked off with my head held high.

I was shaking inside though grin

mayorquimby Fri 22-Aug-08 13:07:39

"About 4-5 guys started shouting and yelling at me while I was parking.

I just parked up and went and fed the meter.

Another car pulled up behind mine, obv the car they were trying to keep the space for and the driver ran up to me and started screaming in my face

I just walked off with my head held high.
"

fair play to you.
i was probably only so brave because i'm a young enough guy and they we're 40 year old women.
don't know if my principles would have been so stingent if it had been 5 guys who obviously don't ind being agressive in public.

nippersnappers Fri 22-Aug-08 13:13:07

I'm a geordie MQ we have the hides of hippos grin

also they didn't seem to speak English so I couldn't understand what they were saying, or rather screaming, to be honest with you.

They were NOT happy bunnies though, I know that much wink

The idea of anyone booking a parking space is just rediculous though, cheeky buggers.

wotulookinat Fri 22-Aug-08 13:14:51

YANBU well done you for standing your ground!

laweaselmys Fri 22-Aug-08 14:01:05

YANBU... unless it was a residential street and they were moving house. But surely that would've been easy enough to say!!

giraffescantdancethetango Fri 22-Aug-08 14:02:13

yanbu

MsHighwater Fri 22-Aug-08 16:47:29

YANBU. There was a case a few years ago in Glasgow where a woman tried to reserve a parking space for her husband in this way (big car park). When another couple arrived in their car and made to turn into the space an argument ensued, it got physical and the woman from the car collapsed and died. The other woman ended up going to prison (GBH or something like it).

sarah293 Fri 22-Aug-08 16:50:00

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now