Talk

Advanced search

To consider Mr & Mrs Large (aka Jill Murphy) a bit outdated, old fashioned and down right boring

(9 Posts)
roseability Fri 22-Aug-08 10:32:13

My DS loves these stories

BUT

Mr Large comes in from work collapses on the sofa and does nothing because he is tired hmm

He 'kindly' does the children's breakfast because Mrs Large is poorly. So when the man does these chores it is out of kindness hmm

Mrs Large has a poor body image because a fat elephant couldn't possibly be happy with their figure

and so on....

Fimbo Fri 22-Aug-08 10:33:55

I work in a playgroup and the children love the story when Mrs Large is poorly. I hate it and you have just reminded me to lodge it at the back of the book cupboard when I go back in September. smile

giraffescantdancethetango Fri 22-Aug-08 10:35:46

I dont like the one where Mrs L decides they are all fat so she puts them on an extreem diet and exercise programme. Then they all end up binge eating on the cake.

SlartyBartFast Fri 22-Aug-08 10:36:03

i dont know the one where she is poorly, but their night out one always rings true with me, once a year grin
i like them as did dc's, and i always read them changing their names to my dc's blush

TheCrackFox Fri 22-Aug-08 10:37:46

I didn't like the one where Mrs Large was feeling fat but I love "5 Minutes Peace". I completely relate to that one.

elkiedee Fri 22-Aug-08 10:38:22

I do like the books and find them quite witty, but I do agree that the roles of the parents are a bit sexist/gender-stereotyped.

Umlellala Fri 22-Aug-08 10:41:59

Oh me too! I loathe them - and the crappy tv prog.

But I LOVE On the Way Home by the same author.

snowleopard Fri 22-Aug-08 10:43:36

I HATE 5 minutes' peace. Awful message to give your kids I think. I haven't read any others but I'm not warming to them!

sagacious Fri 22-Aug-08 10:43:47

The diet/cake one was in our dr's waiting room, I was a bit suprised TBH its not really "on message" is it!

Though dc's love them and chortled at them all hiding under the table.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now