Talk

Advanced search

to think DH might take some time off over the school holidays to spend time with his children and give me a break?

(8 Posts)
DrZeus Fri 22-Aug-08 08:51:13

I'm abit fed up and tired today - so small rant required - here goes. Currently SAHM, but about to start job in September.

DH has not taken any time off over the school holidays apart from 5 days to go camping (which coincided with a weekend where he was working on his hobby). And he was working abroad the first week of the holidays anyway. He's taking a day off to do something with a mate next Wednesday too.......

I've taken them up to London, train rides, indoor soft play, play dates with school buddies, National Trust properties, the cinema, various local events and kept them entertained. Been to buy school shoes and started getting stuff ready for the new school year too. The house looks a mess as I seem to be permanently knackered being the entertainment manager that I've taken my eye off the ball, so to speak.

There is about a week and a half left. I could do with a break (without the kids) for a hour or two to do some stuff FOR ME (like preparing for my job)! Am I being unreasonable?

Rant over, stepped away from the keyboard and taking deep breaths. Off out now.

oops Fri 22-Aug-08 08:56:02

Message withdrawn

feedmenow Fri 22-Aug-08 08:59:08

I don't see why you shouldn't have a little "me" time. If he can manage a day off work to do something with his friend then he should be able to manage a day off to do something with his children too!

Just tell him, he has to look after the children for the day because YOU are taking a day off to do something with your friend...

bubblagirl Fri 22-Aug-08 09:00:47

my dp has only had 4 days off this summer and thats also in last 2 years so i dont get much of a break but then i also understand how important it is to him to work as if his off the good jobs to go to the others and to be on them jobs gives us more money but still i would like more family time

but have given up moaning as at present im unable to work ds has ASD and struggle to find helpers so i can see he feels pressure is on him

but when he has days off i get to go out and unwind with friends just havent had a lay in in last 3 yrs never mind a comprimise must be made somewhere i let him sleep as he works such long hours and i go out he rarely does

VictorianSqualor Fri 22-Aug-08 09:07:54

YANBU, IMO annual leave should be used for family holidays/childcare and then days off out with friends.

DP used all of his annual leave last year for either antenatal appointments/childcare after DS2 was born and we were still in hospital and his different interviews/tests etc he had to attend for his new job.

DrZeus Fri 22-Aug-08 12:03:45

Got loads of annual leave left sad. Also going to be away for work a lot between now and year end. sad

I know going away for work isn't a holiday, but I really do feel like a single parent sometime.

pollyblue Fri 22-Aug-08 12:41:19

Dh and I have an arrangement, if he has a day or weekend away, I get the same amount of time to myself too. He's self-employed and very busy but even if work means i have to 'book' my day off some time in advance, he sticks to it.

I think you need to talk to him about this because once you start work he's going to need to pitch in more. And if he has time to do his 'thing' it's only fair you get time to do yours.

2point4kids Fri 22-Aug-08 12:43:33

Have you asked him? IMo if you wait till he offers, he will nevre think of it.
Can you just say to him that you desperately need a day to prepare for your job in the next couple of weeks and when is a good day for him to take some holiday from work?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now