Talk

Advanced search

to ban my mother bringing any toys for my daughters tomorrow as they have been pains in the ARSE all week and do not deserve the fluff from under the sofa?

(26 Posts)
TheFifthApe Thu 21-Aug-08 21:18:52

I think they need to go to school

boredom has set in big time, whole house sick of the sight of each other

behaviour A DISGRACE

tv, treats etc banned as of yesterday

mum told not to bring usual back of stuff on her weekly visit, sounded a bit miffed

but I am in charge so pfffffff smile

so AIBU to ban their usual bag of goodies from granny?

LittleMyDancingForJoy Thu 21-Aug-08 21:34:17

you're their mum, if you think they don't deserve them then that's final.

but maybe granny could bring the bag and you could stash it away for another day, if/when their behaviour improves?

pointydog Thu 21-Aug-08 21:34:19

Your relationship with your dc is going through a routine rough patch, but that has nothing to do with your mum's relationship with them.

I think YABU.

sleepycat Thu 21-Aug-08 21:35:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ThatBigGermanPrison Thu 21-Aug-08 21:36:08

How is banning tv, treats and toys conducive to a lack of BOREDOM, which you say yourself is the reason for this misbehavior?

Starbear Thu 21-Aug-08 21:38:33

That's nothing DH is driving me up the wall, as soon as he goes back to school he can have his treats too!!! I bet granny will agree with you. Tell them to sit down with Granny and let her tell them stories of being smacked and doing horrible chores. And you go out for coffee and a newpaper.

TheFifthApe Thu 21-Aug-08 21:39:31

they are getting far too many treats imo and I fear them getting spoilt

yesterday their behaviour was dreadful so I banned tv and today it was slightly improved

our house is a sea of toys so they can't be bored as they can play with the ones they already have

LittleMyDancingForJoy Thu 21-Aug-08 21:53:27

I'm with you FifthApe, sounds like they need to realise that things they expect (like Granny's toys) can be taken away if they behave badly.

lojoesmammy Thu 21-Aug-08 21:58:23

My supervisor at work tells her children that, 'only boring people get bored!' which makes sense to me.

Starbear Thu 21-Aug-08 22:04:06

I've banned TV and it works. If they are old enough could they sort out their toys into ones that are broken, give away or keep.
Could they help you out with the chores super fast so you could all go out. make it a race. just an ideagrin

nell12 Thu 21-Aug-08 22:09:00

YANBU; if their behaviour is unreasonable, then they should not get treats.

However if they are misbehaving because they are bored, then surely you know exactly how to solve the problem. Take them out, encourage them to play together, give them jobs to do. Then they will not be bored, will behave better and treats can be reinstated.

Have you ever looked through your dvd/cd collection and not found a thing you wanted to watch/ listen to? How about flicking through the zillions of tv channels we get these days and not find a thing that you want to watch? Well thats how your dcs feel about their toys (however many they have.)

Encourage them to do something different.

pointydog Thu 21-Aug-08 23:27:43

But granny doesn't want to punish them. Granny has been getting on with them just fine.

lisad123 Thu 21-Aug-08 23:42:13

why not start a fresh every morning rather than keep punishing them, just that they have nothing left to lose maybe get your mum to bring them and they bribe then wink

Starbear Thu 21-Aug-08 23:44:01

Pointydog, That's not the point ha ha. They are not behaving. Adult have to show a united front. When they are 18 they can go and have fun with Granny while treating their own home like a hotel. Right now they need to behave, before they send their Mother (Granny's daughter) around the bend.
My sister would have gone nuts at me if I gave my nephew a treat after they misbehaved.
Now nephew is 21 years old and treating Granny's house like a hotel ha ha!

pointydog Thu 21-Aug-08 23:46:01

I staND BY my opinion. And I'm right

Starbear Thu 21-Aug-08 23:51:31

Sorry pointydog, Don't want to send anybody to bed mad. This weather has made me a bit cross. I want to plan next years summer hols now as this one is sooooo crap. I'm bored and have been misbehaving and having been giving myself treats of cake and choc now I'm even more cross because I'm fat and my DH won't shag me.

JayneF Fri 22-Aug-08 00:01:51

Starbearjust hit on the reason why I stay fat...wink

Shoegazer Fri 22-Aug-08 10:03:26

I think YABU, I don't think you should give them treats if you think they do not deserve them. I agree with pointydog, Grannies are not to used a punishment.

pointydog Fri 22-Aug-08 16:52:29

Don't apologise, bear. I wasn't cross at all.

oi Fri 22-Aug-08 16:54:38

I agree with the dog. The pointy one.

pointydog Fri 22-Aug-08 21:01:33

are you a mane changer, oi?

pointydog Fri 22-Aug-08 21:01:53

or even a name changer?

scottishmummy Fri 22-Aug-08 21:13:46

it is ypur responsibility to sort out your bored dc.not MIL problem so she shouldn't be denied giving gifts

oi Sat 23-Aug-08 09:50:48

yes it's me foxinsocks. I came back after being away for a bit and the place was overrun with foxes. I'm sort of yearning for my old name a bit now though.

pointydog Sat 23-Aug-08 22:56:09

fux, fox! Namechanging is very irritating, you know.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now