Talk

Advanced search

To send my almost 3 year old away for a week?

(19 Posts)
muminthecity Thu 21-Aug-08 21:15:42

My parents have booked a cottage in Devon for a week next month and want to take my dd away with them. I've got to give a definite answer soon. Originally they offered us both to go but I can't get time off work so they said they'd take dd. Dd adores her grandparents and spends 3 days a week with them at the moment while I'm at work, so I know she'd be ok, and it would be a nice break for me. On the other hand she's never been away from me for more than one night before and I'm worried that she'll miss me and get upset or, God forbid, something might happen to her and I won't be there.

At the moment I'm leaning towards saying yes, AIBU?

pollyblue Thu 21-Aug-08 21:23:17

How far away is Devon from you? If there was an emergency or your dd wanted to come home quickly, would that be possible?
As she spends 3 days a week with them, in your shoes i would be tempted to say yes, let her go. Maybe agree a contingency plan with your parents for any possible emergency to put your mind at rest.

UniversallyChallenged Thu 21-Aug-08 21:24:40

YABU - but only cos Im dead jealous envy

No really, they will have a ball - and if something goes wrong you can be there within a few hours surely.

Enjoy a guilt free break and lucky you having such lovely parents!

Romy7 Thu 21-Aug-08 21:24:57

bye dd! have a lovely time! send mummy a postcard! mwah xx

muminthecity Thu 21-Aug-08 21:25:32

It's about 4 hours on the train I think, and I don't drive, which is what's putting me off a bit. In the event of an emergency it would take me a minimum of 4 hours to get to her

rookiemater Thu 21-Aug-08 21:26:51

It's lovely that they want to take your DD, as she already spends time with them I'm sure she will be fine.

muminthecity Thu 21-Aug-08 21:27:14

grin Romy, we x posted, that was my first thought if I'm honest

MissisBoot Thu 21-Aug-08 21:27:39

Send her - she'd love it and like you say she spends lots of time with them anyway.

Is there any way you could go and join them for the weekend to ease any guilt?

biglips Thu 21-Aug-08 21:28:24

i think that would be abit iffy for me if you dont drive and it will take you 4 hours to get to her. i wouldnt be able to relax but your DD might have a whale of a time.

biglips Thu 21-Aug-08 21:29:13

if you only work 3 days a week...why cant you meet up with them later?

spudballoo Thu 21-Aug-08 21:29:31

Definitely send her. She'll LOVE it! And you'll start a lovely tradition of holidays with granny and grandad. I know it's v easy to be so anxious about the 'what ifs' but remember the 'what if nots' are much more likely!

medogsarebarking Thu 21-Aug-08 21:29:41

My DD (3) is off with her grandparents for a week in November. I'm feeling a (tiny )bit guilty but I reckon she'll have a brilliant time.

As long as you're able to get there fairly soon in the event of an emergency, and your mum and dad promise to keep their phones topped up with credit so you can keep in touch I say go for it and enjoy your time off - I bet she will!

muminthecity Thu 21-Aug-08 21:39:08

Biglips - I work full time, my parents have dd 3 days, she goes to nursery the other 2. They are going Saturday to Saturday, I have looked at all possibilities of me going but it just isn't possible. They can't get there before 4pm when they arrive (as stipulated by cottage owners) so if I go with them I will be there for about 24 hours max, as I would have to leave the following afternoon to be back in time for work on Monday morning. Pain in the bloody arse, my job.

catweazle Thu 21-Aug-08 21:41:46

My DD1 went off to the South of France with my parents for 3 weeks when she was 3 grin

I didn't even consider getting her back in an emergency blush

JuneBugJen Thu 21-Aug-08 21:42:16

Let her go... she will be with people she loves. Don't feel guilty. Its not as if you are leaving her in the kitchen with a bowl of dried cat food.

If you miss her too much, go off sick (after all, when I miss my dd too much it feels like stomach ache!)

muminthecity Thu 21-Aug-08 21:49:32

Good point JBJ, I guess if we missed each other terribly I could go sick for a couple of days and jump on a train. Not sure my employers would be very impressed but tough shit. Hmmmm, I think it might well be a yes from me.

ChasingSquirrels Thu 21-Aug-08 21:54:39

sounds fine, not like she doesn't know them - she spends 3 days a week with them and they presumably know each other well.

AbbeyA Thu 21-Aug-08 22:05:15

They will all have a great time! It is too good an opportunity to miss and both sides will get so much from it.

dizzydixies Thu 21-Aug-08 22:11:26

let her have a week with her grandparents, she'll be spoilt rotten and have lovely memories of time with them

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now