Talk

Advanced search

To snigger at a rather posh steering wheel lock on...

(21 Posts)
GordonTheGopher Wed 20-Aug-08 16:34:21

...a car much like this?

LackaDAISYcal Wed 20-Aug-08 16:40:34

Yes, YABU.

The car might be someone's pride and joy or it may be that they would be lost without it, even if it looks like an old banger to you.

Also if it is a make which is easy to nick then they might be getting a break on their insurance premiums simply by using the lock.

I mean I'm an old banger but I still like to have a bit of bling going on wink

PortBlacksandResident Wed 20-Aug-08 16:40:42

LOL!

I used to do exactly the same thing - my Dad got it free (worked for posh car company) and i used to put it on my battered old mini. Used to joke it was worth more than the car.

ThatBigGermanPrison Wed 20-Aug-08 16:42:05

people who drive cars like that generally are poor, and therefore can afford neither expensive comprehensive or fire and theft insurance, or to replace the car, or to lose their job due to losing their car. People who have very little tend to take very good care of what they do have. YABU.

youcannotbeserious Wed 20-Aug-08 16:43:46

Agree with Lackadaisycal...

Often cheaper / older models are far easier to pinch because they don't have built in security... so add-on devices might bring the premium down...

The premium on my car was reduced by 50% by having a proper tracker fitted...

(Just have to say, though - I don't drive a Fiat Uno or whatever it is in that picture !! grin

GordonTheGopher Wed 20-Aug-08 16:44:14

Oh come on. Who is going to steal a pink fiat panda?

2shoes Wed 20-Aug-08 16:48:20

yabu

youcannotbeserious Wed 20-Aug-08 16:52:11

Err.. some teenage delinquents who want to set it on fire / anyone who wants to commit a crime and needs a car that is (i) easy to steal and (ii) not going to attract too much attention (I do appreciate that a pink car might not be the ideal!) / ram raiders (I appreciate that an Uno might not be ideal)

But the point is, many people and if the owner of the Pink uno can't afford to replace it, then they have to look after it carefully.

I took more care of my £7K corsa than I do of my £50K BMW, because I know it's more difficult to nick the BMW (Plus (and not being funny about it, if you own a pink Uno and feel the need to put a steering lock on it, you probably don't live in the best area...) I know I lived in a far crappier area when I owned a £7K car than I do now.

I think you are BU for taking the piss... Whoever it is, is caring for their possessions.

BouncingTurtle Wed 20-Aug-08 16:52:12

GTG - you'd be surprised. Something like that is primed to be twocked by some little scummers who have nothing better to do that nick random cheap cars, drive around the local fields and then torch them - it's what happened to a little banger belonging to one of my staff.

LackaDAISYcal Wed 20-Aug-08 16:52:28

my friends beat up old metro was stolen from her driveway; it was worth about £200. Cars are worth a bit scrap these days because the cost of scrap metal has gone sky high. Around here, if it isn't nailed down, it's nickable.

Agree it would only be stolen under cover of darkness though wink

GordonTheGopher Wed 20-Aug-08 16:57:18

I am not taking the piss out of old bangers. I am taking the piss out of a pink fiat panda.

Sorry.

I am going to start a nice thread about old bangers...

youcannotbeserious Wed 20-Aug-08 16:58:46

Ahh... It's our sentimental side... Someone loves that old Pink fiat Panda...

wink

LackaDAISYcal Wed 20-Aug-08 17:02:00

lol GtG...it is a bit of an extreme colour, but someone truly will lurve that car smile

<hankers over first ever bluey-purpley fiat uno>

GordonTheGopher Wed 20-Aug-08 17:06:29

Have now started this thread.

smile

cheshirekitty Wed 20-Aug-08 17:10:18

My dad had a little Reliant Robin (he could not afford the fourth wheel), and put a post sporty gear stick on it. He loved that car!!YABU

cheshirekitty Wed 20-Aug-08 17:11:38

Sorry - should have said posh, sporty gear stick!!

TheHedgeWitch Wed 20-Aug-08 17:17:55

Message withdrawn

GordonTheGopher Wed 20-Aug-08 17:23:49

Thank you THW I was beginning to think MN had lost its sense of humour.

TheHedgeWitch Wed 20-Aug-08 17:47:27

Message withdrawn

youcannotbeserious Wed 20-Aug-08 18:05:02

Yeah... I do pretty much agree, THW, but there is always some numpty out there who'll do it, and if it's the only car you can afford, then I can see why you'd look after it.

Gordon - I do see that you meant this thread in jest, and I'm not trying to be funny, but out of all the cars I've owned, I'd actually have been most gutted if the cheapest one had been nicked - cos in % terms, it meant SOOOO much to me...

I suppose I just feel for the little pink Panda... It's not the car's fault! wink

GordonTheGopher Wed 20-Aug-08 18:07:15

YCBS go and stick a picture of it on my other thread then!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now