Talk

Advanced search

To think this is stupid?

(17 Posts)
Kimi Wed 20-Aug-08 09:56:59

Took DSs swimming yesterday to big pool with slides, pirate ship, whirl pool and so on.
BIG notice at the pay desk about NO photos to be taken, needed managers ok if you wanted to take photos and had to make your self known to life guards if you had managers ok and were going to take photos BUT they had a member of staff taking random photos of people in the pool that you could buy for an over priced amount after your swim....

So let me see I can not take photos of MY children swimming but THEY can, and without my say so.
Stupid just plane stupid

MaureenMLove Wed 20-Aug-08 10:07:45

That's complete mad! I think I'd have to make a complaint to the management - but then, I'm a stroppy cow! grin

TotalChaos Wed 20-Aug-08 10:08:33

YANBU

Kimi Wed 20-Aug-08 10:10:05

MML, I have an email all ready to go, but just thought I would ccheck it was not just me being stroppy. grin

nickytwotimes Wed 20-Aug-08 10:11:02

Blinkin' hell.
YANBU at all!

MaureenMLove Wed 20-Aug-08 10:12:08

Stroppy people unite! grin

nailpolish Wed 20-Aug-08 10:12:56

they are just money grabbing

id complain hugely

onceinalifetime Wed 20-Aug-08 10:13:17

Where was this?

JammyQueenOfTheSewers Wed 20-Aug-08 10:14:50

It is not unusual to only allow photography in a publib pool with manager's permission. My Dad did a sponsored personal triathlon a few years ago and I took photos. I had to sign a form and be issued with a permit to take pics in the pool. And there weren't even any children in. It was explained as a privacy thing, that many people would feel uncomfortable at the thought that any stranger could take photos of them in just a swimsuit. So that I can understand. Seems odd about the other photographer though.

Kimi Wed 20-Aug-08 10:14:57

Bracknell

nailpolish Wed 20-Aug-08 10:17:25

i would understnad the rule about not allowing random people to take pictures, BUT there is still a stranger taking photos of the children. even if you buy the pictures, he will still have copies

if you want to go down that road, has he had a disclosure check? DOES he have copies? what does he do with unwanted pictures?

etc

nailpolish Wed 20-Aug-08 10:18:33

you could easy go up to this photographer and tell him you forbid him to take pics of your children.

that sort of thing

Kimi Wed 20-Aug-08 10:19:43

Jammy, I see their point about having to have a reason to take photos... But they did not ask if I minded them taking photos.

I do not know what they do with those photos, (delete them I would guess but thats not the point). It just seems bad that they can take a photo without my permission AND sell it to me (not that we brought any).
Its not like the logflume at thorpe park, its a swimming pool, lots of saggy bottoms in swimsuits that don't cover enough (shudder) or was that just me grin

nailpolish Wed 20-Aug-08 10:20:59

YES i totally agree - they did not ask you if you minded

2 can play at that game tell them

id write to the local paper too - i bet loads of people feel the same

Kimi Wed 20-Aug-08 10:24:50

I shall tell them I have copy rights to my children, and the patent too grin

JammyQueenOfTheSewers Wed 20-Aug-08 10:26:36

I agree that I wouldn't be happy with a stranger ("official" or otherwise) taking photos of my DD without my permission, especially in swimsuit. I was just trying to point out that I think your complaint should be that photos could be taken without parental consent, not that he could and you couldn't.

Maybe part of the agreement for the other photographer was that images would be destroyed at end of session? I reaaly don't know, just speculating. Csn't remember the conditions I signed up to now, too long ago, sorry.

rosmerta Wed 20-Aug-08 11:07:54

Kimi, I know the pool you're talking about, we went there the other weekend. Iirc, I saw a photographer but he wasn't taking photos randomly, I think people had to ask him to take one.

It is v stupid & cheeky not to let you take your own just so they can try & sell you theirs!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now