Talk

Advanced search

to think that if marrow was as nice as people make out...

(43 Posts)
ThatBigGermanPrison Wed 20-Aug-08 00:08:13

we wouldn't have a plethora of threads every year saying "WTF shall I do with this enormous marrow?"

Because things that are delicious get eaten again and again, they don't get discussed. Nobody starts threads entitled "WTF shall I do with this great big roast chicken?" or "WTF shall I do with all these peaches?" do we?

The answer to all your marrow queries is to ram it firmly into the compost heap, and use it to grow something edible next time!

objectivity Wed 20-Aug-08 00:10:45

Pmsl!
Are marrows actually different to courgettes? I thought they were just bitter, overgrown courgettes.

Marrows are rank.

stealthsquiggle Wed 20-Aug-08 00:11:22

LOL - I think it may be because one marrow is nice but flipping loads of them (as you tend to get) is not.

stealthsquiggle Wed 20-Aug-08 00:11:59

are not blush

objectivity Wed 20-Aug-08 00:14:31

We need this

Aitch Wed 20-Aug-08 00:14:55

our neighbours gave us marrows a couple of years ago, we had to pretend we'd eaten them... blush one of them was bigger than dd at the time.

TheDuchessOfNorksBride Wed 20-Aug-08 00:15:33

Turn your back on your lovely baby courgettes for a day and what do you know? Bloody great watery yueurgh marrows all over the place. I cut them in half and feed them to the chickens.

suey2 Wed 20-Aug-08 00:16:57

ha! I thought you meant bone marrow! Yum yum. The other one is tasteless I agree

Overmydeadbody Wed 20-Aug-08 00:17:43

lol

Marrowes are pointless. Completely utterly pointless.

ThatBigGermanPrison Wed 20-Aug-08 00:17:55

That's because they're NOT nice. Things that are nice keep being nice. Like strawberries, for instance. We don't get fed up of strawberries. When we have more than we can eat, we make jam with them, so we can enjoy them for longer.

Or apples - we preserve apples wrapped in paper.

No child ever went marrow picking, coming out 2lb heavier than he went in. Small boys do not scrump, and have never scrumped, marrows. Birds do not steal them, slugs don't want them.

We don't eat them for a treat, with ice cream. Nobody craves a roasted marrow. Everything we do with marrows (frying, stuffing, currying) has been designed to stop it having the taste or texture of marrow.

Tittybangbang Wed 20-Aug-08 00:18:05

In Sunday's Observer there was a recipe for making rum out of marrows. grin

google it.

Can't think of anything else you can do with marrow that would bring you more pleasure.

My mum used to chop marrows up, boil them and serve them with a white sauce. sad

Soapbox Wed 20-Aug-08 00:19:22

I do actually like marrows and absolutely lurve courgettes. In fact my DCs demolish my wonderful courgette dish which can also be made with marrows!

You coursely grate an enormous bowl full of courgettes/marrows and then squeeze out any water. You put a sprinkle of salt and lots and lots of black pepper on and a scoop of butter (large knob). Mix in loosely and then put a dinner plate on top of bowl and stick in the microwave for 3-4 mins. Once cooked stir to mix butter through and then serve as a veg accompaniament.

If making pasta you can do the above recipe with garlic butter and stir through pasta - lovely!

ThatBigGermanPrison Wed 20-Aug-08 00:20:24

Soapbox, you could do the very same thing with wet stale bread to the same effect, I'm sure.

Aitch Wed 20-Aug-08 00:20:51

<sniggers> at large knob.

ThatBigGermanPrison Wed 20-Aug-08 00:21:20

Titty. did it look like snot? I bet it did, I bet it tasting like snot too.

Soapbox Wed 20-Aug-08 00:28:28

Ha! Ha! Ha!

Honestly it is far, far better than it sounds. Admittedly it looks a little bit like a big bowl of snot - but my DS probably enjoys it for exactly that reason [boak]

You really do need to try it - it is lovely - I'm not shitting you - really!

Aitch Wed 20-Aug-08 00:36:23

shock

did soapbox say 'shitting'?

SAINT SOAPY OFCHRISTMAS?!!?

is she high on marrow gin?

Soapbox Wed 20-Aug-08 00:42:50

Aitch - I have a 'rich' use of the English language! I think that is possibly because my Scottishness likes to rebel every now and againgrin

HappypillsGalore Wed 20-Aug-08 00:43:09

hey dilly, whats with the namechange wink

i dont really know what a marrow is tbh.is iut an overgrown courgette?
coz if it is, we have a few.
d'you know, the more courgettes i grow, the more i realise i dont like em.
but you live and learn, eh?

sweetcorn. now theres a thing to grow.
id say the same about strawberries, but ive been intimidated out of going anywhere near them by the local wasp population blushsad
fuckers.

Soapbox Wed 20-Aug-08 00:44:03

Oh and my courgette thing, was a fabulous preBLW baby food. Perfect for the littlies to grab a handful of and stuff into their mouths

TheDuchessOfNorksBride Wed 20-Aug-08 00:45:05

grin

I think growing marrows should be the new event at 2012 Olympics. Soapy and her DSs can judge it according to the 3 Ss - size, shape and snottiness.

HappypillsGalore Wed 20-Aug-08 00:46:53

well ok, but i warn you all now, im taking gold.
and i aint doing any of the eating/testing.

CvQ Wed 20-Aug-08 00:46:54

i dont think ive ever seen a marrowblush

Soapbox Wed 20-Aug-08 00:48:52

Oh yes, I'll be miss judgy pantsgrin

When I was a vegetarian, I used to get very excited about marrows - stuffed marrows actuallywink

HappypillsGalore Wed 20-Aug-08 00:49:50

ah, then its you i should ask; what on earth does one stuff a marrow with, if one were to do such a thing?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now