Talk

Advanced search

To think that a size 16 is not fat

(285 Posts)
roseability Tue 19-Aug-08 21:48:00

I mean I would say this, as I am surprisingly enough a size 16.

When I was younger I dieted, starved and fought myself into a size 10-12. I just can't be bothered anymore. My DH seems to like my curves and I feel it is only society that deems I should be thinner.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a size 10-12 BTW but I think some women are naturally smaller sizes than others

I want to stand up to all this size 0 shit! Why can't we just be the size we are without feeling inadequate.

What do you all think?
How do you feel about your size?
What is your opinion of other's size?

Am I harking on about nothing or should Mnetters stand up and embrace their curves/lumps/bumps grin

Dior Tue 19-Aug-08 21:49:14

Message withdrawn

roseability Tue 19-Aug-08 21:52:14

I think I am about 2 stone over BMI ideal but I am healthy and I exercise

Don't want this to turn nasty, just a thread to express opinions regarding size and the pressure to be thin and have perfect post natal bodies etc etc

slayerette Tue 19-Aug-08 21:53:09

I am a size 16 and a good two and a half stone over what I should weigh to be healthy/toned. And I don't like myself at this size even though I do try to pretend that smaller women are too skinny grin

Big difference between size 0 and size 16 - there are a couple of sizes in between! - and I know I would be healthier if I were a size 12 or even 14.

slayerette Tue 19-Aug-08 21:53:22

I am a size 16 and a good two and a half stone over what I should weigh to be healthy/toned. And I don't like myself at this size even though I do try to pretend that smaller women are too skinny grin

Big difference between size 0 and size 16 - there are a couple of sizes in between! - and I know I would be healthier if I were a size 12 or even 14.

slayerette Tue 19-Aug-08 21:54:31

Sorry - computer on a go-slow!

missjennipenni Tue 19-Aug-08 21:55:07

I do think size 16 is fat (well, i prefer to say "overweight") as i doubt many size 16 are within the healthy BMI range

missjennipenni Tue 19-Aug-08 21:55:45

Though i do agree we need to embrace our curves! I just wish it wasnt to the expense of our health lol

hercules1 Tue 19-Aug-08 21:57:02

Once I hit size 14 I am an unhealthy bmi.

sandyballs Tue 19-Aug-08 21:57:06

Interesting. I am also a 16 but only just over a healthy/normal BMI. Weird isn't it. I've always thought that about weight/size.

Ewe Tue 19-Aug-08 21:57:24

I'm a 14 but was 16 at my last shopping trip, I am all for embracing curves but know that personally I feel more comfortable as a 12 than I do a 16.

Dior Tue 19-Aug-08 21:57:29

Message withdrawn

roseability Tue 19-Aug-08 21:58:29

Oh well I need to stop kidding myself sad

Have spent the last 16 years worrying about my weight (even when I wasn't overweight!)

Clinging onto hope that some women are happy being a size 16 or over

QuintessentialShadows Tue 19-Aug-08 21:59:22

I am size 16, I am fat. According to BMI I am obese.

But I am also tall. I am fit, exercise and dont overeat, so I dont know what else I can do to be honest!

BibiThree Tue 19-Aug-08 21:59:24

I am a size 16-18 and hate it to be honest. Obviously not enough to do something about it, but if I could choose i'd be slimmer as I'm very short anyway so it's really not healthy for me to be this much overweight.

Saying that, when I was a size 8 I was unhealthy, constantly hungry and throwing up 3 times a day. Not good. So I guess that was more unhealthy.

oldcrock Tue 19-Aug-08 22:00:05

Well, I'm a 16 and would like to be slimmer, but my BMI is only just over 25 as I am quite tall. So height of person is obviously a key point. Also body shape - curvier women have larger hips which tends towards larger sizes! This doesn't necessarily mean fat.

But in general a person who is a 16 is not likely to be underweight!

missjennipenni Tue 19-Aug-08 22:00:22

There are loads of women who are happy to be a size 16 or over! Just like some prefer to be smaller!

Dior Tue 19-Aug-08 22:00:43

Message withdrawn

rookiemater Tue 19-Aug-08 22:01:55

I have recently lost some weight and have gone from a well upholstered 14-16 to a 12-14, which is about the lowest I can go without having to seriously cut back. I feel much happier at this weight and tbh am surprised about how little effort it took once I made a few changes to my eating style.

If you are happy with your weight and size then thats fine. I do feel that the BMI guide is fairly generous about the upper weight limit to remain under 25, so would suggest that if you are quite a lot over that, then whilst you may feel happy and well, it may be better for your long term health to make a few adjustments.

Am I judgemental ? Well I do have to admit that I find it hard to understand why someone would become massively overweight, mainly because of the restrictions it puts on their life style. I also find it hard to believe when someone who is a very large size say 20+ says they are totally happy and comfortable with their weight. Perhaps they are and this is more to do with me than them, I don't know.

roseability Tue 19-Aug-08 22:04:06

Sandyballs - BMI does seem to be dubious sometimes

I got into a heated debate on another thread about BMI/weight and the right to fertility treatment. I really don't want to start that again sad

I really believe size shouldn't matter, but unfortunately it does!

For those of us who feel unhappy with our size, why is that?

Would we still feel this way if (as in renaissance times) society deemed curves healthy?

Is it relative? For example in some cultures big really is beautiful

Do your husbands/partners find you more or less attractive?

Is it a feminist issue?

missjennipenni Tue 19-Aug-08 22:06:09

my wobbly belly wouldnt be attractive in any society grin

ReallyTired Tue 19-Aug-08 22:07:43

I don't think that BMI is a good way of assessing obesity. If a woman has a lot of muscle she may be be a size 16 without being fat. Ie. the olympic shot putters probably are at least a size 16.

Also some women can end up wearing size 16 clothes because they have large breasts, but a tiny waist. (Ie. 38" bust but 26" waist, 34" hips)

I think that Dior's sister has a sensible attitude. She has found a fanastic man who loves her for who she is. I think we need to learn to love our bodies and not half kill ourselves to attain the impossible.

kama Tue 19-Aug-08 22:07:44

Message withdrawn

roseability Tue 19-Aug-08 22:07:52

I mean we all have good points e.g. I have great legs and a good bum (I would never say that in RL!)

BUT my tummy is very wobbly. However it grew a beautiful son.

elkiedee Tue 19-Aug-08 22:08:10

I'm size 14 and have a high BMI (as I'm only 5'2"). I'd like to be slimmer. At my ideal weight I'd probably be a size 12, maybe just a slimmer size 14. But I really don't like the way that BMI and clothes sizes are being used in isolation to make women feel bad about themselves. Lots of us have weird food complexes and could eat more healthily, but pushing people into yo yo dieting or worse, weight loss surgery (eg gastric bands) doesn't seem to me like the way to go.

I do know women whose build probably means that even if they're fit and healthy, and not just measured by BMI, they're not going to be less than a size 16 (or even an 18).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now