Talk

Advanced search

to be annoyed that my bank took money out of my account and just kept it for a day

(9 Posts)
beansmum Tue 19-Aug-08 19:36:54

before depositing it into my 'money I am allowed to spend' account? I know it's not much, just enough to cover my food/shopping bills for a month, but it's MINE. It's not for the bank to just hold onto for a day for no good reason. grrrrrrrrrrr

crazymummy84 Tue 19-Aug-08 19:41:20

How was the money put into your account?

LaVieEnRose Tue 19-Aug-08 19:41:51

was it done by standing order?

You usually can only get access the day after it leaves your account so that you have chance to get the money back in case you need it in the original account after all. Stupid I know!

Also because banks systems are stupidly slow angry

Dynamicnanny Tue 19-Aug-08 19:45:27

Can't be as bad as the siutation I'm in my ex boss pai some money to me through internet banking in the mid of July and it still hasn't made it into my account - makes you wonder what they're doing with the money.

beansmum Tue 19-Aug-08 19:47:41

I have a standing order set up from one account to the other, but I haven't had to wait before, it usually goes through straight away. So where does the money go? Is it just earning the bank a (tiny, tiny) bit of interest somewhere?

GentleOtter Tue 19-Aug-08 19:50:10

Was it the Bank of Scotland perchance?

beansmum Tue 19-Aug-08 19:50:47

RBS

frasersmummy Tue 19-Aug-08 20:00:37

If your accts are both with rbs it should be debited and credited on the same day.

The only time I know of this being different is if your standing order is due to be paid on a weekend. In this case I believe they move the money from the orig acct to pending. This means its still in the original acct but no longer shows in your available funds over the weekend

The new acct will not be creidted till the next banking day which will be the Monday

beansmum Tue 19-Aug-08 20:33:34

It wasn't a weekend, and both accounts are with RBS. That's why I was surprised (and pissed off).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now