Talk

Advanced search

at this kids t-shirt

(26 Posts)
Sunshine78 Tue 19-Aug-08 16:10:22

Have just seen a tshirt in mothercare that reads Girls are better than boys. As the mother of both a ds and dd I find this a bit sexest (looked on website and could not see one that said boys are better than girls).

It really annoys me that its retailers seem to force the message that girls are best I've even had some mums (of girls!) claim girls are best I love both of mine equally and think they are both the best!

Probabaly making more of it than is meant but it just annoyed me.

Rubyrubyruby Tue 19-Aug-08 16:12:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

falcon Tue 19-Aug-08 16:13:22

It would annoy me too.

Troutpout Tue 19-Aug-08 16:20:24

All slogan t-shirts (particularly ones about being a boy or a girl) are horrible imo

silvercrown Tue 19-Aug-08 16:55:57

My daughter has one saying "friends are forever boys are whatever" - I think that's a good one.

misdee Tue 19-Aug-08 16:57:00

i have one, saying girls are evil.

but it is mine.

and ithink i am quite evil [cackles]

bundle Tue 19-Aug-08 16:59:16

yabu

need to get out more

wonderstuff Tue 19-Aug-08 16:59:52

Lol silvercrown love that. You are right Sunshine, the tee is sexist, was there a boys are better than girls one?

hercules1 Tue 19-Aug-08 17:00:24

I normally dont like slogans either but that's a good one.

cathym Tue 19-Aug-08 17:26:10

I don't like dressing kids in clothes with slogans that they aren't old enough to understand themselves. Just seems wrong to me.

SoupDragon Tue 19-Aug-08 17:27:52

Would be fine if there were a boys version.

PinkyDinkyDooToo Tue 19-Aug-08 17:48:25

I don't like it at all. And not only because I have two DS's. I don't mond some slogant-shirts but that is wrong

wahwah Tue 19-Aug-08 18:16:06

It's crap and you are right to be upset.

Smithagain Tue 19-Aug-08 18:18:15

It's tacky and sexist ....... but competition between girls and boys about who's "best" is nothing new and it's probably best not to agonise about it in a terribly adult way.

Alambil Tue 19-Aug-08 18:19:58

The whole "boys are awful" thing REALLY pisses me off - only last week I was in Adams getting some school jumpers for DS and the woman said "oh, 3 jumpers - that means he's a rough little boy doesn't it"

I said "No, it means I have some spare and don't need to wash one so often actually"

Turniphead1 Tue 19-Aug-08 18:24:31

Just can't bear "witty" or "cutsey" t-shirts for children (or indeed pregnant T-shirts - shoot me now the day and hour you see me in a "It Started with a Kiss" / "Bump Under Construction" t-shirt (reaches for the sick bucket).

Children shouldn't be wearing slogans they don't understand, that make adults laugh. HOWEVER, I did (hypocritically) laugh at the idea of a baby t-shirt available in the States that reads "Mummy Drinks Because I Cry" referenced in Chasing Harry Winston. Would never put a child in it, but did think the idea amusing.

So no YANBU.

TenaciousG Tue 19-Aug-08 18:42:28

at least it didn't say this.

hate bratty slogan tees.

Turniphead1 Tue 19-Aug-08 18:55:41

Jeez - that's nice!? I have to agree the one-sided element to this is annoying. It's OK to say bad things about boys/men but not girls/women. It's like how it is OK to have men being stupid on adverts but not women. Really odd. I know women get a raw deal on hmmmm hundreds of other issues but I don't think inequality against women will be solved by slagging off men.

slayerette Tue 19-Aug-08 18:58:03

There is a boys' version. DS was bought one for his birthday that says: 'Boys rule'. He loves it! grin

TenaciousG Tue 19-Aug-08 19:00:02

tbh, women are presented as vapid stupid gossipy thickos in many adverts too. Advertising displays equal opportunities cuntitude.

But largely I agree with you. It pisses me off when trying to buy eg a Fatehr's Day card for my dad, and pretty much every single card is like 'oh dad you are a fat bald drunk couch potato who is ruining our home with your shit DIY - lol!!!'

TenaciousG Tue 19-Aug-08 19:00:53

*Father's Day.

Girls can't type grin

Turniphead1 Tue 19-Aug-08 19:08:24

Tenacious - "cuntitude" is now up in my top 5 MN expressions. No.1 is something "boils your piss". Can't remember who wrote it - but fab.

"Boys Rule" is I suppose accurate on a factual basis. IE 99% of world leaders are men...

DontCallMeBaby Tue 19-Aug-08 19:09:54

But 'boys rule' isn't the boys' version, not really. DD had some variation on 'girls are great' when she was littler, I didn't mind that. 'Girls are better than boys' though, I don't like. Also saw it in Mothercare yesterday and though 'yuck'.

TenaciousG Tue 19-Aug-08 19:21:11

Oh, I remember the 'boils my piss' thread as well, who was it now? I am indeed honoured grin

Turniphead1 Tue 19-Aug-08 19:23:12

Hmmmm TH goes off to do an MN search with "boils my piss" as keywords

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now