Talk

Advanced search

To think £30 is too much to charge for putting my hair up?

(20 Posts)
bonnibaby Tue 19-Aug-08 14:55:25

For a wedding?
Just been quoted this at our local hairdressers.
I live near Manchester.
Or am i being tight?

TheArmadillo Tue 19-Aug-08 14:56:16

don't tell them it's for a wedding, usually it's cheaper if you don't.

Dropdeadfred Tue 19-Aug-08 14:57:18

Sorry I think you're being tight.

I doubt it is a case of siply ptting your hair up is it...are you asking for something special? I think it's cheap tbh

Flibbertyjibbet Tue 19-Aug-08 15:00:29

Its not just 'putting your hair up' like in a ponytail.
They wash it, they dry it prob on rollers to give it lots of body and bounce. They arrange it so that it is 'up' in a lovley style. If its your wedding they do it so that any head dress or tiara will sit in and stay in all day too.

£30 is cheap to me and I live near Manchester too.

If you just want your hair 'up' then get some bobbles and kirby grips.

mayorquimby Tue 19-Aug-08 15:01:05

if you think it's too much don't pay it.
find someone that's cheaper, that's the joys of a free economy.

wholeheartedly agree that yanbu to think it's too much.

what would BU is if you know the price of it before hand, agree to it,pay the money and then moan about it after.

bonnibaby Tue 19-Aug-08 15:01:07

Just a straight forward pinned up thing.
Will probably do it myself, i AM tight grin
Thought i might treat myself as never had it done before at hairdressers but had no idea how much they charge for it.

bonnibaby Tue 19-Aug-08 15:02:14

Its not my wedding by the way i am just a guest.I did explain that to them.

TinkerBellesMum Tue 19-Aug-08 15:15:23

I normallly get my hair tongued (already clean and dry) for £10. Asked the place on my road for my sisters wedding and they said £40! I'm not sure who around here pays that shock

Look around, if it's not something complicated you want, you should be able to bring it down from £30.

Bumdiddley Tue 19-Aug-08 15:18:36

Someone tongues your hair??

georgimama Tue 19-Aug-08 15:19:22

You have to think of the time it will take them - they will be faffing with it for a good 45 mins I should imagine, and they could do a wash cut and blowdry in that time for £30 +.

It sounds about right in terms of price to me, if you don't want to pay that much, do it yourself.

glaskhamhasoneintheoven Tue 19-Aug-08 15:22:58

I'm a qualified hairdresser and that sounds about right for me and i came from a cheap(ish) hairdressers!! If you think most of the time when doing 'hair up' you can't fit anyone else in-between like you can with the colours etc, so you have a good 45-60mins of just doing one persona hair, in the same time i could apply possibly 2 colours and cut someones hair which would bring in around £60+!!

colacubes Tue 19-Aug-08 15:23:10

Hah the wedding tariff!

TinkerBellesMum Tue 19-Aug-08 15:31:13

lol spell checker wouldn't pick that up! Tongs my hair grin

Doesn't take 45 mins to an hour to do my hair and it's nearly waist length (might have to think about having it cut soon, maybe before the baby hmm) even doing it myself I can do it in half an hour. Doesn't sound like bonnibaby is having as much done as that.

glaskhamhasoneintheoven Tue 19-Aug-08 15:35:41

but she says its pinning up.... normally (where i come from) we'd wash, then set the hair on rollers before pinning it up. also as you've never pinned the hair up before it may take longer than expected, you never know how someone's hair will pin until doing it... IME anyway.... if its not a wash and set before then obviously it wouldn't take as long, therefore not much to justify extra cost IMO.

TinkerBellesMum Tue 19-Aug-08 15:40:36

I think "pinned up" can probably be a bit generic. I say that or "pinned back" about Tink's hair when I twist it back (makes it longer) and put hair clips in it.

Onestonetogo Tue 19-Aug-08 15:52:44

Message withdrawn

TheDevilWearsPrimark Tue 19-Aug-08 15:55:05

I had an up do for a wedding recently. They told me to wash it myself the day before as if it was freshly washed it wouldn't pin up as well.

It took maybe 20 minutes and cost £40.

Seabright Tue 19-Aug-08 15:57:01

£30 sounds like a bargain to me. Wish my local hairdressers charged as little as that envy

Alambil Tue 19-Aug-08 18:23:12

That's CHEAP!!

bunchoflowers Tue 19-Aug-08 18:26:29

It's about the going rate, but I wouldn't bother if I were you - you could probably get a friend to do a better job! Just get a wedding or hair magazine and find something you like. It's not that difficult!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now