Talk

Advanced search

to be a leetle peeved at the prospect if a 6 year old coming to my birthday do?

(42 Posts)
DrNortherner Tue 19-Aug-08 12:13:19

Some girl friends and I are off to see Girls Aloud in concert for my birthday (i know, i know grin)

Anyway, its an outdoor event so food and wine will be flowing. SIL mentions she would like to come, great, then she says her DD would love it too and she will try to get tickets.

WWYD?

DrNortherner Tue 19-Aug-08 12:13:59

BTW I adore my niece, but just having an 'but it's my birthday' moment!

tiredemma Tue 19-Aug-08 12:14:34

I would say no, adults only.

squeaver Tue 19-Aug-08 12:14:50

I agree. That's a bit much.

notnowbernard Tue 19-Aug-08 12:15:25

No Way!!

falcon Tue 19-Aug-08 12:15:30

No I'd say it's an adult's only occasion and that she can go another night if she wants to bring her dd.

Hecate Tue 19-Aug-08 12:15:53

Well, tbh I think a 6yr old is the perfect audience for Girls Aloud. wink

girls aloud. <shakes head> I love you, but what are you thinking?!

DrNortherner Tue 19-Aug-08 12:16:43

It will be fun hecate. I can drink wine and dance like a mad woman, and I know all the words!

LilRedWG Tue 19-Aug-08 12:16:59

Maybe just gently point out that it is a group of adult females going and that vast amounts of alcohol will be consumed, and does she really want her DD around that..... She should get the hint.

nametaken Tue 19-Aug-08 12:18:07

Depends whose paying? If she's paying for herself and her dd there isn't anything you can do really.

It would piss me off though.

Hecate Tue 19-Aug-08 12:19:05

You know all the WORDS? shock To girls aloud 'songs'

I'm sorry, I can no longer interact with you. It's my policy. Nothing personal.

grin

TigerFeet Tue 19-Aug-08 12:22:26

lol Hecate

Northerner could you say somehting like "You do realise this is a piss up?" to your SIL and see whether that jogs her into realising that even though its Grils Aloud it isn't a suitable do for a 6yo?

Is she likely to be upset if you just said "I don't think it's a good idea for <neice> to come along, the wine will be flowing"?

ThatBigGermanPrison Tue 19-Aug-08 12:24:46

It's going to be full of little girls you know?

It's like going to get pissed at a Punch and Judy show - nobody can stop you, but it's not entirely appropriate.

Heifer Tue 19-Aug-08 12:25:09

Just be honest and say that you would rather your neice didn't come along this time, as you will be with your friends and there were all looking forward to an adult only evening.

Well as adult only as a Girls Aloud concert can be.... grin

AbbaFan Tue 19-Aug-08 12:26:00

I would go and see Girls Aloud too - they are fab!

I would say just adults too....what if you decide to go to a bar or something after.

Hecate Tue 19-Aug-08 12:29:42

oh yes, it'll be FULL of mothers judging you! I can't wait for the mn thread afterwards.

AIBU to be so pissed off with a group of grown women getting pissed at a kids concert....

grin

Aimsmum Tue 19-Aug-08 12:31:35

Message withdrawn

DrNortherner Tue 19-Aug-08 12:33:25

Lol. I hadn't thought about it from that perspective.

Oh well, it's my birthday and I'll get pissed if I want to. grin

Hecate Tue 19-Aug-08 12:35:05

So, just out of interest, what day are you going?

giraffescantdancethetango Tue 19-Aug-08 13:44:59

I bet hecate wants to know what day cos she is secretly going too and doesnt want her "I only listen to cool music" cover to be blown grin go on admit it...

Elf Tue 19-Aug-08 14:24:46

Definitely just tell your SIL that you don't want your niece to come. It's an adult birthday celebration after all. Let us know what she says. It's YOUR birthday anyway, you should be able to choose the guests.

MaryAnnSingleton Tue 19-Aug-08 14:26:36

YANBU - it's your party and a grown ups evening, even if your choice of musical entertainment appeals to younger ones

LongLiveCuckoo Tue 19-Aug-08 14:33:00

I don't blame you. Where you're going is irrelevant. You'll have to moderate your behaviour and language and drinking all evening long..... on your birthday , bit of a pita. I wouldn't want my children coming out with me on my birthday. And they're my own children and I love them. So nyanbu.

naughtynaughtynamechange Tue 19-Aug-08 14:34:31

PMSL at Punch & Judy show.

I took acid at an IMAX Simpsons film once and it was awful. Me and my friend out of our trees and six hundred eight year olds.

But you are not BU.

HumphreyHassock Tue 19-Aug-08 14:36:08

It wouldn't bother me at all.
Girls Aloud concert sounds ideal for a 6 yo girl.
Her Mum will be responsible for her.
You can get rat-arsed, and your SIL can be the designated driver.
Sorted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now