Talk

Advanced search

Are we allowed play schemes? Or does that bug you too?

(27 Posts)
narkymum Tue 19-Aug-08 09:00:06

Every year I plan a lovely school hols, me and the kids long summer days....
If it rains then the dc playing ludo Enid Blyton style .Baking cakes flying kites and all laughing gayly.
The reality?
Day two, them fighting, me shouting.
Day three me ringing round play schemes to see if there are any spaces!
Does that make me a shit mum?

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Tue 19-Aug-08 09:01:38

my dd is old enough for playscheme next year. i have been counting the years ever since she started nursery.

my sister went to playscheme and she loved it. they do all sorts with them i dont think its a problem your dc will enjoy it

belgo Tue 19-Aug-08 09:02:24

grin it makes you a totally normal mum!

The holidays are 9 weeks long in Belgium and parents couldn't cope without playschemes, and neither could the children!

CaptainFabioHiltsTheCoolerCat Tue 19-Aug-08 09:02:47

No, it makes you idealistic.
Ring round the October half term playschemes now .
Then you will have a lovely week flying kites and baking cakes to your heart's content. grin

sarah293 Tue 19-Aug-08 09:04:49

Message withdrawn

narkymum Tue 19-Aug-08 09:05:35

when I saybug you I am refering to op a few threads down.Btw.
My kids bickering bugs me grin

Cappuccino Tue 19-Aug-08 09:06:19

my dd1 went to summer drama playscheme

she loved it

she was so tired afterwards that she slept from 4pm to 7.30am

mwahahahahahaha

sarah293 Tue 19-Aug-08 09:07:10

Message withdrawn

Romy7 Tue 19-Aug-08 09:12:53

riven - please tell me you are joking! there are always playschemes available for disabled children, but they need booking early, usually through ss. run by the local authority in many cases. next summer (when she is at school) you should automatically get contacted about booking a place. make sure you find out who your extended schools co-ordinator is at the local council, as sometimes disabled kids in mainstream get 'missed' off the lists - the booking forms automatically go out via all the special schools and units. it works slightly differently in each area, so make sure you hassles people in advance. as she is statemented, ss might provide additional funding so that she can attend the mainstream playscheme, but they are usually based around sports centres. the sn one here is fab - they go on loads of days out and have all sorts of fab activities going on. sometimes you don't get as many places as you want though as they can be very over-subscribed, so make sure you ask for additional dps for the holidays. that way you can make sure you have enough support to get through.

Romy7 Tue 19-Aug-08 09:13:53

you are in receipt of dps i take it? you don't have to answer that - it's my assumption grin

Romy7 Tue 19-Aug-08 09:17:03

my big 2 went to a 'musical theatre' workshop for a week. they sang and danced to abba (i'm assuming it was vaguely mamma mia themed) and i had the funniest week listening to a 6 year old boy singing 'chiquitita' and 'thank you for the music' grin
good excuse to get abba gold out again tho eh?
i've only got swimming crash courses to look forward to next week. mummy as taxi driver.
now, where did i put the pe kit?

sarah293 Tue 19-Aug-08 09:18:44

Message withdrawn

sarah293 Tue 19-Aug-08 09:19:53

Message withdrawn

misdee Tue 19-Aug-08 09:23:22

OMG riven, i dont belive they havent told you about playschemes.

SGK kids go to a local one here, think its £12 a day for each of them, they have support workers, etc etc. its a good break for the kids and the parents. here its run by CATS i think. I used to be a cleaner at the school they ran it from, and they had children with lots of different disabilities there.

PheasantPlucker Tue 19-Aug-08 09:27:07

DD1 is at a playscheme this week (well not today, she had a seizure and is in bed). She has CP, epilepsy and more.... I pay for the scheme, SS pay for a 1-1 worker to help her there. Our local SS provide up to 2 weeks 1-1. It is a fight to get it though, and they don't broadcast the fact widely.

Romy7 Tue 19-Aug-08 09:31:05

some places are run by KIDS too.

i don't think you'd have got on this year - most start with school - but definitely make sure you are well in on the act for next year.
i'm always slightly hmm that sn kids in mainstream get utterly ignored - sort of 'you've made your bed, now lie in it' attitude. bit of a bee in my bonnet!
but now the extended schools co-ordinator and i are the best of friends grin and i have tasked him to come up with a realistic way that we can be sure that all disabled kids in mainstream are given all the information they should be... i think he likes me a lot... wink

sarah293 Tue 19-Aug-08 09:35:05

Message withdrawn

narkymum Tue 19-Aug-08 09:38:37

Hi Riven, yes you will defo be in for a break and the council run schemes have to include all dc. Mine thats at play scheme today has very bad epilepsy and other stuff, they where not fazed. She has taken her diasipam (sp) for their fridge in case of seizure, I am only 5 mins away. Your ss needs kick in pants Grrr you should have been told.
xxxxx for miniphesantplucker.

sunnydelight Tue 19-Aug-08 09:38:39

That's really crap riven, your social worker doesn't have to be mastermind to work out that a couple of weeks fun for your DD and a chance for you to do stuff with your other kids that could be difficult to manage otherwise would make a difference to your whole family.

Our Summer holidays (not until December grin) are 8 weeks long so I let my three choose a week's activity each to keep them happy and break things up a bit.

ReallyTired Tue 19-Aug-08 09:39:45

In my area there is are two playschemes for kids with special needs. They are very different nature and cater for children with different types of special needs. A child with severe behavioural problems has very different needs to a child with CP.

I have no idea how much the parents are charged although.

I once worked on such a playscheme as a volenteer through the Quakers. Although I have no idea if the Quakers are still involved in SN playschemes.

PheasantPlucker Tue 19-Aug-08 09:40:43

Not sure re the payment Riven, I am sure there are situations where the scheme and 1-1 must be free. Really hope you can find something suitabel and nice for your dd next year - and other holidays coming up.

PheasantPlucker Tue 19-Aug-08 09:41:11

SUITABLE!

PheasantPlucker Tue 19-Aug-08 09:41:59

PS Thanks NarkyMum

Blandmum Tue 19-Aug-08 09:44:10

Re children with disabilities and play schemes.

I worked in a playscheme in the summer and easter holidays as a student, back in the 1980s and even in those days there was some provision. A boy with Downs syndome came to the play scheme with a helper.

EachPeachPearMum Tue 19-Aug-08 10:58:12

The special schools in my authority all run summer playschemes for the children that attend them, and now with extended schools, children can attend the nearest to them, not necessarily at their own school.
I don't know about charges though- but if you enquired now for october places, schools would let you know. I'm sure people on low incomes would be exempt from most if not all charges.

Does DD start school this september?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now