Talk

Advanced search

to want to participate in an internet forum where people dont spend inordinate amounts of time slagging each other off...?

(76 Posts)
farrowandball Mon 18-Aug-08 23:10:34

for some things, mumsnet is invaluable. i have received good advice, laughed out loud, read posts which have made me reflect on my own life.

but - i cant help but feel a tad repulsed by the levels of strident abuse of late.

surely its possible to acknowledge there are different ways of living/raising children and that is a good thing? within the bounds of genuinely abusive behaviour (and i dont mean using a buggy or the occasional sweet or whatever) how can anyone really be so sure that they are right, that they feel empowered to belittle and criticise others? surely its possible to contribute to discussions without getting abusive?

I cant help but feel that no-one gets it completely right. and that the point of an arena like this is to support and share.

it makes me really sad. that's all i wanted to say.

blueskythinker Mon 18-Aug-08 23:22:47

I think it is the school holidays & crap weather. It is driving everyone nuts - Mums & trolls kids.

cthea Mon 18-Aug-08 23:24:23

I just ignore some threads as they're not worth my time. I think there's lots of trolling about.

BecauseImWorthIt Mon 18-Aug-08 23:25:51

Sounds like you need to take a bit of time off if it's getting to you. IMO the best thing about MN is the robustness and directness - even if it can be a bit harsh sometimes.

CvQ Mon 18-Aug-08 23:27:15

i must miss these threads.all ive ever seen is great advice and support with a little bit of 'spice' thrown inwink

Overmydeadbody Mon 18-Aug-08 23:29:43

Just ignore the threads in question, or better still, hide them.

MN is there for support and advice, and when people really need it, that's what they get.

Aitch Mon 18-Aug-08 23:33:13

<pukes at 'support and share'>

i come here for the opinion, myself, my sense of self is sufficiently strong to cope with peopel who disagree with me. in fact i like it, i'd hate it if MN became somewhere where it was all hugz and hunnis.

lisad123 Mon 18-Aug-08 23:34:24

if it has comments about FF v BF, Working mums v SATM, stay away grin

GivePeasAChance Mon 18-Aug-08 23:34:30

Agree with Aitch. But won't give her a hug.

BecauseImWorthIt Mon 18-Aug-08 23:35:42

Oh I think we should all give Aitch lots of {{{{{{{{}}}}}}}}

Hun.

BecauseImWorthIt Mon 18-Aug-08 23:35:42

Hun.

BecauseImWorthIt Mon 18-Aug-08 23:35:43

Hun.

BecauseImWorthIt Mon 18-Aug-08 23:35:45

Hun.

BecauseImWorthIt Mon 18-Aug-08 23:36:26

Whoops - obviously so heartfelt that I had to give her hugs three times!

(sorry, Aitch!)

Aitch Mon 18-Aug-08 23:36:34

[horrified] don't even think about it.

btw when i was in student digs we used to have an oh-so-hilarious sign up above the grill saying 'make toast not war'. your name always reminds me of those happy marmitey times...

Aitch Mon 18-Aug-08 23:37:29

shock x-posted with BIWI. <shudders> <and supports and shares>

HumphreyHassock Mon 18-Aug-08 23:42:22

<<proports and stares>>

GivePeasAChance Mon 18-Aug-08 23:42:29

I hate marmite

Aitch Mon 18-Aug-08 23:43:43

i'm not a big fan of peas but i wasn't going to say...

GivePeasAChance Mon 18-Aug-08 23:44:42

Give them a chance

Aitch Mon 18-Aug-08 23:46:50

<ROFFLES>

<applauds>

oh how LONG have you wanted to say that? i'm so pleased for you. grin <shakes givepeas warmly by the hand> grin

BecauseImWorthIt Mon 18-Aug-08 23:47:52

Too mushy, Aitch.

watsthestory Mon 18-Aug-08 23:48:31

Message withdrawn

S1ur Tue 19-Aug-08 00:35:49

Perhaps you could think of mn as more than a share and support pigeonhole? (strangely that brings to mind a construction of structural hugz brackets, feathers and tmi vomit)

Anyhoo.

Mumsnet is more. People should be able to be provocative in their answers and be whatever they want in a debate, truly abusive posts always get jumped on by the rest of us and the fact that they are outweighed 100-1 is another example of mumsnet working well. Censorship and limited posting isn't as honest or healthy or helpful in a forum IMVHO.

FAQ Tue 19-Aug-08 00:39:08

"if it has comments about FF v BF, Working mums v SATM, stay away "

no that's totally wrong - if it has comments about any aspect of parenting, politics, relationships or religion - stay away grin

what's that you say? It only leaves buying and selling left.........oh............

Sleep welll everyone grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now